Fibreglass Bloom

nevis768

Visit site
I've got a white bloom on a red fibreglass hull, about 30 years old. It's on a large dinghy, right down both sides, will it polish out and what's the best stuff to use.

chris-s

Visit site
Sounds like typical oxidation. I would use something simple like a medium cutting polish to remove the oxidation.

B27

Visit site
You may need to remove relatively large amounts of gelcoat.
On my dinghies I tend to use fine wet sandpaper.
There's normally the odd scratch which will indicate the reaining depth of gelcoat. It was pretty thick on a lot of older boats.

grades like 1000 to 4000 or so are most useful
Then get the Farecla out.

Get a cover with deep skirts to keep the sun off if you can, but waxing a few times a year will help.

nevis768

Visit site
Thanks all, hopefully I can get away without painting it. It's my old trailer sailer which I'm selling.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks all, hopefully I can get away without painting it. It's my old trailer sailer which I'm selling.
Yes you should be able to cut it back and polish it.
I have done my red hulled Sea Wych several times. Materials and techniques have changed over the years . If it is really bad consider starting off with very fine wet & dry as suggested above.

Take a look at this Farecla page. Solution list by market | Farécla.

To begin with I used a foam compounding mop on an electric drill running at a slow speed but I later bought an inexpensive sander-polisher ( Silverline) but it's worth buying good quality foam compounding and lambs wool polishing mops although the final polishing is not too arduous a task to do by hand.

Refueler

Visit site
Yes you should be able to cut it back and polish it.
I have done my red hulled Sea Wych several times. Materials and techniques have changed over the years . If it is really bad consider starting off with very fine wet & dry as suggested above.

Take a look at this Farecla page. Solution list by market | Farécla.

To begin with I used a foam compounding mop on an electric drill running at a slow speed but I later bought an inexpensive sander-polisher ( Silverline) but it's worth buying good quality foam compounding and lambs wool polishing mops although the final polishing is not too arduous a task to do by hand.

Once the boot topping is done and the few touch ups where pontoon caused some nicks / scrapes during a storm ... I will have my powered polisher out to buff up the hull of the 38.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Reds are the worst, no matter what it’s made of. You could call it ‘old Ford-itis’. How many red fords of more than about 10 years are still the proper red? I’ve just repainted my wooden boat from red to light blue for the same reason.

Refueler

Visit site
Reds are the worst, no matter what it’s made of. You could call it ‘old Ford-itis’. How many red fords of more than about 10 years are still the proper red? I’ve just repainted my wooden boat from red to light blue for the same reason.

I always hated red boats ... made me think of Gypsy Carnivals ... but this one seems to grow on you ...

But yes - red seems to be a bad colour to keep nice .. black is another.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I always hated red boats ... made me think of Gypsy Carnivals ... but this one seems to grow on you ...

But yes - red seems to be a bad colour to keep nice .. black is another.
Mine used to be a sort of plum colour. She’s kind of pale summer sky now. I didn’t mind the colour, it was just the UV damage.

OCuea

Visit site
Red degrades more than any other I have found. Will simple T cut polish work? A quick job if you are going to sell. A longer job needed if going to keep

Refueler

Visit site
Red degrades more than any other I have found. Will simple T cut polish work? A quick job if you are going to sell. A longer job needed if going to keep
T Cut - you have to be careful with as any residue from it can yellow ...

I use it though after Oxalic to remove any oxidised residue / bloom of the gelcoat. Then a going over with Cilit Bang or similar to make sure all is removed before using a liquid wash and wax ...

I see guys with polishers and wax . spending hours at it ... month or so later - not much difference between mine and theirs ..... (my white SR25).

My red Conq38 .... that actually is still quite glossy despite lack of cleaning / polishing by me. Its International Perfection 2 pack ... seems to be quite good.
Once yard has completed hull work - she will get a quickie once over and then launch. Have a rendezvous to make with a CA member over in Sweden early July ...

nevis768

Visit site
I managed to remove the oxidation today using 3M medium cutting compound. Didn't take long with a buffer I got from Amazon. I used a sheep wool pad, and then a polishing pad. Thanks to all for advice.