Fly

D

Deleted member 36384

What a bright spark of an idea! Good price as well. A bit of TLC, a quick zap about here and there with the flash and she will be scintillating and flickering like new.

Babylon

Visit site
Beautifully-done down below, but the lumpen rig is certainly not my cup of tea... maybe that, rather than the 'lightening-strike' (what damage exactly and where?) is the reason for its knock-down sale price?

jwilson

Visit site
I always liked the Aerorig concept but once that big carbon spar has had a lightning strike I wonder how structurally sound it is, or how to test that it is still sound. Replacing it truly horrendously expensive. Not that easy or cheap to put a conventional rig on either as the rig loads are designed in to the hull not for forestay, backstay, shrouds etc but for the one unstayed mast/booms combo.

dom

Visit site
Fly was a beautiful bespoke boat apparently built with no expense spared. The woodwork alone evidences that.

But her multiple massive diesel tanks with ageing scrubbing systems will interest few, her vast water tankage predates watermakers, notions of an auxiliary auxiliary engine never caught on, and her spars are fried. There's no denying it, the dear old girl is tired and bringing her back up to speed as a luxury yacht operated by a paid crew will hampered by the exotic rig, which for all its merits is pig ugly. A big minus in the eyes of many.

Too small as an alongside restaurant, too deep as an el-cheapo marina liveaboard, this boat may have had it. Sad to say, given that she looks in so many ways like a beautifully maintained vessel with hours of painstaking labour lavished upon her.

Really sad in fact - I do hope someone with a deep chequebook falls blindly in love !!

Mark-1

Visit site
Raises the question of how insurance works when there's an astronomical disposal cost...

Presumably the insurer pays out the value of the boat but leaves the owner with the much greater cost of disposing of the vessel. I doubt wreck recovery insurance pays for disposal in this situation .

Frogmogman

Visit site
Whatever the many merits of the aerorig, I struggle with the looks. Fly is in every other respect a very elegant yacht; the interior woodwork is truly sumptuous. She looks to have been scrupulously maintained. It would be interesting to know how feasible fitting a more traditional rig would be.

It'd be good to read the detailed breakdown of the known defects that the broker offers to share with interested parties, but as I'm only a tyre-kicker, wouldn't dream of wasting his time with such a request.

I suspect that a lot of the costs involved are linked to replacing/repairing the very elaborate systems on board. The original owner was clearly someone who strongly believed in double, even triple redundancy on everything (even the facility to use the bow thruster for emergency forward propulsion should both of the other engines fail !)

Someone with a taste for a simpler yacht might be able to simply dispense with a lot of said clobber.

claymore

Visit site
Damn you, Claymore. I was about to put in a bid but you have raised too much interest. Could you no have just haud your wheesht for a tad longer?
Ah wuz thinkin it wid be a great asset tae ra chents cruise. We widnae need tae sail onywhaurs - jes sit aroon on they sofas an drink.
Whit were ye thinkin of offerin by the way?

Bajansailor

Visit site
I remember sailing in the Bequia Easter Regatta about 22 or 23 years ago on a wee Contessa 26 called Teassa, owned by my pal Bruce.
There was a large sailing yacht with an Aero-rig taking part - she was about Fly's size, and may well have been her.
It was blowing a good 20 knots, and we had 6 heavy crew on the rail on the Contessa, and she loved it.
This was the Round the Island race; the first leg was a beat up to Bequia Head. We decided to stay inshore, and short tack up the coast - and it paid off. We were the smallest boat yet we beat the 70' Aero-rig (and everybody else who had gone 'outside') up to the Head.
OK, they all overtook us on the next leg, but I think we still won our class easily.

dom

Visit site
I suggest that that tells you all you need to know about the costs involved in repairs.

I wonder how easy it would be to put a "proper" rig on her

Depends on the hull, but probably not easy at all given that the load lines will be totally different.

Which is why, sadly, my guess is that this fine boat will ultimately trade around salvage value.