Fastnet 2023

davidaprice

Visit site
Being in Finland I was following Tapio Lehtinen, he whose boat sank last year in the Golden Globe Race in the Indian Ocean. This year he's entering the corresponding but crewed Ocean Globe Race in his Swan 55 'Galiana'. For practice they entered the Fastnet, and were dismasted off Portland Bill. Not a good start...

dunedin

Visit site
In reply to Dunedin

Trouble is there is a huge TSS in the middle of the course that competitors are not permitted to enter... It was one side or the other for those two multihulls .

View attachment 160559
I didn't realise the TSS was so huge. But that just makes the "corner bash" even more risky / surprising - as once gone South no opportunity to respond to any wind shifts - whereas staying North more tactical flexibility.
Certainly having been in the lead the next time their paths crossed they had converted that to a 30-40 minute loss.

dunedin

Visit site
Being in Finland I was following Tapio Lehtinen, he whose boat sank last year in the Golden Globe Race in the Indian Ocean. This year he's entering the corresponding but crewed Ocean Globe Race in his Swan 55 'Galiana'. For practice they entered the Fastnet, and were dismasted off Portland Bill. Not a good start...
Well in computer terms that would be called a "successful test" - as it found a serious defect. Better there than in the Southern Ocean.
Hope they can get sorted before the OGR start.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
This lad seems to be in second place, already past the Scillies - is he really singlehanded, on such a monster boat, with so much traffic around?
Ship BP11 SOLO SAILOR (Inland, Unknown) Registered in France - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 0, MMSI 228042670, Call Sign FAH6719

I did it in 1993 - once was enough, that cured me for life!
It's Banque Populaire, crew of 7 for this race
La Rolex Fastnet Race, un mythe pour lancer la saison du Maxi Banque Populaire XI

Bobc

Visit site
Dozens of retirements. The two Ultime tri's have just rounded the rock. Sam Goodchild is doing an amazing job in 7th.

Apparently they saw over 45kts on some of the gusts last night, with 3m waves. Ouch!

sarabande

Visit site
Agreed, a large number of RTDs. More than I can remember for years apart from the '79 storm.

I think Banque Pop is doing very well in #2.

dunedin

Visit site
Cork Malt II went in to Newtown River! Headed off again this morning.
Perhaps they over indulged on the Malt overnight - didn’t restart till a leisurely 07:00 :)

Good way to avoid completely wrecking the dream - perhaps they had breakages, or perhaps the crew decided the had enough. But rather than retire stop for a while and see how seems in the morning. Not going to win the silverware but good way to preserve boat, crew and perhaps ultimately achieve the goal of Fastnet and Cherbourg (a little while after the Ultimas who should be there this afternoon).

mrming

instagram.com
There’s another interesting Finnish boat in IRC Zero - Tulikettu, currently 13th.

Martin_J

Visit site
Looks like the slower rated IRC classes will get a bit of wind (or should I say 'pressure') on the way back from the rock as well...

Screenshot_20230723-152736_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know that shows Penzance but it was just an indication...

Very much like our 2019 Fastnet race... is this really the middle of summer???

Other threads that may be of interest