French canals/Med

dignity

Visit site
We've been living aboard in the UK for several years now, we now feel it time for a change.

How feasable is it to cruise the french canals during summer, and berth in southern France during winter, for an indefinate period?

What paper work would be required? Would an inland berth be far cheaper than a coastal one during winter?

Does anybody know of a source where I can get all the info I require?

Or has anybody any of experience of this way of life?

Any info would be gratefuly received.

Regards

Paul.

<hr width=100% size=1>

heerenleed

www.heerenleed.com
We always stay with friends in the S of France for X-mas. They live close to the Canal du Midi. In the town of Homps (between Beziers and Carcassonne) there is a nice little "port de plaisance" where we always see foreign yachts overwintering. Mostly the same ones over the years, some people live aboard in winter, others just leave the boat. The size of your boat (if it's the same from your profile) does not seem too large for the CdM.

I think prices are a lot lower inland than on the coast.
You will need a permit for the inland waterways, and possibly customs will want things if the boat does not leave France every now and again (Vive Europe). I have not made a study of all these requirements, surely the French customs can inform you. It will help if you speak French in order to get relevant information from Harbourmasters and if you need to negotiate prices.

If you can, try to go there by car and find out about possibilitities before you take your boat.

cheers and lots of sunshine

<hr width=100% size=1>Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands

Skookumchuk

Visit site
There are quite a few people who spend winters on the inland waters in the south of France. Generally it is quite a bit cheaper than a coastal marina although the faclities may be more limited. Most towns along the Canal du Midi with a port de plaisance welcome overwintering yachts. Others are Beaucaire and Narbonne. Some people who are selfsufficient for power and water just lie alongside the bank.

As far as paperwork goes you will need the VNF permit - I don't know about customs, but I haven't heard of anyone having a problem in this regard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PLEK

Visit site
We have just completed a trip through the canals and our boat is in Port Napoleon on the med.They are excellent and have enough space to take on new boats,the cost for us has been £1400 for 6 months for a 42ft boat including lift outs.

An alternative is a large inland marina at st jean de losne on the saone which is much cheaper but the boat will probably stay in the water.

If you need any more info drop me an email

<hr width=100% size=1>

ukyachty

Visit site
Beaucaire is the cheapest place for the winter but would need booking. Canals in centre would be very busy with hire boats in July and August. I went through from Sete to Le Harve at beginning of Sept and it was superb.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chrisc

Visit site
you should have gone another 4 miles and stopped at Martigues cost us less
than half of that last year -and it's got a proper town with decent restaurants
,a train station and 5km to marseilles int airport.and there are none of those giant mosquitos !

<hr width=100% size=1>

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
We're currently halfway through our canals trip to the Med. Overwintering in St Jean de Losne near Dijon.
We've posted a fair amount of detail on our experiences so far, including pics, on our website . . . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.greyfox.ukhq.co.uk/index_grehan.htm> www.greyfox.ukhq.co.uk </A> . . (feedback most welcome)

regards

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>Grehan ::<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.greyfox.ukhq.co.uk/index_grehan.htm> www.greyfox.ukhq.co.uk</A>