Fishing boats near Gunfleet Sand

RivalRedwing

Visit site
That is a bit unkind to them! In fact there are so many varieties that you could have a different one every day for a couple of weeks. The Swedish ones tend to be sweeter, with such sauces as dill, mustard, curry, tomato and others I have forgotten. For real pickled herrings the only place to go is Christiansø, where they do delicious but pungent ones as taught to them by the Scots. Hot-smoked fish is also ubiquitous and they will smoke almost anything, especially popular in Germany and Poland. Just don't try the flounder.
can't beat a good Bloater :)

ex-Gladys

Visit site
But walking past a fishmonger makes me gag. I thought it was just the smell of fish until someone told me that it was fish rotting.
I think proper commercial fisherman are as critical as we are about the pracrices mentioned by the OP.
I so agree! As I child every Sunday afternoon was spent (generally) having a walk after the roast which usually finished up at Newlyn Harbour, the smell has put me off fish for life, and nothing can change that. It has latterly been reinforced by helping a friend with a boat stored behind the Company Shed in West Mersea.

I keep hearing people talking about "fresh fish" and every thing one sees about commercial fishing, the catch is frozen after being caught and gutted. Don't get me started about the trawler that caught 3,000 tonnes of mackerel (about 3 million fish) which it then took to Norway to sell into the Japanese Sushi market...

johnalison

Visit site
I so agree! As I child every Sunday afternoon was spent (generally) having a walk after the roast which usually finished up at Newlyn Harbour, the smell has put me off fish for life, and nothing can change that. It has latterly been reinforced by helping a friend with a boat stored behind the Company Shed in West Mersea.

I keep hearing people talking about "fresh fish" and every thing one sees about commercial fishing, the catch is frozen after being caught and gutted. Don't get me started about the trawler that caught 3,000 tonnes of mackerel (about 3 million fish) which it then took to Norway to sell into the Japanese Sushi market...
I think that is sad. Although I have had my share of weary cod served at school dinners, I still value the variety that fish bring to the table. It is nice to be told about the health benefits too. Clearly, I am not going to persuade you otherwise, but even sardines on toast count as fish without going to anything like sole Veronique. I am not into sushi myself, but I am partial to fairly raw fish, such as gravadlax or Dutch-style herring. I do have some admiration for fishermen in general, with the exception of industrial trawlers that send their catch to be used as fertiliser.