Fawley Chimney Demolition

Wansworth

Visit site
Inspite of my criticism here in the city I live nearby classical building is much better than horrible architect stuff that seems to be stuck in the 1930 modern look

blush2

Visit site
I wonder what improvements they plan to make to the A326? Having lived in the local area from the early eighties and worked at Calshot I know how busy that road has become and the number of times improvements have been suggested but not implemented.

Likewise the railway to Fawley refinery which mostly transported tankers of chemical products.

st599

Visit site
Toronto has a much nicer new waterfront plan - complete with timber rather than concrete builds. The Fawley developers seem to have been to the Museum at Bucklers Hard.
1478.jpg

st599

Visit site
I wonder what improvements they plan to make to the A326? Having lived in the local area from the early eighties and worked at Calshot I know how busy that road has become and the number of times improvements have been suggested but not implemented.

Likewise the railway to Fawley refinery which mostly transported tankers of chemical products.

They do say they want to re-open the branch line to give residents access to the mainline at Southampton in 20min.

Frogmogman

Visit site
If I were to be buying a place in that sort of location, I’d want large glazed openings to make the most of the views across Southampton Water and the Solent.

The Swan 43 I race on lives in Port Grimaud, which was built in the 60s with houses that are a pastiche of the old fishermen’s cottages of Saint Tropez. Whilst I really applaud that no two houses in that development are the same, I personally find the place to have a bizarre Disney-ish air. Then again, I’m not a fan of Poundbury.

A chacun son goût!!

dom

Visit site
All the same, if I could afford a one-off new build, I would use an architect to come up with a passive house to my spec, but it would be discreet, not a "statement".....

I'd be careful going that way.

I asked an architect to come up with a design for a traditional looking brick house on a plot I already had. When the look and layout was decided, I handed it to a firm of design engineers to spec the systems, electrics, and insulation/materials to almost meet passive house levels. I say almost, because I don't like air recycling and much prefer fresh air.

Then I hired a construction manager to build.

On the advice of a friend who owns a large construction business, I confined the architect to drawing what my friend termed pretty pictures.

Last edited:

Blueboatman

Visit site

I asked an architect to come up with a design for a traditional looking brick house on a plot I already had. When the look and layout was decided, I handed it to a firm of design engineers to spec the systems, electrics, and insulation/materials to almost meet passive house levels. I say almost, because I don't like air recycling and much prefer fresh air.

On the advice of a friend who owns a large construction business, I confined the architect to drawing what my friend termed pretty pictures.
That sounds really interesting
Houses can be amazingly deceptively complicated things , like boats are with all their systems and details waiting to trip the purchaser up some years down the line …

DJE

www.casl.uk.com

As an engineer who's spent a lot of time in meetings with architects over the years, I'd say you did the right thing.

st599

Visit site
That Toronto spec looks nice to my untrained eye but likely high maintenance and flammable!

Not really - many parts of Europe are now using Cross Laminated Timber instead of Concrete (far greener as concrete production gives of a vast amount of CO2).

Norway already has large 15 storey+ apartment blocks: Mjøstårnet in Norway becomes world's tallest timber tower
Berlin has plans for a skyscraper: Berlin’s New Timber Tower Comes With Lofty Ambitions

The wood is compressed, so chars on the outside which then acts as an insulator.

dom

Visit site
As an engineer who's spent a lot of time in meetings with architects over the years, I'd say you did the right thing.

As the project progressed, it became clear that the architect was increasingly out of his depth and the structural/mechanical engineers basically took over.

Another area to keep architects out of IMHO is the tendering process. They don't appear to possess anything close to the legal and technical skills necessary to commission significant builds. Worse, they are often conflicted, sometimes to the point of getting commissions (kickbacks) from their favoured contractors.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Not really - many parts of Europe are now using Cross Laminated Timber instead of Concrete (far greener as concrete production gives of a vast amount of CO2).

Norway already has large 15 storey+ apartment blocks: Mjøstårnet in Norway becomes world's tallest timber tower
Berlin has plans for a skyscraper: Berlin’s New Timber Tower Comes With Lofty Ambitions

The wood is compressed, so chars on the outside which then acts as an insulator.
First time I saw a wooden fire escape from a 2 storey building oh how I did larf aged 12, duh!