Fawley Chimney Demolition

Giblets

Visit site
Am I alone in finding it mildly depressing that the go-to architectural style seems to be pastiche of old housing, rather than having the confidence to go with something fresh and modern ?
I suspect the design has more to do with the local planning department and the New Forest National Park Authority than the wishes of the developers. At least it's being built on a brownfield site though.

Habebty

Visit site
I suspect the design has more to do with the local planning department and the New Forest National Park Authority than the wishes of the developers. At least it's being built on a brownfield site though.
True, Whilst I agree with the "pastiche" point, I suspect the market in that part of the country is for the more conservative type of buyer rather than the uber modern eco-conscious. Like I said, better than most developments.

doug748

Visit site

Indeed, good for them.

Developers often pretend to offer fresh new thinking but, in reality, often just pack in as many units as they can get away with. Most people want a front and back door, a small garden and a place to park the car; looks like the new houses are rooted in reality and good sense to me.
Architects should be kept as far as possible from domestic accommodation, they have extensive previous.

ashtead

Visit site
I wonder what plans exist to build more roads,doctors surgeries, schools and sewerage stations to support the housing ? There’s plenty of sites fit for rebuilding in Gosport which seem even in the present property market to lie vacant but maybe they will be looking for wealthy overseas buyers to buy off plan attracted by high yields and rental income.

Habebty

Visit site
I wonder what plans exist to build more roads,doctors surgeries, schools and sewerage stations to support the housing ? There’s plenty of sites fit for rebuilding in Gosport which seem even in the present property market to lie vacant but maybe they will be looking for wealthy overseas buyers to buy off plan attracted by high yields and rental income.

Have a look -

Fawley Masterplan

penberth3

Visit site
I heard that the money is in the demolition for the crushed concrete and that the developer has no intention of doing any development work.

Not sure what your point is there, but demolition and site clearance is one thing, afteruse and development is another. That's the way it goes.

LiftyK

Visit site
Yep, apparently they couldn't launch their drone in the Force 9 gusting 10 that hit right at the moment of demolition.
That’s good to know, thanks. Alas a second webcam at Netley also failed to deliver the goods. Fortunately all these things are nice and not necessary. It would have been good if the livestream web page posted a status update to calm down frustrated viewers but I thank you for this calming effect :) .

PhillM

Visit site
Thank
I suspect that they will build all the houses and flats and then declare themselves bankrupt so can't build the shops, surgeries, etc. I think that they should build the infrastructure first and then houses second.
The local councils have got wise to this trick and insist that the infrastructure and drs schools etc are built first and planning for the houses is withheld until they are.

Stemar

Visit site
Architects should be kept as far as possible from domestic accommodation, they have expensive previous.
Fixed that for you.

All the same, if I could afford a one-off new build, I would use an architect to come up with a passive house to my spec, but it would be discreet, not a "statement". These aren't that sort of place, they're little boxes because that's what most people can afford. A lot better than average, though. I'd far rather live there than the development opposite Tesco's in Hamble Lane, which really are little boxes made of ticky-tacky.

Having said that, with a few notable exceptions, "modern" houses tend not to age well, physically or stylistically. Classic little boxes work because they don't go out of style. On condition, of course that they're built properly.

Seven Spades

Visit site
It looks fantastic, but where is vehicular access? It does not look like a friendly place for old people who need to drive to their door.

ashtead

Visit site
Maybe it’s not targeted at a retirement market segment ? Seems to me it might be suitable for those seeking a lock up and go holiday home? New forest ponies etc ?

Stemar

Visit site
I rather think our future doesn't include having a car that you hop into whenever you want, but rather car clubs/self-driving Uber or similar. It would be nice to think it was thought through, but we aren't quite there yet, so I ha' me doots.

Maybe the car access is to the rear of the properties, which would be a whole lot nicer than cluttering up the roads.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Many of these new villages are trying to encourage the use of public transport, buses, trains cycling etc and getting us away from our cars, they are also tending to be few walls barriers at the front of properties and the backs and sides of properties tend to be overlooked this is to do with securing the property by the design layout. They are also trying to put in distinct areas for residential, shops in a central area and work areas where hopefully those who live there will work there so negating the need to travel. There will also be a significant nod to local and regional building styles and detail.

Some fine principles but some have drawbacks and some we will have to see if they work longterm.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I rather think our future doesn't include having a car that you hop into whenever you want, but rather car clubs/self-driving Uber or similar. It would be nice to think it was thought through, but we aren't quite there yet, so I ha' me doots.

Maybe the car access is to the rear of the properties, which would be a whole lot nicer than cluttering up the roads.
In the blurb I read, it said there will be a big underground car park in the old basement of the power station.

st599

Visit site
You won't need a car, there are communal donkeys:
upload-aeaaa67d-52d4-4d64-8075-93306af03d1e.jpg