Fairline Boats purchased

jrudge

Visit site
I heard second hand on Thursday that is should have been sold on Friday but I have seen nothing to confirm that.

There was speculation as to who the buyer was but it was only speculation so I shall not fuel any rumours.

Good news if the deal has gone through.

EugeneR

Visit site
Absolutely brilliant news. Hope they keep the values that made Fairline a brand to be proud of. Maybe a premier sailing brand looking to move into power?

Last edited:

DougH

Visit site
I have never understood the 'rose tinted' attitude to the Fairline Company and their boats on this forum.

Yes they are good craft built to an acceptable standard, but really were always constructed to a "competitive" price just above Sealine and only to a slightly better than Sealine finish.

IMHO they always suffered from cash flow problems, hence the deal they done with Peters and the subsequent deal with Essex Boat Yards, who were able to offer large and extensive stock orders.

IMHO this only helped for short periods as the prices they were bought at only compound the cash flow problems even more.

Most folks that have purchased a new Fairline talk of the great deals they were offered with both an excellent part exchange price on their old boat and also a large discount off the new one.

Is it only the PRICE that people judge the quality of a boat on?

I'm sure that they would not take the same approach when buying a house or car.

Now awaiting the flack but please do not go out and buy Voodoo dolls and pins, it's only my opinion and as my wife tells me that does not count for much.:)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

If you understood that Smolensky is the new owner, I struggle to understand from whose viewpoint you can call that brilliant news... :ambivalence:
If this is the same Nicolai Smolensky who totally f****d up TVR, then this really is a frying pan to fire situation for Fairline. This guy is a rich kid who plays with companies because he can

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I think what you write there dougH is a broadly correct description of fairline, princess, ferretti group and sunseeker.

In general this all what the big brands, those known by average Joe do.
But when I worked for a short period of time for a Ferretti dealership in 1997 and 1998 (the Group was just being formed), Ferretti was a pretty much a to order builder. I think Fairline had the dealership concept existed since the 80s cause I have old MBY mags with Peters selling stock boats, as did some other dealers back in the days. I am not sure Ferretti changed this way a lot later on, I am sure they did most of the boats to order minus some stock as ordered by some dealers in the sub sixty feet sizes.

MapisM

Visit site
If this is the same Nicolai Smolensky who totally f****d up TVR, then this really is a frying pan to fire situation for Fairline. This guy is a rich kid who plays with companies because he can
Just for the records, mine was purely a guess based on what was posted before.
In hindsight, by "Fairlineski", maybe CLB meant (and stelican confirmed) just some Russian in general, 'dunno...

DTIM

Visit site
Fairline Acquisitions Ltd incorporated 6.1.16, sole director stated as Karl Tristan Gilding,. Two shareholders stated as - Alexander Volov & Igor Glyanenko. Chat on Facebook seems to suggest a tie in also to Bates.

Time Out

Visit site
Karl Gilding is ex Fairline ( and a bit of Sunseeker and Marina Marbella and originally Lewis Yachts. Very passionate about the brand.