Fridge problem

MarkP1

Visit site
Hi,
I have a dual voltage fridge. It works fine on 12v but on 240v it runs constantly and freezes everything. Any ideas what’s wrong?
Thanks

ShinyShoe

Visit site
A notch using a cheap thermostat relay would be able to sort that. But tell us more about the fridge like a model...

boatmike

Visit site
Not explaining your problem but why run on 240 at all? If you are on shore supply I assume you have a battery charger which will keep your 12v system in good health so just leave it on 12v perhaps?

KevinV

Visit site
I seem to have a vague recollection of being on a boat with this "feature", the idea being that cooling it harder when 240v was available saved on 12v later. Have you consulted the manual?

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Hi,
I have a dual voltage fridge. It works fine on 12v but on 240v it runs constantly and freezes everything. Any ideas what’s wrong?
Thanks
Does it switch on and off with the thermostat? Some info on the unit may help, always helps to know what your dealing with!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I had a dual voltage 12Vdc 240 Vac

It was ma absorption fridge not a compressor fridge and did not have a thermostat it just cooled the inside a number of degrees below the atmosphere temperature and being in a hot climate on my boat was useless

As Alex says we need more details to see what we are dealing with

MarkP1

Visit site
Hi, apologies for delay. Been freezing on the boat. It's an Engel fridge on a sealine S37. The boat is 1996 and I suspect that the fridge is the same age.
I usually do just run it off 12v. The problem only really arises when I turn on the galley power to use the microwave and forget to turn it off again. The fridge is on the same circuit. I could probably solve the issue by sticking a reminder on the front of the microwave but it's annoying and I would like to understand how it can be OK on 12v but malfunction on 240. Thanks

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Hi, apologies for delay. Been freezing on the boat. It's an Engel fridge on a sealine S37. The boat is 1996 and I suspect that the fridge is the same age.
I usually do just run it off 12v. The problem only really arises when I turn on the galley power to use the microwave and forget to turn it off again. The fridge is on the same circuit. I could probably solve the issue by sticking a reminder on the front of the microwave but it's annoying and I would like to understand how it can be OK on 12v but malfunction on 240. Thanks
From the Engel website it would appear that it is a compressor fridge? There are a multitude of Engel fridges , What model? Does it have a thermostat and if so does it switch on and off with the stat. in both or either power sources?
Could you not connect in a separate switch/ circuit breaker and or fuse on the 240 volt side irrespective of whether the fridge is operating correctly or not.

MarkP1

Visit site
Thanks. I think you must be right about two thermostats. Probably easier to just disconnect the 240v than put in a new thermostat.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
From my vague memory of an Engel fridge it had a dual supply. If it detected that there was a 230 V supply available, it chose that and ran continuously to "store cold" . If the supply voltage was 12 V it operated on thermostat control and also cut out if the voltage got too low.

As has been said, find the shore power lead to the fridge and fit a switch.