Freshwater "bladder" tank

Visit site
Our latest boat came with a woven canvas/rubberised bladdertype water tank. Sorry for the vagueness, I am unfamiliar with such things It is partially full, and will have been for some time. The rest of the water system appears top be torn out so that will be sorted later.
My question relates to cleaning this bladder.
My idea is to remove it, hose it out to ensure there is no debris, then give it a good swilling with a sodium metabisulphate solution - simply because I am familiar with doing this with our home brew equipment and it seems to work.
Does this sound adequate to the task in hand?

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
My understanding is that the bladder has a liner which is replaceable. Whether that happens in real life I don’t know, we have a Plastimo one and I haven’t replaced it in some years although we do run it through a Jabsco filter.

seumask

Visit site
What are you going to do with a cleaner tank? not to mention the pipes and fittings etc.
In my view you'll get back to a "not so clean tank" after a few month of a recommissioned tank. The approach we have is that we are uncertain as to the quality of fresh water in the tank so if it is for human consumption then its boiled. Other wise water for consumption is in several bottles we have bring on board at the start of the journey usually refilling water bottles from the tap at home. I tend to find that the vast majority of Fresh water is used in washing up and the bathroom.

Last edited:
Visit site
What are you going to do with a cleaner tank? not to mention the pipes and fittings etc.
In my view you'll get back to a "not so clean tank" after a few month of a recommissioned tank. The approach we have is that we are uncertain as to the quality of fresh water in the tank so if it is for human consumption then its boiled. Other wise water for consumption is in several bottles we have bring on board at the start of the journey usually refilling water bottles from the tap at home. I tend to find that the vast majority of Fresh water is used in washing up and the bathroom.

My question was simply about cleaning this one out, but as you ask, up until now we have only had bottles on board. With this bigger boat we will have a properly plumbed in sinks etc so may set up the system to allow us to do washing up, washing and showering. We do not anticipate being on board more than a couple of weeks at a time for the next few years, and always no more than a couple of days from provisions so we do not need a vast tank for both washing and drinking.

Like you I have a level of paranoia about drinking water, too many unpleasant experiences taking things for granted in far flung corners of the globe... Would hate to get sick on a boat, it is bad enough on land

Last edited:

Chuckle54

Visit site
I bought a second hand flexi tank and used home brew chemicals to clean it. Worked very well though we only use it for washing up etc

bedouin

Visit site
I've treated my flexible tank like that. I tend to use Boots own brand baby bottle sterlisation tablets - this is usually done with the tabk in situ.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
I've had a 120 litre version of one of these for a few years.

My approach was to whip it out of the forepeak (placings in boats may vary!) and hose it out, then after putting it back in - fill it up with a sterilising solution (I've used Milton and also a powder, seems to do the same) and then run all that through the water system which of course then helps to clean the pipes.

Once all the water is gone I rinse through again and put up with a marginally chemically taste for the next refill and after that it seems to be fine.

The boat used flexible pipes, which I understand are 'food grade' (ahem..) which I would usually replace just the bit from tank to tap for drinking purposes every 2 years, the others I replaced as they became super manky.

I also ran a cartridge filter inline to the tap in the galley which the children used for drinking. They didn't complain or get ill so I'm thinking that my approach whilst belt and braces - covers most scenarios.

Having said that, this year I did the clean out thing twice as we encountered some nasty water from a marina in Poole which contaminated the tank.