Fastnet 2023

sailorman

Visit site
Yes. Really. The RNLI was not conceived to provide race safety boats for recreational sailors however proficient they consider themselves.
Racing to the Fastnet in 50 knots of wind is perhaps undertaken more readily in the knowledge that an RNLI volunteer will put themselves in peril to affect a rescue. RNLI were deployed from Yarmouth, Swanage and Weymouth while 3000 of the world's finest racing sailors enjoyed their sport.were the dover stn called upon🤔

sails_02

Visit site
So roughly 3000 of the world's best racing sailors

I would imagine the bulk of the sailors are making up numbers like myself when I participated in 2019, making up numbers among an experienced core crew. This is not exclusively a professional race by any measure, and I knew of a boat with a very poor maintenance schedule and a barely working VHF starting the race but luckily retiring before Plymouth on the way out.

In 2019 the forecast was for relatively stable but strong conditions but still terrifying as a first timer, I had committed to doing the race and turning up on the day and telling the skipper I wanted to abandon them because I was scared shitless wouldn't have gone down that well I imagine. At the time I thought deeply on the difference between a 600nm sail and a 600nm race, the race running in nearly any conditions, the sail likely waiting on weather. The weather in 2019 ended up being "really tough, brutal with confused sea" with only 50 retirements.

Had I been on the start list this year, I would have been very glad for a 24hr postponement, though this coming weekend looks to be relatively unpredictable, flaming makes a good point that it could've ended up being overall more exposure.

Great that they publish these videos to keep the another lap itch at bay for another few years. PlanetSail called it "Brutal" again.

Boathook

Visit site
Back in the mid fifties to early sixties my dad crewed on a Fastnet boat a few times, he also did a lot of JOG racing. He said that on one race they got to Falmouth and anchored for around 12 hours or more whilst a 'storm' went through. He reckoned that they weren't the only ones there. They then carried on and completed the race.
There's nothing to stop boats anchoring for a while as mentioned in some earlier posts. You won't get line honours but may actually find the race more 'enjoyable'.

jlavery

Visit site
I would imagine the bulk of the sailors are making up numbers like myself when I participated in 2019, making up numbers among an experienced core crew. This is not exclusively a professional race by any measure, and I knew of a boat with a very poor maintenance schedule and a barely working VHF starting the race but luckily retiring before Plymouth on the way out.

In 2019 the forecast was for relatively stable but strong conditions but still terrifying as a first timer, I had committed to doing the race and turning up on the day and telling the skipper I wanted to abandon them because I was scared shitless wouldn't have gone down that well I imagine. At the time I thought deeply on the difference between a 600nm sail and a 600nm race, the race running in nearly any conditions, the sail likely waiting on weather. The weather in 2019 ended up being "really tough, brutal with confused sea" with only 50 retirements.

Had I been on the start list this year, I would have been very glad for a 24hr postponement, though this coming weekend looks to be relatively unpredictable, flaming makes a good point that it could've ended up being overall more exposure.

Great that they publish these videos to keep the another lap itch at bay for another few years. PlanetSail called it "Brutal" again.
You've reminded me that 2019 wasn't a walk in the park. Falling off the back if square waves all the way across to the rock.

I know of at least one boat which retired because only 2 crew were left functioning with all the rest seasick.

It's an interesting point on being frightened. How far out of your comfort zone do you want to go? Fear before the event can be mitigated by preparation and trust in your skipper and fellow crew. Fear in the moment is harder to cope with!

sails_02

Visit site
You've reminded me that 2019 wasn't a walk in the park. Falling off the back if square waves all the way across to the rock.

I know of at least one boat which retired because only 2 crew were left functioning with all the rest seasick.

It's an interesting point on being frightened. How far out of your comfort zone do you want to go? Fear before the event can be mitigated by preparation and trust in your skipper and fellow crew. Fear in the moment is harder to cope with!

Exactly, I had never been seasick before and found the experience to be rather humbling after quite a few years of boat and sea related work. Once in the Irish Sea I would have sold my soul for a helicopter to come and pluck me off that boat. Sea sickness does interesting things to your mind.

Once we turned and the phosphorescence and dolphins accompanied our midnight downwind run I did 3 hours straight on the helm and was elated.

I trusted the skipper, the boat and the crew, but as you say, that can only get you so far. Once we got going the fear subsided and was overtaken by the deep depression of seasickness.

The experience was worthwhile but not to be underestimated by amateurs like myself.

Lightwave395

Visit site
Just being a bit dumb here. Do you mean across the traffic separations scheme lanes but not at right angles?
No, there are a number of total exclusion zones in red on the tracker, you'll se that no boats (except those two) have gone into any of them. Don't know for sure if it would be a time penalty or a disq. Looks as if the Aussie boat has given up and heading back to France now

Martin_J

Visit site
Just being a bit dumb here. Do you mean across the traffic separations scheme lanes but not at right angles?
The race instructions do make it clear that any entry into a TSS is not permitted...

The instructions don't include any charts/diagrams though so a quick read and you could miss the ones around the Isles of Scilly (or even the one near the rock!)

Screenshot_20230724-140704_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230724-140742_Drive.jpg

If you're running routing software you might have to add them in as 'no go' areas or the software will route you through them.

KREW2

Visit site
No, there are a number of total exclusion zones in red on the tracker, you'll se that no boats (except those two) have gone into any of them. Don't know for sure if it would be a time penalty or a disq. Looks as if the Aussie boat has given up and heading back to France now
According to YB tracking they are TSS's, but it looks as if the Lands end TSS's could have been crossed at right angles by some, but believe the fastnet rules don't allow any competitors to enter the TSS's hence they are exclusion zones.

Martin_J

Visit site
YB Trackers might not update regularly enough for them to show a close rounding of a corner of a TSS.. They could easily show a yacht cutting the corner.

I think AIS would be used for a more frequently updated track.

Martin_J

Visit site
I note others were talking earlier about postponing start times..

One thing that was done in the amendment number One to the sailing instructions (on the Thursday evening), was to change the start times for all the classes. The weather forecast was therefore taken into consideration.. it was never easy having the 100ft boats coming through the IRC4 fleet as we reached the Hurst Narrows.

"The start time amendment is aimed at reducing the compression of the fleets in Hurst Narrows and the Needles Channel in light of the Weather forecast."

Sailing instructions here...
SAILRACEHQ

Screenshot_20230724-143142_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wandering Star

Visit site
Great to see Imp, the old Irish ex-admirals cup IOR boat up there with the leading bunch in class 3
Apropos of nothing because I’m a dyed in the wool cruiser, I worked on a 6 month IT contract in Belfast quite a few years ago and to entertain myself I visited Carrifergus Marina where I was invited on board Imp for a Wednesday evening racing experience and what an experience it was! I was largely a passenger on a boat crewed by very very experienced sailors, left me feeling like a novice sailor. We won whatever the race was by a huge margin, I contributed nothing to the win (was probably a hindrance in truth) but enjoyed joinimg in the fabulous post race celebrationo.

Didn’t change my views on cruising though and I continue being a happy bunny if the boats at least moving through the water and in the generally correct direction.

mrming

instagram.com
Apropos of nothing because I’m a dyed in the wool cruiser, I worked on a 6 month IT contract in Belfast quite a few years ago and to entertain myself I visited Carrifergus Marina where I was invited on board Imp for a Wednesday evening racing experience and what an experience it was! I was largely a passenger on a boat crewed by very very experienced sailors, left me feeling like a novice sailor. We won whatever the race was by a huge margin, I contributed nothing to the win (was probably a hindrance in truth) but enjoyed joinimg in the fabulous post race celebrationo.

Didn’t change my views on cruising though and I continue being a happy bunny if the boats at least moving through the water and in the generally correct direction.
I used to climb about on Imp as a kid, when she was based at Howth marina in Dublin. Always loved that boat and great to see she’s still got it.

jlavery

Visit site
This race is certainly turning into a classic. Very light winds now near the rock. From boat breaking conditions on Saturday to a driftathon to test all aspects of a crew's skill.

dunedin

Visit site
I don't know if this is a stupid Q or not!
Do the Brit boat crews have to submit a Preavis Immigration/Notice at Cherbourg and get their passports stamped?
I would assume so, and submit the online equivalent to the C1331 for UK govt both going in and out of Cherbourg.
Suspect some boats will cross the finish line and head straight back across the channel without even getting a celebratory bier in France.
Another B-onus of our new status

jlavery

Visit site
I don't know if this is a stupid Q or not!
Do the Brit boat crews have to submit a Preavis Immigration/Notice at Cherbourg and get their passports stamped?
According to the Sailing Instructions, all formalities relating to:

• Foreign yachts arriving in the UK
  • UK yachts leaving the UK
  • UK yachts arriving in France
  • UK yachts returning to the UK
must be adhered to.