folkboat

jamie N

Visit site
I'm guessing that you're looking for something at a rock bottom price.
I didn't notice a price mentioned here, but I own a sister ship of this one, and am besotted with her!
It appears that she's not been wet for a time now, and would probably require an amount of work, which could fit your requirements.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on. If you like, please PM me for further info on these, from that yard.
http://folkboats.co.uk/used-folkboats/ellapog

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
if you are thinking of such a boat may i suggest that instead of a folkboat you might look at a Stella. Slightly bigger at 26ft but far more useful accommodation & better sailing etc etc. very folkboat like in everything else. There are a few about. Suggest you ask Clarke & Carters at Burnham on Crouch & they will soon find you one.
You will have the same amount of work but end up with a better boat of more use to you.
Ignore any silly prices. I got one for £2200-00 with a nearly new engine

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
There's a good article in this month's edition of Classic Boat, concerning Stella boats. I agree with your 'silly prices' thought, but (obviously) not the heresy of 'better boat'. :p

Poignard

Visit site
Around twenty years ago, I wanted a Folkboat and I joined the Folkboat Association to find out all I could about them. I seem to remember reading (in a FA publication, I think) that some of the East German boats were poorly built and had inferior fastenings.

Any that were poorly built have probably fallen to bits by now but it's something think about.

After looking at several Folkboats and not being impressed by any of them, I bought a Twister; and never regretted it. But I still think the Folkboats are beautiful, and ideal for the single-hander.

wombat88

Visit site
Just to make it more complicated there was a boat called a P28, lovely in wood, not bad in GRP. Fractional to start with then masthead. Tippy but quite comfortable below.

jamie N

Visit site
).... that some of the East German boats were poorly built and had inferior fastenings.
Any that were poorly built have probably fallen to bits by now but it's something think about.
But I still think the Folkboats are beautiful, and ideal for the single-hander.
I'd also heard that the East German boats were 'inferior', before I bought mine. I believe that you're absolutely correct in saying that the 'bad' ones, will have fallen to pieces by now, as mine seems to be fine.
You're entirely correct in saying that they're so good for single handing also. I sail mine alone the majority of the time, without any bother at all, as can many other designs also of course.
They are beautiful on the eye. Weathering in a South Uist marina a couple of years ago I was having a beer with a fellow yottie, who told me that wooden Folkboats were like Morgan cars; you could have some incredibly exotic piece of machinery, but it's the Morgan that people will flock to! I bought him many beers in payment for topping up my ego!

Cookie Jar

Visit site
Just to make it more complicated there was a boat called a P28, lovely in wood, not bad in GRP. Fractional to start with then masthead. Tippy but quite comfortable below.

The P28 is actually a Hallberg Rassy. GRP hull and plywood superstructure (still in HR´s website if you want more info). Indeed a lovely boat.
http://www.hallberg-rassy.com/yachts/previous-models/p-28/

I have always been "kind of" in love with folkboats, but the wood has always kept me away from them... that being said, I would definitely get an IF boat (also designed by Tord Sunden as he also figured out that his original design had a few shortcomings) and apart from the accomodation, I am yet to hear any complaints about the boat -sailing wise.