Flexiteek problems

mainsail1

Visit site
Anyone had problems with Flexiteek?
My deck was laid with Flexiteek by Hamble Yacht Services in early 2020. Some bubbles appeared within a year and the number of bubbles has become quite large now. Recently I have also noticed small cracks appearing in the surface. Contact with Flexiteek has been a waste of time.
Anyone have experience of this and how to solve the problem?

Daydream believer

Visit site
My deck was laid with Flexiteek by Hamble Yacht Services in early 2020. Some bubbles appeared within a year and the number of bubbles has become quite large now. Recently I have also noticed small cracks appearing in the surface. Contact with Flexiteek has been a waste of time.
When you say "contact with Flexiteek" How was this? Email or tepehone?

Elessar

Visit site
Speak to HYS. They are good and reputable I’d be surprised if they didn’t sort it for you.
I can’t understand why you don’t contact them when the first bubbles appeared though.

mainsail1

Visit site
Hamble yacht services did a lot of work on my boat in late 2019/early 2020. I am afraid I was not impressed with quite a lot of it. In the course of the work they became Ancaster Yacht Services and I do not have a good word for Ancaster who refused to fix the renewed copper coat which had bubbled and in the end I got a refund from them but I wanted the problem fixed not a refund. I cannot imagine going back to them to fix anything so I went to Flexiteek by email and telephone, Progress has been zero even though during two telephone calls ,where I was chasing them, they said they would get back to me within 24 hours and they have still not got back to me some weeks/months later. By the way, I was told by HYS that they got Flexiteek to do the deck as they are next door so when the problem occurred, I thought I could cut out the middle man and go direct.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had the type of problems I have described and if so how did they fix it?

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Do you have any pics ? I would have thought its hys who you had the contract with so its them who you need to talk to.
Its either a failure of the product or a failure of the bonding ? That's for them to figure out.

benjenbav

Visit site
Hamble yacht services did a lot of work on my boat in late 2019/early 2020. I am afraid I was not impressed with quite a lot of it. In the course of the work they became Ancaster Yacht Services and I do not have a good word for Ancaster who refused to fix the renewed copper coat which had bubbled and in the end I got a refund from them but I wanted the problem fixed not a refund. I cannot imagine going back to them to fix anything so I went to Flexiteek by email and telephone, Progress has been zero even though during two telephone calls ,where I was chasing them, they said they would get back to me within 24 hours and they have still not got back to me some weeks/months later. By the way, I was told by HYS that they got Flexiteek to do the deck as they are next door so when the problem occurred, I thought I could cut out the middle man and go direct.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had the type of problems I have described and if so how did they fix it?
It sounds like Flexiteek may have been a subcontractor to HYS and so the contracts would be:

1 You + HYS

2 HYS + Flexiteek

If there's no direct contractual link between you and Flexiteek, then anything they do now would be purely voluntary unless you approach via HYS.

Doing that wouldn't necessarily mean that you'd have to have HYS do any remedial work. You may be able to persuade them to pay for a contractor of your choice to do that. They may be able to persuade Flexiteek to do the work because their contract with Flexiteek is likely to allow them to recoup the cost of any successful claim you make.

As with any contract, however, the devil is in the detail and it may be that your original contractual counterparty no longer exists in a legal sense. On the other hand they may exist and simply have new owners or have changed their name. Plus you need to be wary of time limits etc. You may well benefit from having a lawyer look at the original and any subsequent paperwork.

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
It’s not entirely clear if this is a problem with the product or manner of retro fitting? Some pictures of the bubbles. Many boats are retro fitted with Flexiteak without issues so it might be a fitting issue but maybe you need an expert opinion as to issue first but as said it’s down to HYS if they still exist? It worth a letter before action but an expert view might lead credence to your case before a county court . Just check though HYC are worth pursuing as basically your claim seems to be for negligent installation in absence of product defect .

Aja

Visit site
Who did you pay the invoice to? That's who you have to pursue for satisfaction.

Aja

Visit site
They are the retailer. My understanding is they have to rectify any defects. Dependant on amount paid I would write and am then to put the issue right and if no satisfaction small claims court.

Tranona

Visit site
I paid Hamble Yacht Services.
I recall the account of your dealings with HYS/Ancasta about the paint job on your boat and can understand your reluctance to pursue them again on this matter. I suspect though the only alternative is to try and deal direct with Flexiteek but aware that it will be on a "goodwill" basis as they have no legal obligation towards you. I would be surprised if they do not come to some agreement with you if indeed their product or installation was defective.

Other threads that may be of interest