EU private boater licenses recognition

Refueler

Visit site
We also can't complete the survey even though my wife is EU citizen resident there, with UK issued qualification.

Leaving out chartering, as a matter of interest has anyone been required to produce their qualification when visiting EU, sailing their own boat?

Yes. My Sunrider was UK flagged until SSR refused to renew ... and I was asked for 'licence' and Reg'r - a few times until they got used to me !! Daft really - as I know most of the Border Guards here.
Now its Lv flagged .. but I still use UK ICC ... but it must have CEVNI where I am as boat goes up river.
My other boat is Swedish flagged and no-one has asked me for licence ... probably because most here know its my boat !!

Tranona

Visit site
With the removal of EU recognition for UK qualifications (and vice versa), some paperwork that is valid in both regions is a good idea.
Not aware of any EU "recognition", nor of its removal. EU has no competence for for leisure boating - that is up to individual states. Recognition of qualifications is complex - mostly we talk here about individuals providing evidence of competence in specific circumstances when visiting other states. However the recognition issue at EU level is about qualifications to undertake professional work, but again there is nothing about this at EU level for leisure boats in a commercial setting. The third issue is mutual recognition where again there is nothing at EU level.

There have been attempts in the past to create an EU common licence, but never made any progress. This survey could be the basis for another attempt, but it will struggle, partly because of the conflation of "Europe" and EU but mainly I would suspect that the EU has far more important things to deal with.

Refueler

Visit site
The ICC would be, but it needs to be legally accepted on a wider basis. I always found it a bit odd that UNECE (UN Economic Commission for Europe) was creating an International award.

With the removal of EU recognition for UK qualifications (and vice versa), some paperwork that is valid in both regions is a good idea.

mmmmm not going to argue or discuss recognition of UK quals' .... but make one comment :

The RYA syllabus is widely used to base examinations out here ... in fact its quite common in many countries round the world ...

Some years ago and we were thinking to look at the setup ... Latvia has classes - but then examination is done in Estonia ... right old mix-up !! When James was at RYA (retired now) we were in discussion about bringing RYA based examinations here in Latvia to avoid the Estonian mess. Back then you can imagine that some 'local people' were not too happy and created 'roadblocks' to it ... they could see a nice earner going away ...
We may just look at it all again.

Bouba

Visit site
That must be because you look like a dodgy bastard....................................................... ;)
Often it’s just because I’m the only boat around and they want to keep their hand in....one time, I might have got a little close to the Flagship....but she did park in front of me

Tranona

Visit site
mmmmm not going to argue or discuss recognition of UK quals' .... but make one comment :

The RYA syllabus is widely used to base examinations out here ... in fact its quite common in many countries round the world ...

Some years ago and we were thinking to look at the setup ... Latvia has classes - but then examination is done in Estonia ... right old mix-up !! When James was at RYA (retired now) we were in discussion about bringing RYA based examinations here in Latvia to avoid the Estonian mess. Back then you can imagine that some 'local people' were not too happy and created 'roadblocks' to it ... they could see a nice earner going away ...
We may just look at it all again.
That is because it is arguably the "best" scheme available with its varying levels, tailored to specific sectors and competence based assessment. You can understand local resistance which has always been the barrier to adopting any external qualification or a "universal" one such as an EU wide one. The ICC is the best compromise perhaps because it was developed by a specific group of waterways without any political interference.

veshengro

Visit site
We also can't complete the survey even though my wife is EU citizen resident there, with UK issued qualification.

Leaving out chartering, as a matter of interest has anyone been required to produce their qualification when visiting EU, sailing their own boat?
In seven voyages to and wanderings/ wintering in the Med between 1999 and 2012 the answer to your last question is No, never.
Frequently asked for Insurance and ship's papers of course, and once checked for Flare dates by the Portuguese Maritime Police who boarded me at Culatra down by Faro. But times have changed, so they probably want your inside leg measurement now. 🤣

Clarification to above. I never went near France, always straight down to Spain, Portugal or Gibraltar, so can't speak for French regs.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Yes some many years ago, 15 + in Rotterdam, shortly after NL introduced the need for Dutch skippers to have training. A big inspection cutter, tow on board, plus its crew. Very polite, and wanted to show the newest member british yacht papers, along with radio, and nav quals.. Once on the table, coffee was served..

Boathook

Visit site

Quite a few years ago marina at St Malo asked to see my passport that I didn't have on me at the time. I have never been asked for other bits of paper yet.

Main and only marina concern is getting payment for your stay !

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The survey has been amended after I wrote and pointed out problems

Good morning mr.
, we just added an “other…” option in the first and second questions in the survey (about your country of nationality and of residence, respectively), and we also added UK to the list in question 5a (regarding where your licence was issued). Now everything should work properly for you!

davidaprice

Visit site
However, this survey appears to be about recognition of licences.
Actually if you follow it to the end, you'll find it's about two things: mutual recognition of licences (in my opinion a good thing) and making licences mandatory for boating in all countries (in my opinion a bad thing).

Another couple of criticisms of the questionnaire: it only allows you to select one nationality, but I have two; when listing your qualifications it makes no distinctions between state qualifications (e.g. ICC) and non-state qualifications (e.g. RYA qualifications).

Gibeltarik

Visit site
For more background:
It was Hungary who raised the issue with the EU Commission as their commercial qualifications were not being recognised by other countries eg Spain and Portugal - super yacht crews.
Add to this the Rhine Commission trying to limit recoignised national qualifications to the riparian states and Belgium (the CCNR members)
And then the EU civil servants decided to take a holistic approach and review the big picture as described by David

'it's about two things: mutual recognition of licences (in my opinion a good thing) and making licences mandatory for boating in all countries (in my opinion a bad thing)'

I agree with David!