First boat: which should we buy?

kilkerr1

homepage.ntlworld.com
Hello all

My husband and I are looking to buy our first boat and would very much appreciate any opinions or thoughts anyone may have on which would be the best for us. Our basic needs are:

- Stable, seaworthy boat, capable in foul weather and forgiving for relative novices (we're more interested in being safe than speedy!)
- Can be handled comfortably by two people
- Can sleep 3-4
- Can dry out
- Budget: a whopping £4000 (and this is the top end) - we realise this is limiting things considerably, but it's unavoidable, and we think if we wait until we can afford a more expensive boat we may be waiting forever...

We've been looking into boats such as the Hurley 22, Crystal 23, Jaguar 22, Kingfisher 22, but don't really have much idea. Any ideas gratefully received. Many thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Welcome to the fold, it's refreshing to hear people can still start at the small end and not buy a brand new 40 footer as the first boat.

You could also consider a Trident 24 (top of your price range), Halcyon 23, the older Westerly 22's.

Where are you planning to sail/keep the boat?

<hr width=100% size=1>

kilkerr1

homepage.ntlworld.com
Thanks for that, we'll look into them. The Halcyon 23 is one I have been looking at actually, and also its predecessor, the Crystal 23 (which I can't relly find much info on).

We're in Brighton, planning to keep it in Shoreham, just a little down the coast from us. We're doing some crewing with members of Sussex Yacht Club who are based there.

And the thought of buying a 40-footer as a first boat..! We're not experienced sailors and with the budget we have our dream of being able to sail around the world will just have to wait. In the meantime we want to learn as much as possible, while still being able to do a little cruising, long weekend type of thing.

Happy days!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
With your spec and budget, I think you are being very realistic about the best sort of boat. Those 22-footers built in the late 60's and early 70's may be getting a bit tatty now, but they were very solidly constructed. Better value than a more recent 18 footer, which won't be as seaworthy. Try not to spend all your budget on buying the boat though, as you'll need to keep some back to do it up a bit. DIY skills are a great help here.

I had a Kingfisher 22 for some years, which would fit your spec perfectly. Sailed it to the Channel Islands, Brittany, the English coast from Devon to Essex, mostly without an engine, it looked after us beautifully.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
I had a Halcyon 23 years ago, very nice. Centre Keel with bilge plates to make 3 bits to antifoul, they also did a fin keel version. Changed from the Halcyon to a Trident touch more room and separate Loo (Halcyon was under forecabin bunk I think). Cruised from Poole and Solent to West Country in both the above with first one then two kids and then added a border collie too.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kilkerr1

homepage.ntlworld.com
Thanks for that, and a great encouragement to hear we're doing some sensible stuff looking for a boat. I'm excited to hear about your Kingfisher, as we have just tracked a Kingfisher 22 down in Essex, and it sounds pretty perfect. As for DIY skills, my husband has virtually rebuilt our house, and is looking for something else to get his proverbial teeth into! Tatty is not a problem - as long as it can handle the sailing well and look after us, we're happy to work on the boat.

Cheers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
DIY & TLC

Agree entirely, always managed to sell for more than I paid by doing the DIY/TLC bit over the years. Mind you the amounts spent in between purchase and sale tend to be forgotten! If you learn to do all the work yourself you learn all about the boat and can sort problems out as they arise, you don't get that knowledge from a quick RYA course and a big bank loan! Also starting at this size teaches you proper respect for wind and tide too.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Kingfisher 22

There is an active <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kyoa.co.uk/>Kingfisher Yacht Owners Association</A> who would be helpful if you go down that route. (PS I'm impressed by the photo of one sailing among the icebergs in Antarctica!)

dickh

Visit site
I also had a Halcyon 23 but fin keel, sailed very well and looked us all over the East Coast and across to France. Before that had a Vivacity 20 whicjh also was fine but a little cramped for four. Also look at the Vivacity 24 - you should be able to pick one up that needs a bit of TLC for your money. #
Good Luck and this forum will be able to help you with answers to your questions.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ashanta

Visit site
May i suggest you look at the seamaster 23. It was designed by Laurent Giles before he designed the Westerly Centaur and the two designs are very similar.

The boat is solid, heavy and sails well. It has a choice of fin, Bilge or shoal draft with centre plate. Usually fitted with a Bukh diesel.

I owned the shaol draft version for a number of years when my children were young and we sailed all over the SW coast and Channel Isles. There loads of room with a double berth and three single berths. Navigation can be done at the cabin table.
Some weather helm if the right foresail is not used so beware of the furling sail if fitted as fine adjustments will be necessary.

There was no Osmosis on my boat which was built in 1974. Gas bottles are kept in purpose built containers in the aft edge of the cockpit and are useful to sit on when sailing. Most old boats are having to convert to dedicated gas lockers toaday.

Happy hunting!

Peter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
If you start serious longer distance cruising one imperative is to have standing headroom inside the boat. Even Uffa Fox said so. This means that in the longer run you should aim for something about 30' - so that it is not too boxy.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

recomend you look at the Leisure range 22' 23' very good sea boat very safe and forgiving plenty of room for 4 standing head room seperate heads excelent owners association support.
If you want further info etc send me a PM
best of luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TimLamb

Visit site
Sounds like you've got some ideas already and I can see you've had lots of help from the forum (as usual), but I'm just replying to say that in the last couple of years there was a good article in either Sailing Today or Yachting Monthly called something like 'Buy a a family cruiser for under £2000' - it contained some pretty useful info and may be worth tracking down (which shouldn't be difficult). Despite the fact that we ended up buying a Centaur it made me realise that there's some pretty capable little boats to be had at this end of the market, a fact corroborated by some of the replies you've had.
Good luck with whatever you do and I can concur that your DIY skills will be very handy - I've learned so much about maintenance (and sailing of course) since we bought our boat 2 years ago.
Regards

Tim

<hr width=100% size=1>