Francis Chichester

Wansworth

Visit site
A book about his first Atlantic crossing,should interesting to read reflecting a time before massive boats and massive hype…….my only Xmas present that mentions boats

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It was a very long time ago, but when I read one of Francis Chichester's accounts of an Atlantic crossing I found his writing very dull. Wind got up, I reduced sail; wind died down, I put out more sail; yet another thing broke, I fixed it; and so on ad, it seemed, infinitum.

I did find one of his about his earlier aeronautical venturing more interesting (possibly becasue he had to deal with people and new places, rather than just 'sea' and variations in weather and gear failure) but can't remember anything about it apart from him colliding with electric cables when taking off on departure from some (Pacific?) island, living to tell the tale and having too rebuild the plane on the island. It's perhaps coming back to me. Wasn't there also something about some cunning navigational ruse he'd invented?

Wansworth

Visit site
It was a very long time ago, but when I read one of Francis Chichester's accounts of an Atlantic crossing I found his writing very dull. Wind got up, I reduced sail; wind died down, I put out more sail; yet another thing broke, I fixed it; and so on ad, it seemed, infinitum.

I did find one of his about his earlier aeronautical venturing more interesting (possibly becasue he had to deal with people and new places, rather than just 'sea' and variations in weather and gear failure) but can't remember anything about it apart from him colliding with electric cables when taking off on departure from some (Pacific?) island, living to tell the tale and having too rebuild the plane on the island. It's perhaps coming back to me. Wasn't there also something about some cunning navigational ruse he'd invented?
Was those books that are the cause of my present situation and my imagination,reading between the lines,black and white photos suggesting something that was possible……today in full color with bikini clad nymphs or breaded old sea dogs leave little for the imagination…….i think I prefer Chichester😏

KevinV

Visit site
Was those books that are the cause of my present situation and my imagination,reading between the lines,black and white photos suggesting something that was possible……today in full color with bikini clad nymphs or breaded old sea dogs leave little for the imagination…….i think I prefer Chichester😏
You need to take a long hard look at your priorities if you think that rehashing old adventures with Chichester is to be be preferred over exciting new adventures with full colour bikini clad nymphs. Just saying.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Was those books that are the cause of my present situation and my imagination,reading between the lines,black and white photos suggesting something that was possible……

I liked that genre of a book, just found Chichester's in particular rather tedious at the time.

. . . breaded old sea dogs . . .

Is that the only thing on the menu apart from chicken-in-a-basket?

Wansworth

Visit site
You need to take a long hard look at your priorities if you think that rehashing old adventures with Chichester is to be be preferred over exciting new adventures with full colour bikini clad nymphs. Just saying.
A deep philosophical question,I have the book in my hands promising enjoyable reading 😏

Wansworth

Visit site
Started the book and the first observation is why choose Beulie to keep his boat if he was out every day doing sailing trials and developing Miranda……..and we have certainly moved on with materials looking at his bundle of rope…very stiff!

The Q

Visit site
Just finished last night, Robin Knox Johnson's book on his trip round the world, quite interesting, Naomi James book next.