First time cross channel???

greena

Visit site
Planning to cross channel for the first time this season, probably just for a long weekend... Any advice on what paperwork is needed to be carried and what the procedure is when you get to port? I hear differing accounts of how you are treated. The boat was originally bought in France and is VAT paid.

S

Skyva_2

The only documents I have ever produced are the SSR certificate and passport. This seems to satisfy the Douaniers that the boat is not subject to French jurisdiction.

I have seen others produce a wodge of documents including original VAT receipt (might be important for you), Bill of Sale, VHF licences for boat and owner, insurance, builder's certificate etc, etc.

You wait for Customs to come to you, don't go looking for them!

summerwind

Visit site
Only paperwork I have ever been asked for is SSR certificate, passport and insurance (and mostly just the first two)

Procedures on arrival will depend on the marina/port you are visiting. The bigger marinas usually have someone in a dorey to show you to a berth. At others you simply pick up a berth on the visitor pontton, then go to the office. Depending on the time of day you arrive, it might be open.

If you tell the forum where you intend to visit, someone will doubtless give you up-to-date information.

I would say the most important thing to take on a cross channel trip is a radar set. It is getting more like the M25 out there every day. Sailing through the traffic lanes is similar to crawing on all fours across that infamous road.

Good luck.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
I heard that,i asked the customs if i really had to keep up a log book,they said yes and no! Well i should keep one that they can see where ive been then if they have some questions about something that happened near to my passage they can see if i was involved??

If you keep a daily log then its a clear record of your movements they can see how long youve been where ever.In the north you will have a greater chance of being asked for a log than in the south.Or so it seems

wizard

Visit site
Does anyone know the position on red diesel in France - I met someone last weekend who said that they dont mind it in your tank if you have receipts but not in spare cans or jerricans ?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
That's what I have been told. Having been inspected fairly thoroughly by French Customs, I can only say that they didn't look for cans, never mind check their contents.

Belgium enjoys duty free diesel also, is this red? If so, it must be a common occurrence to have red fuel in tanks in northern France.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

Belgium enjoys duty free diesel also, is this red? If so, it must be a common occurrence to have red fuel in tanks in northern France.

[/ QUOTE ]

Belgium also has red diesel.
Topped up last week in Nieuwpoort @ 0.73€/ltr
Last time I topped up in the UK (Nov 05) I paid 0.56£/ltr

So, it pays to top up in Belgium.

Nickcf

Visit site
In over 12 cross channel french trips (Calais, Boulogne, St Malo, Cherbourg etc) never once been asked for any documents. However essential to carry SSR (must be original), passport, and copies of insurance and VAT cert just in case.