First time new route to boat.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I live in Sweden as resident. Normally I stay inside EU on flights to and from the boat in Greece. This time I must venture outside via Ryanair from Gothenberg to Stansted then change to a Ryanair Flight to Aktio Preveza. I have British passport, no checked baggage, and 4 hours to do it. First time in twenty years i have stepped in UK. Never been to Stansted before. I expect everything will be OK but still a bit nervous. Is it a long way between terminals. I arrive on international flight and leave on an international flight so maybe I don't change terminals. Any tips. I must be getting old to need reasurance on things outside my normal scheme of things.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I live in Sweden as resident. Normally I stay inside EU on flights to and from the boat in Greece. This time I must venture outside via Ryanair from Gothenberg to Stansted then change to a Ryanair Flight to Aktio Preveza. I have British passport, no checked baggage, and 4 hours to do it. First time in twenty years i have stepped in UK. Never been to Stansted before. I expect everything will be OK but still a bit nervous. Is it a long way between terminals. I arrive on international flight and leave on an international flight so maybe I don't change terminals. Any tips. I must be getting old to need reasurance on things outside my normal scheme of things.
You should be able to remain airside, so you won't pass immigration.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Thanks for the information. What makes me nervouse is that both flights Gothenberg to Stansted then change to Stansted to Aktio Preveza is that they are once a week not regular every day. I will have to wait a week for the next flight if I miss any one of them, especially the connecting flight.. I guess this is the risk i take with budget airlines.

st599

Visit site
Do they dump you out in to the full security queue? Could easily take 4 hours to get through the IKEA like maze of shops selling over priced tat to get to a gate.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Would it not be better to fly direct to Athens?
Yes, I have done that many times including Thessaloniki but this year the airlines and public transport were out of step with access times to get to or from the airports. I failed to find a flight even checking charter and SAS even from Denmarks CPH.to Greece. The departure times either take off or landing left one stranded at both ends.

I don't mind spending a night in one airport but not both depart and arrival. From my home it normally takes two days to arrive at my boat with taxi, bus and trains then airflight . This time it was 4 days so when I found the the Ryanair route via Stansted for a single day travel I was amazed and booked immediatly without considering the risk of being stranded for a week. That would be a record. You Skippers who live in UK don't realize how lucky you are to just peddle your bike to the nearest airport then be on time for supper on your boat.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Thanks for the information. What makes me nervouse is that both flights Gothenberg to Stansted then change to Stansted to Aktio Preveza is that they are once a week not regular every day. I will have to wait a week for the next flight if I miss any one of them, especially the connecting flight.. I guess this is the risk i take with budget airlines.
In the event you miss it or the flight gets cancelled there are other airports some quite near to Stanstead that will have flights to Greece, it's only money.

Davy_S

Visit site

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Daily flights from Luton to Corfu by Easyjet
Not what I wanted to hear, just been reading posts on TripAdvisor that Stansted has a poor reputation for long waiting lines. Minimum transfer time is three hours on a good day. Allow 5 hours to be comfortable. Is this a joke? Maybe I should eat the fare price and start looking again for a direct flight. Apparantly Ryanair are only point to point with no connection to another flight intended. Both flights are seperate bookings. Learn something new.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Thanks for your help. I am glad I asked because I had no idea that a transfer time at Stansted was so uncertain. I decided to go with the Gothenberg to Stansted flight as booked. I had a look at alternative flights from Stansted to Greece. Athens was sold out Thessaloniki was almost full BUT there was another flight to Aktio Preveza at 06:30 on Sunday morning. A day and a half later. Not too bad considering other options. I can walk to my boat from Aktio Preveza airport whose glide path just clips the top of my mast. Should I buy a ticket on that flight as back-up? Experience tells me that, as in the past, when I made a safe fall back it was never needed. Thanks again. BTW the fare for the back-up Sunday flight is 77 pounds sterling.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Not what I wanted to hear, just been reading posts on TripAdvisor that Stansted has a poor reputation for long waiting lines. Minimum transfer time is three hours on a good day. Allow 5 hours to be comfortable. Is this a joke? Maybe I should eat the fare price and start looking again for a direct flight. Apparantly Ryanair are only point to point with no connection to another flight intended. Both flights are seperate bookings. Learn something new.
I use Stansted a lot, I live 10 miles away. That’s a ludicrous exaggeration. At peak times eg Easter hold or first day of summer it does get busy but I usually allow 2 hours before my flight departs, from arrival at the carpark.

st599

Visit site
I use Stansted a lot, I live 10 miles away. That’s a ludicrous exaggeration. At peak times eg Easter hold or first day of summer it does get busy but I usually allow 2 hours before my flight departs, from arrival at the carpark.
If the OP has to re-check in like you do when flying to the US via Canada, ten he has to queue for the passport checks to get in to the UK, pick up bags and then re-check bags and re-join the security and passport queue.