Flowcoat/gelcoat

Timsuttle

Visit site
Hi I have some small chips and cracks in my gel coat.
Do I fill these with gel coat or flow coat?
Thanks for your help.

StefanSG

Visit site
Flow coat is gel coat with added wax in styrene.. so that it will cure on the surface. You can mix your own flow coat if you have gel coat and wax in styrene.

SSG

steveeasy

Visit site
if your still puzzled. Gel coat is applied to the mould then the glass is built up on it.

Flow coat is used for work like you want to undertake. It contains a wax that rises to the surface to make it cure. When it has set you need to sand it to remove the film of wax. Then re coat and sand. Then you can polish it. You can get primary colours to add to flow coat to match the colour you are trying to achieve.
Now I suggest you watch some YouTube films to get a better understanding.
I’ve tried useing gel coat and a film covering and it was a disaster. Flow coat is easier to work with. You can add colours to get a match then add the setting stuff prior to application.

Steveeasy

Timsuttle

Visit site
if your still puzzled. Gel coat is applied to the mould then the glass is built up on it.

Flow coat is used for work like you want to undertake. It contains a wax that rises to the surface to make it cure. When it has set you need to sand it to remove the film of wax. Then re coat and sand. Then you can polish it. You can get primary colours to add to flow coat to match the colour you are trying to achieve.
Now I suggest you watch some YouTube films to get a better understanding.
I’ve tried useing gel coat and a film covering and it was a disaster. Flow coat is easier to work with. You can add colours to get a match then add the setting stuff prior to application.

Steveeasy
Thank you very much.

Refueler

Visit site
I have a pot of Occulati Gel Coat for repairs - dings and chips .... does not need any extra to cure surface ...

This storm damage is filled with it - once weather improves - it will be ground back and then painted to match rest of hull ...

xhULEHwm.jpg

Stucco Gelcoat Filler White Two Component Pack For 200 Gr | eBay

Simple .. works.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I have a pot of Occulati Gel Coat for repairs - dings and chips .... does not need any extra to cure surface ...

This storm damage is filled with it - once weather improves - it will be ground back and then painted to match rest of hull ...

xhULEHwm.jpg

Stucco Gelcoat Filler White Two Component Pack For 200 Gr | eBay

Simple .. works.
It's good stuff at a sensible price, I've used it on chips and cracks to repair the off white coloured gelcoat on a Lark dinghy I'm refurbing, mixed with a tiny bit of cream pigment it's a very good colour match

Keith 66

Visit site
Top tip, If buying Gelcoat & Wax in Styrene make sure you dont mix the wax in syrene & catalyst containers up.

Few years back bought 2.5 ltrs of white gel for doing lockers in our Sabre, Got wax in a plastic jar as well, Bloke says you will need catalyst too & gives me some in an identical pot, Didnt half get hot quick! Grrr!

Refueler

Visit site
Top tip, If buying Gelcoat & Wax in Styrene make sure you dont mix the wax in syrene & catalyst containers up.

Few years back bought 2.5 ltrs of white gel for doing lockers in our Sabre, Got wax in a plastic jar as well, Bloke says you will need catalyst too & gives me some in an identical pot, Didnt half get hot quick! Grrr!

Fine - but there are pots like the Occulati that work without need for extra component ...

For really small stuff - even Plastic Padding can do ...