Fishing for bass - the harsh realities.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I agree it is impressive but I'm surprised small boats were out in those conditions. When we crossed Biscay we had an un-forecast gale gusting fifty knots a Cat hove saw a big fishing boat go by but a local boat was sadly lost wih all hands so my guess is it was smaller than the big boat seen but bigger that the ones in the video because it had more crew.

Robin

Visit site
I agree it is impressive but I'm surprised small boats were out in those conditions. When we crossed Biscay we had an un-forecast gale gusting fifty knots a Cat hove saw a big fishing boat go by but a local boat was sadly lost wih all hands so my guess is it was smaller than the big boat seen but bigger that the ones in the video because it had more crew.

In that place, Raz De Sein, the sea is like that on a calm day, nothing like Biscay offshore at all.

fisherman

Visit site
This is the toss up between, say 160kg of bass ( as in one TV film) at £10 to £15 per kg, if the right buyers are bidding, and safety. Some of those boats have wheelhouses designed for self righting, but I don't know how often that has happened. They also have an extra, transom hung rudder and engine controls in the stern for working, leave the wheel midships and steer with the tiller.

Sybarite

Visit site
This is the toss up between, say 160kg of bass ( as in one TV film) at £10 to £15 per kg, if the right buyers are bidding, and safety. Some of those boats have wheelhouses designed for self righting, but I don't know how often that has happened. They also have an extra, transom hung rudder and engine controls in the stern for working, leave the wheel midships and steer with the tiller.

The heir to Michelin was lost there a few years ago. They were also fishing for bass.

fisherman

Visit site
As far as I can tell they are using lures, maybe home made from tubing on double crook hooks or maybe proprietary bought ones, several on a trace, see here at 1 minute on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONoN7b9pbv4
I see no weights, but difficult to tell, quite possibly the fish are feeding on the surface.

I made a living from bass in 1979, on Bass Point, funnily enough. Very different method from this though.

Oh, yes, lures too big for mackerel, and they are not fond of such an environment. The bass I caught used to hover behind the reef waiting for the bait to get swept over it, just where I put my lures, hopefully. Or that's what I imagined.

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
Ok pleaae explain the rig. I could not see any weights or paravane. How are they catching bass and not Mackerel?
From watching the video, I think they get one of their own to invert his boat and the crew then swim around spotting the fish underwater and spearfishing them for their colleagues to haul aboard.

fisherman

Visit site
Six weeks to go before we are allowed to fish for our one Bass a day again. Not a lot about last year.

Bass has been entirely removed from my licence since I caught none in the last reference year. I can't even take one as an angler, not on a registered boat. I was hoping to go back to it in retirement, will cost a bit to get a boat with bass on its licence.

capnsensible

Visit site
Seen fewer of them over the years but round the coast of Spain are a number of fish farms. Sea Bass (Lubina) is very popular. Could this model work for commercial production in the UK?

Heckler

Visit site
In that place, Raz De Sein, the sea is like that on a calm day, nothing like Biscay offshore at all.
When we went through the Raz it was as flat as a pancake, we were waiting for the whirlpools and standing waves and sea demons and all that! Nothing! Sun shone, the boat behind us popped his spinny out and we wondered what it was all about!
Stu