EU Visa and Health Insurance

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
After spending 3 years as full time liveaboards in the med, which was entirely possible pre Brexit and the implementation of 90/180, I have spent sometime away from the boat outside of the EU. My boat is Polish reg and is currently in Spain. I am now looking to return and scratching my head as to what to do, since my 3 months will likely be up in June...

I've looked at the following visa options:
Portugal D7 Visa -- how many brits have got this post transition period and managed to open the bank account from abroad?
Spanish non Lucrative or the new Digital Nomad visa -- anyone with experience?
French Long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (VLS-TS) -- I have not seen this discussed and am keen to hear from anyone who has got this, is it applied for at the border of entry?

For all of these visas health insurance is required. Can anyone recommend an insurance provider that they have used and qualified for one of the above visas?

Also keen to hear how other full time liveaboards (those without a home to fly back to) are dealing with this now. Yes I know there is:
  • Morocco (is it bearable in summer, looks like it would be marina stay, perhaps Tangier for the entire 3 months.
  • Tunisia again as a destination summer seems like this would be unpleasant.
  • Montenegro - Montenegro - Advice and Recommendations
  • Canals to UK - seems possible, cost of living in UK and is a concern any recommendations for place to park Southerly 115 around Cornwall or Devon - access to surf is a must?
  • Leave boat in marina / on hard and travel 3 months - affordable summer marinas? Almerimar, Portimão, Any recommendations on the canals or Northern Spain ?
Thanks in advance for any replies. I know these topics may have been discussed before, though new year and constantly changing environment, maybe it is good to have a new discussion.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
The Spanish nomad visa requirements haven't been fully announced yet, but from what I've gathered are quite strict. My understanding so far is that you will be required to pay Spanish tax on your income coming from another country, and will have to meet certain criteria financially and provide a business plan.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Only know about French VLS-T. Had one last year and currently reapplying: Application is prior to departure via France-visas.gouv.fr website. From the UK, this requires a visit to a TLS centre (London or Edinburgh) to present documents. EHIC / GHIC covers the health insurance requirement. Took about 10 days for passport to be returned with visa last year.

PS On the strength of the VLS-T, I was able to enjoy 5 months’ cruising in France ( booking in and out through Cherbourg and Dieppe respectively) with a further month, on the north coast of Spain, sandwiched in the middle.

Last edited:

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Only know about French VLS-T. Had one last year and currently reapplying: Application is prior to departure via France-visas.gouv.fr website. From the UK, this requires a visit to a TLS centre (London or Edinburgh) to present documents. EHIC / GHIC covers the health insurance requirement. Took about 10 days for passport to be returned with visa last year.

Thank you for the reply. Well this sounds promising. I was under the impression the EHIC was no longer valid, but if it is then this is a very possible solution. Thanks.

PlanB

Visit site
Due to force of circumstances, I gave up the liveaboard life (and the boat) in Spain just before Brexit.
I spend a lot of time thinking about what on earth I would have done post-Brexit if my life hadn't changed. I have not reached a conclusion!
If you're thinking about Morocco, there's Marina Smir which is only about 20 miles from Gib/western end of Costa del Sol. No hotter than CdS.
Sanitas is private health insurance in Spain which others have found OK.
Nothing else helpful to add, I'm afraid.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Thank you for the reply. Well this sounds promising. I was under the impression the EHIC was no longer valid, but if it is then this is a very possible solution. Thanks.
Exactly as John_Silver said above. I did the same.

Be aware the VLS-T is for stays up to 6 months & E/GHIC is acceptable. This carries no residence obligations & must be applied for in your home country. You can also use your 90 days on top of the six months but that would put you into tax obligations in France. Six months must elapse between successive VLS-T visas.
The VLS-TS is for stays of up to 1 year but is a precurser to applying for residency. The E/GHIC is not acceptable for this visa.

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Do you or a partner not have any Irish ancestors who might help you out?
Ye, I can trace my heritage back to Ireland in the 1700s, but am a 4th gen South African, naturalised in the UK. I did get Greek residency, but got locked down in Italy and thus lost that due to not being there for 6 months. Spent the transition/lockdown year in Italy trying to get residency with no success.

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Exactly as John_Silver said above. I did the same.

Be aware the VLS-T is for stays up to 6 months & E/GHIC is acceptable. This carries no residence obligations & must be applied for in your home country. You can also use your 90 days on top of the six months but that would put you into tax obligations in France. Six months must elapse between successive VLS-T visas.
The VLS-TS is for stays of up to 1 year but is a precurser to applying for residency. The E/GHIC is not acceptable for this visa.

I've actually just filled out the application, it does not need to be done in a home country. I am applying in South Africa, with a British passport. The 6-12 month one can however only be applied 3 months in advance. So I'll have to keep this post updated as to success or not... I am wondering though if it would be possible to spend 2/3 months in Spain before entering France and starting the visa, essentially giving 15months on a 12 month visa. It certainly does seem to be the easiest visa to get.

Hooligan

Visit site
Is the other option to flip between Greece and Turkey? I think you could do effectively 6 months in each (for Greece read EU but used due to proximity). There are no visas necessary for Turkey and I believe the rule is similar ie stay is ok for 3 months then you need a break for 3 months. This you could do a quarter a year in each.

grumpygit

Visit site
Ye, I can trace my heritage back to Ireland in the 1700s, but am a 4th gen South African, naturalised in the UK. I did get Greek residency, but got locked down in Italy and thus lost that due to not being there for 6 months. Spent the transition/lockdown year in Italy trying to get residency with no success.

I feel sure that you will be able to renew the Greek residency card without to much pain. This time try to get the ten year card as this does not have the 6 month rule attached to it.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Pretty certain the EHIC/GHIC is only valid for short stays up to 90 days. I didn't see it mentioned here (Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU), probably because there's a 90 day limit anyway.

My wife couldn't use her EHIC for Greek residence card and needed annual private cover. I don't think EHIC/GHIC will be accepted for extended stays. I did hear one person say he'd used an EHIC to get residency. It that was in 2020 and there was always confusion in Greece and often depended on which official you asked.

John_Silver

In France, EHIC/GHIC is accepted up to 180 days. But not for longer stays / residence. BUT there was mention, on the TLS (who act as agents for French visa applications in UK) website of a UK form, which UK citizens wishing to retire to France could produce. As I was interested in a 180 day visa, I didn't fully read up to understand eligibility / whether it obviated the need for private medical cover. May be worth investigating though. Afraid I'm currently locked out of the TLS site, after some 'finger trouble,' so can't go back in to check / provide link. From memory the information was in the accompanying notes, after clicking on the 'visa type' header at the top of the form for booking an appointment.

stranded

Visit site

PS On the strength of the VLS-T, I was able to enjoy 5 months’ cruising in France ( booking in and out through Cherbourg and Dieppe respectively) with a further month, on the north coast of Spain, sandwiched in the middle.
That’s very encouraging. May I ask did you have to provide proof of accommodation or a marina contract in France, or did they accept a written explanation that you would be cruising on your own boat?

Caladh

Visit site

I have recently applied for the 6 month French tourist visa. Nightmare visit to the TLS centre and now I wait for my passport return. I had a phone call from the embassy the next day asking for my proof of residence in France. I had advised I was staying on my own yacht (Part 1 copied to them). But where are your actually staying I was asked ! Have you booked in to a marina ? She also said “we also have these problems with people in camper vans”. Total lack of understanding of what we cruising sailors do. Anyway she was going to “speak to my manager”………

John_Silver

That’s very encouraging. May I ask did you have to provide proof of accommodation or a marina contract in France, or did they accept a written explanation that you would be cruising on your own boat?
The latter. Stated, in the covering letter, that would be cruising between Dieppe and Hendaye stopping as weather dictated. Provided SSR (to link boat, me and home address).

stranded

Visit site
Fantastic, thank you - the 6 month tourist visa had somehow passed me by and I was rather glumly resigned to 3 months of sunshine then a bit of craic in Ireland - this makes things look much brighter! Bon voyage.

Caladh

Visit site
Fantastic, thank you - the 6 month tourist visa had somehow passed me by and I was rather glumly resigned to 3 months of sunshine then a bit of craic in Ireland - this makes things look much brighter! Bon voyage.
Your craic in Eire doesn’t impinge on 90 days as we/they are part of our common travel area.