First single handed sail

Gordy M

Visit site
I am feeling very proud at the moment, went out by myself for first time yesterday, I didn't go far, just from Southampton town quay to the Hamble entrance and back.
My head is now getting into cruising mode, previously I have always been reliant on others, and most are up for a day sail but not an overnight stay :)

Happy
Gord

Kelpie

Visit site
My first singlehanded trip (on a yacht) started when my crew literally jumped ship. I was cruising in company and the other boat needed some help, so stole my crew!

Sidedrum

Boat - North West Scotland. Me - coastless West Y
Visit site
It's a great feeling. My first singlehanded trip was over 20 years ago now and started with a 70 year old singlehander casting off my lines - I'd taken her's as she came in to the pontoon at Campbeltown, so she saw me off when I left shortly thereafter. Seemed a good omen and I've happily singlehanded since. Enjoy it!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
It can be a great pleasure having company to share the fun with, but no longer being reliant on others to go sailing is a huge benefit. AND, when you do have people able to come with you, you enjoy their companionship & help so much more.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It can be a great pleasure having company to share the fun with, but no longer being reliant on others to go sailing is a huge benefit. AND, when you do have people able to come with you, you enjoy their companionship & help so much more.

It's also a great relief - to me, anyway - to know that while help from crew members is welcome, I don't actually need it.

eddystone

Visit site
Yes well done my only single handed voyage so far was from mid river pontoon in the Itchen to Kemps for alift out but that was a cop out as id tied the coiled bow line to the pulpit for someone to take - lassoing test yet to be passed!

Concerto

Visit site
Well done, bet you felt chuffed.

My first singlehanded sail was on my father's Northerney 34 (CR Holman design like a big Twister with a counter transom) when I was about 16. He let me do a singlehanded pursuit race of about 15 miles on the Medway. That was a long time ago at the end of the 1960's.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Well done, I still remember that my biggest trepidation was being able to pick up my mooring buoy on my return.

+1 :eek:
That was back in the 60s in the Percuil River mooring area - very crowded. Just as I was approaching my mooring I saw/heard the "old salt" who taught me to sail say to his young pupil,
"You see that man there (I was about 18!), I taught 'im to sail".
My bowels turned to liquid as I imagined making a complete hash of the pick-up in front of old Les.
Fortunately, I managed without a problem.
PHEW!

Neil

Visit site
Single-handing, for me, is a process of finding what works for various situations, learning about your boat and thinking ahead and getting everything ready in plenty of time.

In particular:

A midships cleat! and motoring against a midships spring when the wind is blowing you off your pontoon
A tiller pilot is useful: keeping head to wind to sort sails, motoring against strong currents when you want to haul anchor by hand etc.
Heaving-to to give yourself space and time to sort stuff out and do things
Keeping safe - I always carry a HH VHF on my life jacket and clip on when leaving the cockpit
Keep well rested and don't push too hard - we're meant to be enjoying ourselves!

Jim Schofield

liffeysailor.blogspot.ie
Good on you Gord,

I've begun single-handing myself, so I can appreciate your satisfaction. Two weeks ago out in Dublin Bay, got it to steer from the jibsheet, saw no other boat around, felt great.

But we have a lot to learn.

Jim

Neil

Visit site
It's an even bigger thrill to plan your pilotage in to a strange port and tie up successfully without hitting the bottom or anything else - switch the engine off and "Phew, I made it" :)

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Good on you Gord,

I've begun single-handing myself, so I can appreciate your satisfaction. Two weeks ago out in Dublin Bay, got it to steer from the jibsheet, saw no other boat around, felt great.

But we have a lot to learn.

Jim

That is something I haven't mastered yet.

Any tips for OP and all other S/H folk out here?
Is it better to use the jib sheet, or the main sheet?

Jim Schofield

liffeysailor.blogspot.ie
Kay Sarah Sarah,

I just tried the simplest system I found online. Run a line from your jib to a block on the same side near the tiller, then across to another block on the opposite side and then to the tiller. I didn't even have a bungee cord since the wind was light. I was amazed it worked, but my weight shifting on my little 19 footer threw it off ! More trials to follow.

I saw it on Webb Chiles site here :

http://inthepresentsea.com/the_actu...4/18_Opua__sheet_to_tiller_self-steering.html

You have nothing to loose.

Jim

Gordy M

Visit site
That is something I haven't mastered yet.

Any tips for OP and all other S/H folk out here?
Is it better to use the jib sheet, or the main sheet?

I used the jib as it is furling and I could raise it from the cockpit, whereas my main halyard is secured at the mast, so to raise the main I have to leave the cockpit, and on this first occasion I was trying to avoid leaving the cockpit as much as possible.

firstsolo1.jpg