EU citizen buying used 6M boat in Spain that's on SSR

Hurricane

Visit site
I think you will fine it is obligatory to cancel UK SSR if you change ownership.
also it is possible that the new owner will have to pay tax on purchase of the boat if he is keeping it in Spain.
Also also the new owner may be responsible for unpaid tax by the previous owner.
You have made several points.
You may be correct about the de-registration but it is only the SSR - I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over an SSR registration.
Yes, get the boat removed from the UK register.

But you are wrong about the tax.
The OP says that it will be a private sale - so no tax is due on that transaction.

Nobody is responsible for someone else's tax.
The boat will probably have had VAT paid on it in the past - this needs to be confirmed - preferably with proof.
If the boat had UK VAT paid on it initially and it was in the EU on the 31st December 2020, then it will be regarded as EU Goods and no further VAT is required.
If this is the case and we know that the new owner is an EU resident so no further tax will be required.
He is just an EU resident buying an EU VAT pad Good.

And, as I say, registration has absolutely nothing to do with the tax situation.

billskip

Visit site
You have made several points.
You may be correct about the de-registration but it is only the SSR - I wouldn't loose a lot of sleep over an SSR registration.
Yes, get the boat removed from the UK register.

But you are wrong about the tax.
The OP says that it will be a private sale - so no tax is due on that transaction.

Nobody is responsible for someone else's tax.
The boat will probably have had VAT paid on it in the past - this needs to be confirmed - preferably with proof.
If the boat had UK VAT paid on it initially and it was in the EU on the 31st December 2020, then it will be regarded as EU Goods and no further VAT is required.
If this is the case and we know that the new owner is an EU resident so no further tax will be required.
He is just an EU resident buying an EU VAT pad Good.

And, as I say, registration has absolutely nothing to do with the tax situation.
I'm afraid I cant agree with you.
From what I understand is that a uk flagged boat can stay in Spanish waters for un limited time provided that the owner/user of the boat is not deemed to be a tax or resident of any sort,otherwise the owner will have to pay 12% tax.
AFAIK that tax if not paid becomes the responsibility of the new owner.
This really depends on weather the existing owner is a tax resistant and has paid.
When the new owner may have to present his papers (especially if keeping in boat yard) it will be noted that that boat has changed hands.
If boats change hands ( even privately)I believe tax has to be paid.
I think a lot depend on the existing owners residence status.

Portofino

Visit site
All we know from post # 1 “ i am here a lot “

They the whole EU are looking into members living too long in one state and hanging on to the a usually lower tax status in another .
Various reasons the popular go to places say Sp as an example, ( but there are others ) locals rightly whinge public services are stretched by incomers . Say how many Spanish citizen rock up at Copenhagen A+E emergency rooms ?
Compared with Scando s clogging the stained Spanish health care / Ambulances, maternity etc etc .Paying nothing in the grand reciprocal arrangement .

I think reintroduction of border control s are coming down the tracks so the Marbella police know exactly how many Lithuanians are living locally and who they are .

kashurst

Visit site
register the boat as Dutch - easy to do all online, should be OK for Irish citizen to do as all concerned EU based.

billskip

Visit site
Spain's tax is simple ...you pay on everything. If you gift money it can be as much as 80%tax. If you buy a car over €1500 you pay tax. If you win lottery you pay 20%tax if you have more than €700k you pay wealth tax. And you are responsible for anything that you acquire that is owing tax.
But I like the sunshine......

billskip

Visit site
register the boat as Dutch - easy to do all online, should be OK for Irish citizen to do as all concerned EU based.
Do the Dutch not require a user to have a license ?
This is the good thing about the SSR, although not directly connected, the RYA ICC bypasses all the Spanish regulations.
I dont know how much they tie up the radio licence with the regulations.
I remember I had to be fluent in Greek to get a Greek skipper ticket 25yrs ago, and I believe Spain also link the flag with the radio licence meaning fluent Spanish is a necessity.

kashurst

Visit site
Do the Dutch not require a user to have a license ?
This is the good thing about the SSR, although not directly connected, the RYA ICC bypasses all the Spanish regulations.
I dont know how much they tie up the radio licence with the regulations.
I remember I had to be fluent in Greek to get a Greek skipper ticket 25yrs ago, and I believe Spain also link the flag with the radio licence meaning fluent Spanish is a necessity.
I believe the Dutch require a license but doesn't have to be Dutch, I looked into this pre brexit as a possible solution depending upon the "deal"

Irish Rover

Visit site
As usual on YBW the thread has gone off the rails. Every national registry that I've ever dealt with including Ireland requires proof of deregistration from the previous flat state registry. On the basis of the information given by the OP about the history of the boat VAT is not an issue.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
As usual on YBW the thread has gone off the rails. Every national registry that I've ever dealt with including Ireland requires proof of deregistration from the previous flat state registry. On the basis of the information given by the OP about the history of the boat VAT is not an issue.
And it is dead easy to do and to get from the UK registry. Almost instant via internet/email.

Hurricane

Visit site
OK I take your point about the OP's question but @billskip has said some stuff that just isn't correct.

Hurricane

Visit site
I'm afraid I cant agree with you.
From what I understand is that a uk flagged boat can stay in Spanish waters for un limited time provided that the owner/user of the boat is not deemed to be a tax or resident of any sort,otherwise the owner will have to pay 12% tax.
As I said, registration (the flag of the boat) has absolutely nothing to do with Goods status of the boat.
The ownership of the boat is a different matter.
Think of the boat as a TV (or any other item).
The tax implications are whether that item is in "goods circulation" within the EU or not.
Where the hell do you get 12% from?
Please show me links to explain what you are saying.

billskip

Visit site
The fact that I brought a boat to Spain, bought another boat and sold both boats I know exactly what I had to do and be aware of.

billskip

Visit site
As I said, registration (the flag of the boat) has absolutely nothing to do with Goods status of the boat.
The ownership of the boat is a different matter.
Think of the boat as a TV (or any other item).
The tax implications are whether that item is in "goods circulation" within the EU or not.
Where the hell do you get 12% from?
Please show me links to explain what you are saying.
Quote....This means an acquisition in Spanish territory of foreign vessels and between foreign parties would be taxable....unquote...
Look yo know all the answers, I just took above snip out of an article ...

Hurricane

Visit site
Quote....This means an acquisition in Spanish territory of foreign vessels and between foreign parties would be taxable....unquote...
Look yo know all the answers, I just took above snip out of an article ...
A link to that quote would be helpful.

Thinking about it, your reference to 12% must refer to Spanish Matriculation Tax which only applies to a Spanish resident.
The OP is Irish.
Everything you write mixes up different aspects which causes misunderstanding.

billskip

Visit site
A link to that quote would be helpful.

Thinking about it, your reference to 12% must refer to Spanish Matriculation Tax which only applies to a Spanish resident.
The OP is Irish.
Everything you write mixes up different aspects which causes misunderstanding.
Actually matriculation tax is only levied against boats over 8 mtrs. ....
As for the link the info is out there but what difference does it make,its wrong according to you.
It's quite simple really, I advised the OP to seek out and get information from the relevant authorities, this advice I stand by.
Your seeking to talk down any comments by me is your choice, it's sad really.
I dont wish to continue, you are correct in everything you say......carry on....

Irish Rover

Visit site
I wonder would FAT consider setting up a juvenile forum for the members who want to engage in "you did, I didn't' schoolyard type bickering.