Feeding cables through impossible routes !

Refueler

Visit site
My Primor 24 has its battery bank in the engine well .... cables then lead to stbd and up into the box section GRP cockpit side. Fwd to the steering console, where a hole in side allows cables to enter rear of console.

8limG0cm.jpg

I am loathe to dismantle the console as it carries the weight of the steering mechanism as well as switches etc. Similarly reluctant to disconnect any cable and use as a pull though ..

I've tried stiff wire fed in from aft - with hand up inside console to the side .. but no success.

If the installers had just used a section of conduit pipe - life would be so much easier !!

My wish is to install a dual Speed / Depth NASA unit ... and that will need both transducer cables fed up to the console .....

Looks like I'm going to have to use an existing cable and pray I can get it back again ... the task will be to identify the cable inside that console ... there is an access hatch in bottom of console about 7" x 4" - big enough to get hand in ...

jrudge

Visit site
I use steel flexible tape and whilst I lt can be tricky with 2 people and starting from the smaller opening it does not take that long. You will have to remove the box you refer to I suspect

Refueler

Visit site
I tried with stiff small diameter pipe .... stiff fencing wire ....

Next I will try a CF tube I use for models ... if I can get that at least where my hand can 'feel' it at console end - I can then feed the fencing wire through it ... withdraw the CF tube ...

It has crossed my mind to think about a length of garden hose pulled through .... but lets see if I can get something rigged.

plumbob

Visit site
I found a 10mtr length of very thin nylon cable puller which luckily was rigid enough to navigate through most of the other cables and bits in the way. Took all day mind you just to fiddle it to where I needed it. Then I pulled 2 4mm cables from the solar panel through. This stuff is a continuous length not rods. Good luck
Screwfix do it. 30 mtrs. 15 quid.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Easier even than a cable snake is to use what the pros use. Rods in metre sections that screw together. They’re cheap, easily obtainable, can be used to run cables or string too, if you are one of those funny people with bits of cloth. Electricians rods, we call them.

oldgit

Visit site
Spent 2 hours yesterday running a 12 SWG length of red/black cable from batteries at stern of boat up to fly bridge.
All that was needed was a set of really cheap nasty but very flexible rods (set 10 ? for about £10.00 ) the one or two of the remaining and discoverable lengths of drawstring left by the boat builder, a tube of babies bottom cream and great deal of patience and copious quantities of bad language.
Another two hours to apply cable ties and to put back all the bits removed to do the job plus tidy up the mess and remove smears of baby cream from upholstery and panels.
Simples.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I would suggest that you use a fish the same as Irish Rover used but tie a small loop with thickish nylon fishing line around one of the existing cables then tie the fish to the loop and see if the loop will follow the existing cable as you push feed the fish. It might just work, I have had some success using that method in the past.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
My intention - IF I can get cables through .. is to have either a string left in place or a tube so I can feed any later wire ...

What defeats the usual feeder gear - is the exit to console is higher than the entry point and displaced about 3" to side ...

I'll get there eventually !!

Seastoke

Visit site
If all fails buy an inspection hatch with 4inch hole , the rods we use in the trade have an led u can fit to the end . Or one we use last resort is, tie string to end of rods with a metre floating loose then push through , hen get the old metal coat hanger straitened it with a small hook bent at the end and hook the string works every time nearly.

Gustywinds

Visit site
My son and I did some very awkward cabling on my relatively new to me boat a few months ago. He bought one of these things [which may be called a cable snake] and it made the job easy. View attachment 182218
Was about to suggest this, its actually called a "fish tape". You also get a plumbers version of it where you can reorientate the head to go a particular direction but they tend to be ony 2-3 metres long

Refueler

Visit site
If all fails buy an inspection hatch with 4inch hole , the rods we use in the trade have an led u can fit to the end . Or one we use last resort is, tie string to end of rods with a metre floating loose then push through , hen get the old metal coat hanger straitened it with a small hook bent at the end and hook the string works every time nearly.

You just triggered my thoughts ... I have an Endo with a stiff bendable cable .....