EU Visa and Health Insurance

stranded

Visit site
Your craic in Eire doesn’t impinge on 90 days as we/they are part of our common travel area.

Yes, that was the plan - use up our 90 Schengen days in France/Spain, then another month or three in Ireland taking advantage of the common travel area. I’ve never been to Ireland and always wanted to. From what I hear of the weather I am not sure boat is the best way to do it, but we needed somewhere to extend our cruise that preferably isn’t England. So if we get the VLS-T we can now do the sailing in the sun and plan to do Ireland by land in the winter when the weather is more appropriate to the season. And I assume if we get one this year, it would be difficult for them to refuse in future unless our circumstances or their policies change significantly.

I’ll let you know how we get on with the visa. I’m hopeful: from our interactions.with the French immigration authorities in Brest and St Brieuc last summer, they seem way more welcoming than our own reputedly are.

Caladh

Visit site
Yes, that was the plan - use up our 90 Schengen days in France/Spain, then another month or three in Ireland taking advantage of the common travel area. I’ve never been to Ireland and always wanted to. From what I hear of the weather I am not sure boat is the best way to do it, but we needed somewhere to extend our cruise that preferably isn’t England. So if we get the VLS-T we can now do the sailing in the sun and plan to do Ireland by land in the winter when the weather is more appropriate to the season. And I assume if we get one this year, it would be difficult for them to refuse in future unless our circumstances or their policies change significantly.

I’ll let you know how we get on with the visa. I’m hopeful: from our interactions.with the French immigration authorities in Brest and St Brieuc last summer, they seem way more welcoming than our own reputedly are.
We went to S Eire last year and had a super time. However don’t go the Ireland for the weather……..! Likewise waiting the French visa.

Caladh

Visit site
Well my 6 month French visa application has been rejected. I have received a letter from the embassy in French indicating I won’t be able to support my self in France and that I have no place to stay, even though I have given 3 months bank statements with (I have to say) plenty of money and my Part 1 yacht registration. I am very disappointed of course because all we want to do is visit their country and spend some money. I am investigating how to appeal.

stranded

Visit site
Well my 6 month French visa application has been rejected. I have received a letter from the embassy in French indicating I won’t be able to support my self in France and that I have no place to stay, even though I have given 3 months bank statements with (I have to say) plenty of money and my Part 1 yacht registration. I am very disappointed of course because all we want to do is visit their country and spend some money. I am investigating how to appeal.

That’s very disappointing for you. And rather worrying for the rest of us. Did you include pics of your palatial floating abode and a rough itinerary of the marinas you hope to stay at together with an explanation why you can’t really book in advance because of the fickle French weather?

st599

Visit site

I seem to remember a colleague having to write in legal French to an officer in a provincial town pointing out why he passed the eligibility rules.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing. I'm just about to submit my application (having successfully applied last year). Last year, as well as evidencing bank statements and SSR, I also provided evidence of Passeport Escales membership (which comes with my UK berth contract) and argued that this was effectively a booking with the participating marinas (99% of marinas on the Atlantic / Channel coast of France). As this was all rather complicated to explain, I'd thought I would just rely on bank statements & SSR this year.......based on your experience, I have rewritten my covering letter to again reference the Passeport Escales. Fingers crossed!
PS IF it was the Passeport Escales that made the difference (and not variability between officials or a change in criteria this year), I think that membership can be purchased for a fixed period / number of nights. This based on discussions overheard whilst settling up in various Capitaineries over the years. So that might be a way of providing enough of an address to satisfy the system......
PPS . Worrying that, as well as rejecting your application for lack of an address, the embassy also cited insufficient means of support . Off to read the small print on the daily subsistence rate required. Last year it was over ten times what I actually spend when cruising. Wonder if that has been bumped up?

Last edited:

Forty_Two

Visit site
Thats bad news.

Means of Subsistence - How much money do you need for a Schengen Visa.

"Means of Subsistence for France
As the European Commission specifies, any foreigner seeking to enter France since 19 June 2014, when applying for France Visa, must be able to attest to the France Embassy or Consulate possessing the daily money amount of 120€ if holding no proof of prepaid accommodation. If the applicant has a prepaid hotel, then this amount reduces to 65€/daily for the period of covered hotel accommodation, while the rest is 120€. Also, if the applicant provides cheaper forms of accommodation, the amount decreases to 32.25€/ day"

I assume this is upto date but not certain. This is per person. Maybe they put you in the €120/ day category as no bookings. Assuming two of you that's over €43,000 for the six months. They like most of it to come from regular income for visas as I understand it & will look for cover for the full six months, but thats what they will need to easily understand is going to be available if that's the figure they are using for your application.

dpb

Visit site
Having obtained a VLS-T 6 month visa last year we went for our interview for this year's visa two days ago. We give the boat details (proof of ownership etc) and proof that the annual marina Contract (in France) has been paid and so far no questions. Last years based on same info came through with no queries.

Goldie

Visit site
I’m just about to start the application process (so any hints/tips appreciated!) but my question here is; approximately how long is the time between application and being called for interview please?

My plan is to enter France from Spain and then take a leisurely cruise back to U.K. but other commitments mean that I need to ensure that I’m in U.K. for interview time.

Last edited:

John_Silver

I’m just about to start the application process (so any hints/tips appreciated!) but my question here is; approximately how long is the time between application and being called for interview please?

My plan is to enter France from Spain and then take a leisurely cruise back to U.K. but other commitments mean that I need to ensure that I’m in U.K. for interview time.
You can select a time / date from a calendar on the TLS website. Tend to be fairly booked up a week to ten days forward. The calendar goes months forward, but not sure if those appointments are available to click on. I was looking for earliest available.

Goldie

Visit site
You can select a time / date from a calendar on the TLS website. Tend to be fairly booked up a week to ten days forward. The calendar goes months forward, but not sure if those appointments are available to click on. I was looking for earliest available.

That’s really useful, many thanks. I’m still struggling at the first hurdle - setting up the account - as despite using the site generated temporary password, it’s locked me out for an hour. Time for a coffee I think…. Many thanks again John_Silver

dpb

Visit site
Passports arrived today complete with new French VLS-T 6 month visa so all good.
Application made on line 10th Jan
Appointment at TLS London 23rd Jan.
Passport / Visa returned 1st Feb.
Annual berthing contract in France, proof of ownership of boat and address of Port Capitanarie all accepted for proof of accomodation.
New Visa starts 6 months to the day after old one expired.

John_Silver

Went up to London today to present documents, for this year’s VLS-T application. These came under a far more rigorous scrutiny, than last year. In two principal areas - which it would therefore be worth “bullet-proofing,” if you are applying:

1. “Proof of socio-economic status.” (A separate requirement to that of giving sight of bank account(s) containing at least £22k per head). Last year I just stated that I had retired but was too young to be drawing a pension and offered no documentation, other than the required written undertaking not to indulge in “professional activity” whilst in France.This year I thought that I’d gone one better by providing all 3 pages of my P45. This was initially rejected, as a proof. After some discussion with two supervisors and my officer I got a tick (literally) in the application checklist box. During the discussion it emerged that what was expected was a letter from an employer, educational establishment, or pension provider.

2. The lack of a French address took another quite lengthy discussion. Whereas last year use of the boat as my address was readily accepted (once SSR certificate and Passeport Escales membership documents were shown). As I felt that I was on good terms with the three TLS team members by now, I asked what other boat or camping car owners do. The view was that they generally provided a French address (by means which I could not elicit). Another tick was however finally secured on the submission checklist box, under the address section. This took quite a bit of talking and referencing of my SSR / Passeport Escales documentation and cover letter; explanation of the nature of cruising under sail (unpredictable weather, can’t book ahead etc etc) and expression of my gratitude for the granting of a VLS-T last year on a similar basis to this year’s application.

Even though the staff were welcoming and helpful throughout (and the atmosphere of the TLS centre itself far less febrile than last year, immediately post lockdown) it was a gruelling day. Hopefully with a happy ending, once the documents go forward to the embassy. Fingers crossed!

Main take out is, be prepared to have to make your case (verbally and in your covering letter) if you fall into the camps of neither working nor being in receipt of a pension: or do not have a French marina contract or address.

Last edited:

stranded

Visit site
Went up to London today to present documents, for this year’s VLS-T application. These came under a far more rigorous scrutiny, than last year. In two principal areas - which it would therefore be worth “bullet-proofing,” if you are applying:

1. “Proof of socio-economic status.” (A separate requirement to that of giving sight of bank account(s) containing better than £22k per head). Last year I just stated that I had retired but was too young to be drawing a pension and offered no documentation, other than the required written undertaking not to indulge in “professional activity” whilst in France.This year I thought that I’d gone one better by providing all 3 pages of my P45. This was initially rejected, as a proof. After some discussion with two supervisors and my officer I got a tick (literally) in the application checklist box. During the discussion it emerged that what was expected was a letter from an employer, educational establishment, or pension provider.

2. The lack of a French address took another quite lengthy discussion. Whereas last year use of the boat as my address was readily accepted (once SSR certificate and Passeport Escales membership documents were shown). As I felt that I was on good terms with the three TLS team members by now, I asked what other boat or camping car owners do. The view was that they generally provided a French address (by means which I could not elicit). Another tick was however finally secured on the submission checklist box, under the address section. This took quite a bit of talking and referencing of my cover letter, the nature of cruising under sail (unpredictable weather, can’t book ahead etc etc) and my gratitude for the granting of a VLS-T last year on a similar basis to this year’s application.

Even though the staff were welcoming and helpful throughout (and the atmosphere of the TLS centre itself far less febrile than last year, immediately post lockdown) it was a gruelling day. Hopefully with a happy ending, once the documents go forward to the embassy. Fingers crossed!

Main take out is, be prepared to have to make your case (verbally and in your covering letter) if you fall into the camps of neither working nor being in receipt of a pension: or do not have a French marina contract or address.
Cor - so they are applying the £120 per person per day test. That’s stiff.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

1. “Proof of socio-economic status.” (A separate requirement to that of giving sight of bank account(s) containing at least £22k per head). Last year I just stated that I had retired but was too young to be drawing a pension and offered no documentation, other than the required written undertaking not to indulge in “professional activity” whilst in France.This year I thought that I’d gone one better by providing all 3 pages of my P45. This was initially rejected, as a proof. After some discussion with two supervisors and my officer I got a tick (literally) in the application checklist box. During the discussion it emerged that what was expected was a letter from an employer, educational establishment, or pension provider.

2. The lack of a French address took another quite lengthy discussion. Whereas last year use of the boat as my address was readily accepted (once SSR certificate and Passeport Escales membership documents were shown). As I felt that I was on good terms with the three TLS team members by now, I asked what other boat or camping car owners do. The view was that they generally provided a French address (by means which I could not elicit). Another tick was however finally secured on the submission checklist box, under the address section. This took quite a bit of talking and referencing of my cover letter, the nature of cruising under sail (unpredictable weather, can’t book ahead etc etc) and my gratitude for the granting of a VLS-T last year on a similar basis to this year’s application.

In France, it is very important that they can put a check mark in every box.
However, they can be very flexible of the criteria they use for that check box.

Just make sure you have an official like piece of paper for every single check box. And just argue that it is the same thing/equivalent to what ever it is they are looking for Often they will just turn a blind eye, put the check box number of the piece of paper and check the box.

However, if you are missing a piece of paper for a check box, however silly it might seem, you will be in trouble.

Generally French civil servants in Prefectures and Maries are very helpful - just try to make their life easy by having a piece of paper for each of their check boxes!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In France, it is very important that they can put a check mark in every box.
However, they can be very flexible of the criteria they use for that check box.

Just make sure you have an official like piece of paper for every single check box. And just argue that it is the same thing/equivalent to what ever it is they are looking for Often they will just turn a blind eye, put the check box number of the piece of paper and check the box.

However, if you are missing a piece of paper for a check box, however silly it might seem, you will be in trouble.

Generally French civil servants in Prefectures and Maries are very helpful - just try to make their life easy by having a piece of paper for each of their check boxes!

Although it does depend on what sort of day they are having.

stranded

Visit site
Got our interview tomorrow. Managed to get a summer contract at a Morbihan marina just in time. Doubt we will use the berth much but hope that the Passeport Escales that comes with it will more than recoup the cost. Hoping that this will be enough to persuade them to apply one of the lower subsistence rates or else we will be in trouble. At least the interview location gives us an excuse to revisit our old stomping ground and a stay at the Alma in one Wandsworth, still one of my favourite pubs 😃 Will report back anything potentially useful we learn.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Got our interview tomorrow. Managed to get a summer contract at a Morbihan marina just in time. Doubt we will use the berth much but hope that the Passeport Escales that comes with it will more than recoup the cost. Hoping that this will be enough to persuade them to apply one of the lower subsistence rates or else we will be in trouble. At least the interview location gives us an excuse to revisit our old stomping ground and a stay at the Alma in one Wandsworth, still one of my favourite pubs 😃 Will report back anything potentially useful we learn.
Make sure you take with you absolutely everything on their list of documents.

Do not try to argue that something should not apply - just produce some official document of some kind (almost anything if desperate) and say that it corresponds to what was asked.
The number of documents is far more important than the content.
They need a document for each check box.

Goldie

Visit site
Does anyone have any first hand experience of going through the Visa process WITHOUT having an address or Passporte Escale please? We intend to enter France from Spain and cruise North before departing to U.K. so a marina contract would be pointless for us. The interview is in a couple of weeks.