For no particular reason except

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
A long time ago, in a land far away, I used to repair and service fruit machines and juke boxes. (I'd almost forgotten it.)

Those electro-mechanical fruit machines had the odds built in, and are a physical manifestation of how (commercial) gambling in general works.

The machines were designed to pay out often, but only a percentage of the money put in (averaged over a period). They varied slightly, but all worked around a fairly standard percentage that I've now forgotten. They were also designed to make a lot of noise when paying out.

They work on the basis that the chances are, you will put more money in than you get out. You can occasionally end up with more than you put in. When they do, though, most people will then think that either they or the machine are on a winning streak, or at least now have more money to spare than they did, and put more money in, until they, too will have approached or passed the average, and put more money in than they got out.

The machines collected enough money to pay for the manufacture of the machine (not cheap), a rent to the pub or club hosting them, a decent profit for the firm who owned them, and my wages.

I guess for the punters they provided a bit of entertainment, or at least boredom relief, along with the hope of 'winning'.

Yes they are like the lottery pure chance, gambling has an element of skill for some though.

Daydream believer

Visit site
:love: Love at first sight and I bought her that day, and started work on her the next.

Two months later down amongst the big boys at Falmouth waiting for Biscay to behave, before going South.
View attachment 150816
Crikey. That is big. How did you manage to build 14 decks up in that short time?