folding props

cazzascotta

Visit site
Hello, yesterday there were two sailors on my pontoon talking about folding props, and while one of them was for the max-prop, the other one said that the j-prop is better, because at a lower price it gives the same performances.
Have anyone tried these folding props and can anyone say wich is better?
I'll buy one for my Oceanis 311 but I want to have clearer ideas about them.

S

Skyva_2

The Max prop and J prop are both feathering props, ie the blades align with the water flow when in neutral; with folding props the blades fold back. Both types give much less drag, and there are many previous threads, just search this site on 'feathering props'. There are several other manufacturers, Brunton, Gori (folding) for instance.

Basically they all work and most owners are very satisfied, though some report rapid prop anode erosion; for an Oceanis 311 the Kiwi prop is also a good option. I have a long article on the subject, if you would like it just PM your email address.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
I thought these looked nice
feat_head.jpg

cliff

Visit site
I think these look better!

IMAG000.JPG

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
---------------------
hammer.gif
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tranona

Visit site
There was a long review article in Sailing Today last winter.

There is a trade off in performance under sail and motor, and a grading according to price.

Simple 2 bladed folders are liked by racers as they give minimum drag. Trade off is poor motoring performance in general, and usually not very good in reverse.

3 blade folders have become popular recently because of improved motoring performance but less drag than a fixed blade.

Feathering propellers usually give better sailing and motoring performance, but are usually mechanical (exceot the Kiwi) and need maintenance. They are also very expensive, although the Featherstream (in Tigawaves post) is less expensive than the other main competitors such as MaxProp and Jprop.

Bruntons Autoprop is a different concept altogether, being self- and variable pitching.

You will find supporters for all of these devices. The order above is also roughly the price order - and none are cheap, so you have to be really convinced that you need the benefits before you invest!

I have a feathering propeller, and my justification is that I have a heavy old boat that needs all the help it can get in light airs, and the engine is marginal so I need to get maximum benefit under motor. It does both these things, although I am not sure it was money well spent!

maxi77

Visit site
Having had a volvo two blade folder for several years I found it did the job well and gave little problems

My current boat has a J-prop and it seems to work OK as far as I can see. Certainly ahead power is ok and I have no problems astern.

purplerobbie

Visit site
I have just re-engined a rival 32 and need to replace the prop and have had prices off all these companies and they are all around £1500 i think there was £100 between the most expensive and the cheapest.

Cliff what is the one in your picture? i dont think i have seen them?

Rob

alandee

Visit site
We have a Kiwi feathering prop on our Oceanis 36CC. No noticable difference between that and the original when motoring but less drag when sailing. We feel all in all it was a good choice...and also the cheapest. One distinct advantage is that should you ever damage one of the blades it can be replaced for less than £50.00. We picked up all sorts of rubbish when going through the French Canal System but no damage to the prop. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rwoofer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Simple 2 bladed folders are liked by racers as they give minimum drag. Trade off is poor motoring performance in general, and usually not very good in reverse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you must be thinking of old folders, cause new ones like the flex-o-fold that I have are incredibly effective at motoring and believe not better than some fixed props in reverses. Like many things in this world, it is all down to the design.

BAtoo

Visit site
Had a gori 2-blade folder on last boat & was fine; poss a bit less power in astern but got used to it fine & will prob do the same on this boat when I get rid of the 3-blade bucket we have acquired with the boat!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tranona

Visit site
You are right, but not all 2 blade folders are as well designed as the Flex o Fold. Pays your money and takes your choice! Trouble is you may not find out until you have paid big chunks of wedge whichever you buy!

HoratioHB

sowethereyet.blogspot.co.uk
Another vote for the Kiwi - much cheaper and easier to maintain, especially the blade replacement which can be done underwater. Significant increase in performance over a standard prop and unlike many it gives the same power in reverse as forward, plus there is virtually no prop walk. Had mine for a year and apart from greasing it and a general clean it was in perfect condition.