Fitting a car stereo with two speakers - problem fixed

yerffoeg

Visit site
Some time ago I fixed a JVC car stereo unit into our boat, with two speakers on either side of the saloon ceiling. There were two persistent problems: it was hard to get a consistent stereo sound, and when the volume was increased it would not do so gradually, but would sometimes make a large stepwise jump.
I had thought that the problem was in the connections. I had joined the two speakers to the right and left ‘front’ speaker connections ’. However, I had a eureka moment at the weekend and managed to solve the problems.
These issues came about, I think, because the unit believes it has an input from 4 speakers, the usual car set-up. Without really knowing what I was doing I went into the sub menu ‘audio settings’ and set to ‘negative ‘ or ‘zero’ any of the settings referencing the (non existent) rear speakers. In hindsight this seems obvious, but someone better versed in these matters may understand the science better than me.
I am sharing this as others may have experienced the same problem when fitting a car stereo into a boat, with two speakers rather than four.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I added some 'bath tub' speakers to the inside of the cockpit combing on my Westerly Griffon.
Use the fader to control sounf for cabin, cockpit, or both.

Refueler

Visit site
The two units I fitted had similar effect ... my solution was to connect to the 'rear labelled' speaker outputs in the rear of unit ... which are usually the default speakers if only two. My latest has a three speaker set capability ! Which I have led the 2nd rear set to DIN sockets mounted below the radio ... the 3rd set are mini single stereo pin plug in the front ... but its still default if only two speakers connected to #1 connection.

I have a set of wandering lead speakers with the matching DIN plugs ... so I can place where I want.