First yacht

Sailfree

Visit site
Adding on from Jim Dews comments I repeat "I have no problem buying someting if I know I could easily sell it for the same price"

Boat design (like cars) does move on. When I bought the 36 in 1998 it was a new design. If you are buying it now the price should reflect that its an out of date model. For most boats I estimate you would loose 20% first year increasing to 5% per year for the next few so before I bought my first boat I would want to be certain its the right one or easily sellable at a reasonable price. Many would say my 1st year depreciation is high but if I was buying a £100K boat I would not be tempted to buy a secondhand one unless it was about £80K. Remember brokerage fees are often 6-8% as well.

After my experience of new model boats I would now only buy a tested model and have just bought a Jeanneau 43DS which I believe is coming to the end of its production run. I know any possible faults are ironed out and I am sure the replacement will be pared down in some areas to save weight and costs. Over 3 years I think this model will hold its value reasonably due to price increases but you need to make your own assessment on the Dufour 36.

Remember you don't need managers if you have no choices. Unless you think this boat is going to be quickly sold I would visit Southampton Boat Show in 1 month and look at the alternatives, if for no other reason than if you need a Marine Mortgage to buy you can visit all the stands and one will offer a lower rate to get your business.

Good Luck