First Aid kit

Alfie168

Visit site
I guess it depends which neighbouring islands you are visiting - a sail to Nevis might not need much . I would have thought a visit to the websites which stock up yachts might help with lists. I suggest no harm in antibiotics ,naproxen type drugs, simple aspirin,paracetamol etc . Sprays for bites , mosquito stuff , . We tend to have a small quick box in heads plus a fuller box in bow but not certain I have ever listed it. I guess no space for a defib machine but tend to pack a meds bag when travelling much like we carry on board.

I had a CPR and defibrillator briefing last Saturday at a yacht club I was visiting ( they kindly invited me to join in). The defibrillator box was remarkably compact, somewhat to my surprise. It was the size you could find space for and certainly fitted in the first aid carry bag. It was little more than the size of one of those 12v electric square tyre inflator pumps you can buy in Halfords.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yeah, good first move would to get instruction of basic first aid. Once you know what you are doing, outfitting you first aid kit to your ability will follow. I've been lucky enough to do loads over the years as a pro skipper and have dealt confidently with a number of injuries over the years.....not all on board.

Mebbe one of the sailing schools in Antigua may run training ?

The up-to-date St John's first aid book is great to back yourself up once you've dealt with the first minute or so. In fact, mandatory on coded vessels. The MCA code of practice lists first aid box contents too. Mebbe a tad over the top but gives you ideas.

Good to see someone taking safety of your crew seriously! (y)

coopec

N/A
Visit site
1648034423287.png

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/20-11/chap5c.pdf

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 19-24-02 Chap5c.frm - chap5c.pdf.png

30926389759.jpg

Stemar

Visit site
I had a CPR and defibrillator briefing last Saturday at a yacht club I was visiting ( they kindly invited me to join in). The defibrillator box was remarkably compact, somewhat to my surprise. It was the size you could find space for and certainly fitted in the first aid carry bag. It was little more than the size of one of those 12v electric square tyre inflator pumps you can buy in Halfords.
Unfortunately, it isn't the same price as a Halfords pump!

I was never a paramedic and my first aid certificates expired a while ago, but my understanding is that if you need CPR, it's unlikely to be any good without a defib, which may well save your life, but you won't stay alive long without proper hospital treatment so, while it's a very good thing to have in a club full of aging yotties, it's of less use on a boat that's several hours from help. There may be more cost effective ways to spend anything from £800 up.

Alfie168

Visit site
Unfortunately, it isn't the same price as a Halfords pump!

I was never a paramedic and my first aid certificates expired a while ago, but my understanding is that if you need CPR, it's unlikely to be any good without a defib, which may well save your life, but you won't stay alive long without proper hospital treatment so, while it's a very good thing to have in a club full of aging yotties, it's of less use on a boat that's several hours from help. There may be more cost effective ways to spend anything from £800 up.

I would not argue with any of that. I was just pointing out that there are models that aren't all that big an item given that the matter of space aboard was raised as a reason for not carrying one. There are as you say, better reasons for not having a defibrillator high on the priority list for on board first aid.

Gwylan

Visit site
What is considered needed in a First Aid kit?

Apart from how long is a piece of string, to put it in context the vessel is to be used in coastal sailing on an island (Caribbean) and also short cruises to neighbouring islands in a 70 mile radius.

This is the Atlantic not an inland waterway/lake.

So it would include:
  • Antiseptic wipes to clean wounds
  • First aid cream
  • A good variety of bandages
  • A good variety of adhesive bandages
  • Gauze pads
  • Adhesive tape
  • Sting relief wipes
  • Cold packs
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Aspirin/ Paracetamal
  • Eye wash treatments
  • Nitrile gloves
What else would you suggest?

A couple of these. Worst case, but the ability to immobilise a break will be very welcome.

HypaGuard Flexible Emergency Splint | First Aid Online

In French pharmacies there is a diahorrea treatment that also contains a small amount of opium. It works beautifully, dealing with the pain.
Sachets of rehydration powders.

Also charcoal tablets for the similar malady. Much better than the brute force medications.

Ibuprofen
Anti histamine

William_H

Visit site
What are you going on about Clive? You seem to be feeding the average Englishman's belief that Australia and particularly waters are dangerous. I have been swimming snorkelling and SCUBA diving most of my life and almost never met anything dangerous in the water. ( cat fish (cobbler) once and a blue ringed octapus another time) . Get some "Stingose" from pharmacy for jelly fish sting and you will be OK.
Re defibs, St John Ambulance have fitted defibs in many public places around here now. In a locked box you call the phone number and they will give you code to open and send ambulance all at once. One at our marina and one owned by club inside. Yes Clive do a first aid course although you might be disappointed that answers to many questions will be "call for help" ol'will

coopec

N/A
Visit site
What are you going on about Clive? You seem to be feeding the average Englishman's belief that Australia and particularly waters are dangerous. I have been swimming snorkelling and SCUBA diving most of my life and almost never met anything dangerous in the water. ( cat fish (cobbler) once and a blue ringed octapus another time) . Get some "Stingose" from pharmacy for jelly fish sting and you will be OK.
Re defibs, St John Ambulance have fitted defibs in many public places around here now. In a locked box you call the phone number and they will give you code to open and send ambulance all at once. One at our marina and one owned by club inside. Yes Clive do a first aid course although you might be disappointed that answers to many questions will be "call for help" ol'will
William I've lived on Nauru Island and there were plenty of "nasties" there apart from deadly stone-fish and box jelly-fish and toxic fish. (We only ever bought fish from the locals who knew what they were doing)

Fish Poisoning More Common Than Believed (Published 2015)

Last edited:

DanTribe

Visit site
I used to have to attend periodic first aid refresher courses for work. Every update it seemed that less and less was permitted to be kept in first aid kits. No aspirin, paracetamol, anti-histamine, sticky plasters etc. Just bandages, dry dressings , gloves and blunt scissors. I understand that some people could be allergic and it was to avoid liability if anything went wrong. Trying to save a life is not a legal defence apparently.
At my last course the instructor admitted, in confidence, that he kept two kits, one "official" for inspection, and another useful one, kept out of sight.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I used to have to attend periodic first aid refresher courses for work. Every update it seemed that less and less was permitted to be kept in first aid kits. No aspirin, paracetamol, anti-histamine, sticky plasters etc. Just bandages, dry dressings , gloves and blunt scissors. I understand that some people could be allergic and it was to avoid liability if anything went wrong. Trying to save a life is not a legal defence apparently.

Trying to save a life is very much a defence, certainly in this country.

Someone is being over-cautious.

We carry aspirin, paracetamol etc on the lifeboats, but we just ask the person if they are allergic before using it.

Stemar

Visit site
IIRC, first aid kits won't contain much, if anything, in the way of pills and potions because of the risk that someone may be allergic. That's no reason for not carrying what common sense suggests. There's also a world of difference between the kind of first aid taught on shore, when expert, well-equipped help can be there in minutes, and offshore sailing, when it's hours or days away.

I'm rarely going to be out of range of relatively rapid help, so I'll have what I need for minor injuries and hangovers, plus the wherewithal to deal with ABC concerns - airway, breathing, circulation. I wouldn't bother with splints and the like, because I reckon I'm more likely to do more damage moving the patient to apply the splint than leaving things as they are until the experts get there. Same for most of the advanced stuff. If someone's got food poisoning, I'm going to park 'em in the heads until I can get 'em ashore, though some rehydration might be useful if it's severe.

Ultimately, first aid comes down to three options: 1. Can I deal with it myself - good, do it, and carry on sailing. 2. I need help; is it urgent? 2A. No; patch 'em up and head for a port. 2B. Yes; mayday if life threatening, pan if not. The further offshore you are, the more 2As become 2Bs

Daydream believer

Visit site
No one has thought to mention the Triangular Bandages, beloved of every First Aid Instructor, for doing Bandage Origami:)
I have some aboard but when I asked for them at the chemist they said they did not stock them so I had to wait 3 days whilst they ordered them for me. Seemed a bit strange at the time. The RYA first aid course included a bit on how to use them, which is why I included them in the kit.
As for defibulators, a doctor once said that in the hands of the public they were there to make people think that they had tried to do something. But little use otherwise.
We have one on the building at the club, plus a couple somewhere around the village. Although I doubt if many know where. By the time one has called the number & a qualified operator has turned up with the key etc. I would imagine it would be far too late for anything. Perhaps not. Personally I think the £6K spent installing them was probably a waste of money & could well have been better allocated, Although I do not know on what. Perhaps filling in the trip hazards on the pavements.