Exterior Varnish

jfkal

Visit site
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Has anyone come up with a TRUE UV resistant varnish? Am using International but the stuff is always gone after not more than three month. Any alternatives?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have varnished teak, which people always say is the most difficult.

I put the first coat on 4 years ago, with a minimum of 7 that first year, then 2 coats a year since, the lustre keeps improoving all the time. I always thin by about 10% which makes it easier to apply.

I suspect that you are not putting enough coats on initially. anthying less than 4 is just a waste of time.

I use either blakes or International, which ever is available.

ccscott49

Visit site
Try Coelans, german product, expensive, but brilliant stuff, I use it on teak and iroko on my boat in Portugal and the med, two years and not a mark on it. The blurb says it will last eight years in med weather from what I've seen already I can believe it.

jfkal

Visit site
I tried to find info on that product but the web yielded nothing. Do you have more info i.e. manufacturers name, where to buy??

THX

G

I had the same problem on my wooden mast and boom. A few seasons ago I applied a product called Deks Oilje (sp???) It is a two pack product.

It has been fantastic. The application was a bit tedious but the results and wear have been great.

Cheers

G

I've used Le Tonkinois (see PBO 419) for some years now and found it to be excellent in all respects - and if you have to revarnish small areas you can hardly see the repair.

The french navy have used it for years. It can be a little more demanding to apply - it's got no anti-bubble or anti-skin additives like many modern varnishes.

And for the sake of good order it must be said that my ex-wife is the importer here in Denmark, but believe me, it's great stuff - and yes, it does stay on teak and brings out the colour very nicely.

Lost in Denmark - a yachtsmans paradise!