For single-handing

Krusty

Visit site
A serious request with a purpose:

Based on first-hand experience, which 28-32 footer, built within the last 15 years, would forum members recommend for single-handed coastal- and offshore- cruising in northern British and Scandinavian waters: and why?

Krusty

Visit site
Thank you! Skip 50: I was not aware that production of the C32 had restarted. Good news! I thoroughly enjoyed sailing one to the Channel Islands many moons ago.

Any other contenders?

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
Vancouver 28 - owned one for about 9 years, often single handed; based in the Solent and cruised from Holland to the Raz

Last edited:

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
15 year age limit: for reasonable prospects of good service for another twenty.

I'd say 15 years is a bad age for servicability. Quite a lot of stuff is starting to show it's age at 10-15 years. Sails, rigging, electronics, even upholstery and galley fittings can be tired after 10+years hard work. I'd be more interested in a well-refitted 20 year-old than a tired 15 year old. Halmatic/Barbican 30 is one obvious boat. Some of these are in fantastic condition with modern gear throughout despite being 30 odd years old.

Krusty

Visit site
I'd say 15 years is a bad age for servicability. Quite a lot of stuff is starting to show it's age at 10-15 years. Sails, rigging, electronics, even upholstery and galley fittings can be tired after 10+years hard work. I'd be more interested in a well-refitted 20 year-old than a tired 15 year old. Halmatic/Barbican 30 is one obvious boat. Some of these are in fantastic condition with modern gear throughout despite being 30 odd years old.

Thank you; your point is recognised: but the 20-year-old may well have been refitted to meet a previous owner's requirements, while the tired 15-year-old can be refitted to meet the new owner's requirements for single-handing.

Last edited:

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
If you're specifically concerned with single-handed capability,I wouldn't concern yourself too much with a specific make and model. Look for the particular set-up features that will make single-handing easy.
Reefing without leaving the cockpit, or all reefing done at the mast (I have to run between the two on my boat)
Good autopilot
Chartplotter at the helm
VHF command mike at the helm
Primary winches convenient to the helm
Main sheet controllable from the helm (actually I have wheel steering and the mainsheet on a coachroof winch and it's not much of a problem)

ANDY_W

Visit site
I suppose the real answer is, as always, whatever boat appeals to you in terms of size, condition and equipment. However, you might wish to consider the following points which have worked for me. Tiller steering rather than wheel, so that you have quicker access to sheets or moving forward for mooring. An autohelm is essential and easier and cheaper to fit to a tiller. Midship cleats for single line mooring. Sail controls led aft to the cockpit. Chart plotter mounted in the cockpit for quick reference at busy times. Stowage for lots of fenders ( I have ten large fenders ) - you will almost always be wise to put out fenders on both sides of the boat in case you don't have time when it all goes horribly wrong!

Depending on your budget, you might, as grumpy old git says, buy a 15 yr old boat that needs a lot doing, or you might go for a cheaper, older boat
and spend the rest of your budget getting set it up as you want, knowing that everything that matters is good.

As ever, your choice!

Andy

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
As Andy_W implies it's not especially the type of boat but more how it is set up.
Two boats that in the advert look the same can be set up totally differently.
I went from a 22ft tiller steered boat to a 33ft centre cockpit, wheel steered ketch. It was a bit daunting the first time I took it out on my own, which was only 3 or 4 weeks after I got it, but you soon get used to telling yourself to do 'things' rather than a crew :) it's just that you have to start doing the 'things' a bit sooner and think through how you are going to do it before you start.

D

Deleted member 36384

Download the Single Handed Sailing Society tips book: http://www.sfbaysss.org/tipsbook/

This will give you ideas about set up. Probably most yachts around that size can be sailed single handed, so as others have said above, its all about the set up.

This does not meet your age criteria but there are some good Rivals to be had at excellent prices http://www.rivalowners.org.uk/noticeboard/forsale/forsale.htm The Rival 34 Williwaw is a well found yacht with extensive short handed sailing experience in the Baltic (currently based there). I have no association with this yacht or the owner except as a member of the ROA and reading about her exploits. Many Rivals are sailed short handed successfully. Food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

macd

Visit site
If you're specifically concerned with single-handed capability,I wouldn't concern yourself too much with a specific make and model. Look for the particular set-up features that will make single-handing easy.
Reefing without leaving the cockpit, or all reefing done at the mast (I have to run between the two on my boat)
Good autopilot
Chartplotter at the helm
VHF command mike at the helm
Primary winches convenient to the helm
Main sheet controllable from the helm (actually I have wheel steering and the mainsheet on a coachroof winch and it's not much of a problem)

Spot-on.

The OP essentially asks two questions, which are quite different:
which boat for offshore use in area he describes;
which boat for single-handing.

Trapezeartist's comments nail the second question completely. Dependable auto-steering of some sort is crucial.

As for Contessa 32....fine boat and, yes, you can get one less than 15yrs old. In fact you can get one brand-new. But you'll need plenty of dosh.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I have to say that I don't really think that a contessa 32 is a ideal yacht for NORHTERN uk and Scandinavian sailing...

The key is in the location... It's gonna rain a lot, and be cold...

What you want is a LM30.

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/lm30/lm30.htm

Yu can get either a bulge of fin.... Steer from the tiller in the cockpit or the wheelhouse... Nice bright inside spot for those crappy rainy days... And to give good shelter when on passage...

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
It is not the boat that will take you safely in blue waters; it is more like the way it has been set up for blue water sailing and the capability of the skipper. Whether is shallow draft, fin, or tween keel etc, it is not so relevant. Actually, I prefer the shallow tween keels because in bad weather, the yacht tends to slides with little resistance, rather than biting in and therefore tossed about; obviously IMHO.

Slowtack

Visit site
Worth looking at scandinavian boats like Scanmar 345 or 33 or their later derivatives. Wouldnt worry too much about the 15 year age limit if the boat is right.

Fascadale

Visit site
A serious request with a purpose:

Based on first-hand experience, which 28-32 footer, built within the last 15 years, would forum members recommend for single-handed coastal- and offshore- cruising in northern British and Scandinavian waters: and why?

If the minimum must be 28ft, and less than 15 years old, then it would have to be a Vancouver28.

Why? I have done many years and some thousands of miles singlehanding around northern British and some Scandinavian waters in my 26fter. My boat is long enough to sail those seas but lacks internal volume and standing headroom. The V28 gives you the comfort of a long keel, the low maintenance of a transom hung rudder, and the internal volume etc all in the smallest possible package. I suspect there is as much room inside a V28 as there was in Piota. And a cutter rig. And very solidly built....................... But a bit expensive. If I could afford one it would be "my next boat"

A V28 might be a bit slow for you though.

Are you coming out of retirement?

Krusty

Visit site
If the minimum must be 28ft, and less than 15 years old, then it would have to be a Vancouver28.

A V28 might be a bit slow for you though.

Are you coming out of retirement?

Thanks Fascadale: it is already on the short-list. But it is not for me: I am researching on behalf of a friend. A trainee of mine a long time ago!