Fishguard

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I haven't a huge amount of experience of Fishguard bay, being based in S Pembs. I've only visited a couple of times by sea, more often by road.
Fishguard town is a shallow drying harbour with laid chain moorings, I have never seen walk ashore pontoons.
Goodwick bay a couple of miles to the west has a charted all tide anchorage east of the roro ferry terminal, but it's fairly open to swell from the north, and I haven't seen it used much when I've been in the area. You would have a stiff walk or taxi to Fishguard town from Goodwick. There are some guest houses, a pub or two and a petrol station convenience store for the Ferry traffic.

Gwylan

Visit site
No walk ashore?

Were visitor moorings in Lower Fishguard.

Can also anchor comfortably off Lower Fishguard.

Could take a chance there on the wall or raft up against something.
We were interviewed by the authorities after arriving in the dark. Locals thought we were up to no good.

Dale is a better bet. But requires going around the end. Tide timing quite important

Seastoke

Visit site
No walk ashore?

We were interviewed by the authorities after arriving in the dark. Locals thought we were up to no good.

Dale is a better bet. But requires going around the end. Tide timing quite important
Thanks for replies , we are a power boat so are tides still an issue

Dellquay13

Visit site
No walk ashore?

By lower Fishguard do you mean the bay just east of Goodwick/Fishguard RoRo ferry, or the old harbour at Quay st at the bottom of the hill near the Sea cadets hq? The old Harbour is drying moorings. I couldn't say if there were any visitors moorings there.
I once rafted my 6m mobo against a commercial barge at Goodwick while I nipped down to the petrol station with half dozen jerry cans, and I too soon got a visit from some officials wanting to know the score, I think they keep close watch on their port CCTV.
Dale is lovely, but a long way round the coast, about 45nm. A long leg around from Fishguard down to Ramsey sound, across StBrides Bay, through Jack sound or outside Skomer along to St Anne's head and into the Haven. The tides won't stop a mobo that can easily make 10kn or more, but the conditions can be snotty around some of those exposed headlands and bays.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
By lower Fishguard do you mean the bay just east of Goodwick/Fishguard RoRo ferry, or the old harbour at Quay st at the bottom of the hill near the Sea cadets hq? The old Harbour is drying moorings. I couldn't say if there were any visitors moorings there.
Dale is lovely, but a long way round the coast, about 45nm. A long leg around from Fishguard down to Ramsey sound, across StBrides Bay, through Jack sound or outside Skomer along to St Anne's head and into the Haven. The tides won't stop a mobo that can easily make 10kn or more, but the conditions can be snotty around some of those exposed headlands and bays.
We are wanting to use Fishguard as a stop over on the way to the south coast .

Dellquay13

Visit site
It's perfectly possible to stop over in the bay by lower fishguard/goodwick, it is sheltered to all but NElies. Getting ashore would need a tender, I wouldn't suggest alongside in the commercial harbour unless you talk to the harbour master for permission first.
Bearing in mind that rounding this corner of Wales can be as exposed as Lands End, If you could push on to the S coast of Pembrokeshire and the Milford Haven, Milford marina or Neyland marina are common staging points with plenty of shoreside facilities and diesel and unleaded on the pontoons.
Dale bay has a couple of visitor moorings, an anchorage and a seasonal short stay pontoon, tide dependant.

Last edited:

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I once rafted my 6m mobo against a commercial barge at Goodwick while I nipped down to the petrol station with half dozen jerry cans, and I too soon got a visit from some officials wanting to know the score, I think they keep close watch on their port CCTV.

The old harbour is called ‘lower town’, which I guess is what is meant here.

There are 3-4 visitor moorings off castle point close to the 0m drying line.

It sounds like the OP is looking for something with more facilities…

Praxinoscope

Visit site
We normally drop the hook about 200 yards off from the lower town harbour wall/pier which gives enough water at low tide for a draft of about 3’ to remain afloat at LW. but it does mean a row ashore. The harbour is fairly crowded and dries.
It’s a lovely quiet spot (unless it’s a NE) when it gets a bit lumpy. Facilities are limited, the pub is good for a pint and the Fishguard Yacht Club which is on the quayside has shower facilities and a bar, but not sure what their opening times are at present. There is also a public toilet halfway down the quayside
If you want to go out for food then it’s a case of ‘climbing’ up the hill to the main town (don’t forget your crampons).
Lower Fishguard is an attractive little harbour and was used for location filming of ‘Moby Dick’ and Andrew Sinclairs’ film of Dylan Thomas’s ‘Under Milk Wood’.
Fishguard is also known as the last place on the British Isles that was invaded by the French, who repelled by the ‘fearsome Fishguard womenfolk.
Should have added that if you intend to go South through Jack and Ramsey Sounds, Fishguard is a good starting point to get the tidal streams right.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Visit site
Yes, the Old Harbour. Well we were there in a 7m and 11m bilge keelers. Didn't dry out.

Jack Sound is OK. Just have to do the sums.
Seems that the boat involved is a motor boat so that's a bit easier.

TSB240

Visit site
Are there walk ashore pontoons , or visitors moorings , if what conditions.
We went in there last year Roy on way to Isles of Scilly.

Lower Fishguard or Old Town is really pretty and has good protection from anything from the South.

There is no fuel only water available at the Quay which you can get alongside at HW.
On neaps we only just touched the bottom at Low tide (only draw 1M!) alongside the wall. There were some non drying moorings and plenty of room to anchor in the shelter before the Quay in the bay.

Good holding but subject to swell from a northerly.

Welcoming Sailing club and showers plus great Cafe on Quay.
Water available but it's a long steep hill to get fuel!
HM took us in his van with a 25 litre drum!

Nice old pub cash only full of memorabilia of when they filmed Moby Dick with Charlton Heston!

Harbourmaster is ex RNLI coxn and was really great and gave us his knowledge of Ramsey and Jack sound. Give him a call if you need more info. He might have contacts for a bowser for you!

It is a little gem of a place.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
TSB240, I think you meant Gregory Peck rather than Charlton Heston.
I agree Lower Fishguard is certainly a gem of a place, it’s about 4 years since we have been down there, but it’s on the cards for this year.