Fair-weather Liveaboard thread

laika

Visit site
I have long thought that the challenges facing affluent retirees who spend half their lives on a yacht in the med and half in a nice house in the UK are entirely different form those faced by uk liveaboards who are commuting to work every day with a boat as their only residence. I'm not one for labels but it does suggest that there are two entirely different communities vying for relevance in this forum

Visit site
Is someone who holidays - or spends half the year - on a boat a Liveaboard? I would say no. They are just using a boat as boats should be used. They live at home and are staying on a boat. A liveaboard is someone who lives permanently on a boat.
I doubt if there are many who spend 365 nights (plus 1 in leap years) aboard. I would suggest that the majority on this forum don't give a toss for childish pedantry but wish to communicate with like-minded people. For the record and so that no one should be under a misapprehension I no longer live on either of my boats.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I doubt if there are many who spend 365 nights (plus 1 in leap years) aboard. I would suggest that the majority on this forum don't give a toss for childish pedantry but wish to communicate with like-minded people. For the record and so that no one should be under a misapprehension I no longer live on either of my boats.
Instead of answering my question you have decided to tell us that you are not a liveaboard. Good for you.

I would suggest the majority in this forum revel in the finer details of almost everything and especially in all things nautical.

I have met plenty of livaboards on my travels... people who live aboard 365 days a year. Some live aboard continuously for a year or two on a circuit and some have lived aboard for many years. Some livea board on the hard. Some live aboard in a marina and some live aboard on a mooring. And there are some who spend half the year or longer at anchor and then move to a marina in winter.

I think asking the question I asked in the Liveaboard section of this forum is entirely reasonable.

Star-Lord

Visit site
But no one cares how you want to define your own personal labels, it's irrelevant trying to force objectivity onto a subjective world.
Iive mostly on a boat. That's it.
I thank you for your reply.

I believe I replied to you and others earlier when I said, 'All very interesting and noted.'

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
HMRC will tell you where you live if it escapes you memory.
Realy? Last missive I had from them included their standard request to tell them if I changed my address.
As to 'cutting the mustard' - perhaps you need to look up its origin as you will find that it makes no sense in the context you used it.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Yes I met people claiming benefits sat on their boat in Portugal. They were liveaboards.

With all the 365 day liveaboards you profess to know, I'm surprised you aren't aware of the number who are totally out of any UK system - tax, health, banking etc. HMRC haven't a clue where they are. HMRC think they know where I am but, I know they're quite wrong :)

Star-Lord

Visit site
That's wrong as well in a lot of cases.
What else is
Realy? Last missive I had from them included their standard request to tell them if I changed my address.
As to 'cutting the mustard' - perhaps you need to look up its origin as you will find that it makes no sense in the context you used it.
LOL you have forgotten the orinal question.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Is someone who holidays - or spends half the year - on a boat a Liveaboard? I would say no. They are just using a boat as boats should be used. They live at home and are staying on a boat. A liveaboard is someone who lives permanently on a boat.
If you go away on holidays and return to the boat you live on then you have gone on a holiday but live on a boat.

nortada

Visit site
Been on board continuously since 22 Oct 19 (even more continuously now in lock down); had intended to return to the UK to the other boat on 31st March but that is now in abeyance TFN. Don't own a house so not sure what that makes us?

nortada

Visit site
What is boating? Is living on a boat 'boating?' That sounds like a different thread!

My expression was ‘boating circles’ which I would define as anybody who has anything to do with boats but possibly this a bit vague because I doubt if trawler-men would class themselves in boating circles, nor would the RN. Now there you have a fine body of liveaboards, even if they don’t go to sea very often.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I have two liveaboards in my marina who have 10 month contracts which is common in Italy because July and Aug are crazy prices. So they go and anchor for a couple of months. They have been livaboards for longer than this marina has been here for!