Essential kit when you go sailing...

Neil

Visit site
"Anecdote??" "Carry weight?" "Have to?" "Blankets"?

What is wrong with your comprehension? Have you not understood that it matters nothing to me what you think of the situation I have touched on. Nothing. Get used to it.

Sorry, but why touch on it at all, in that case?

Serin

Visit site
Sorry, but why touch on it at all, in that case?

To give some context to my post.

I can't help wondering, however, if Jumbleduck and, to a lesser extent you, realise just how insulting and offensive your posts appear? Even if I wanted to "prove" or justify my own view of this tragedy to you or anyone else, what possible point could there be? You have both made your positions clear. If you were curious, interested or open minded I might be willing to discuss. But neither of you is curious, interested or open minded. That is obvious. You just want to deny and challenge. Do you really expect me to enter into a silly little ego battle (because that's what it would be) about the tragic deaths of three people?

Grow up.

Keef

Visit site
Sorry Serin. I think Jumbleduck and myself were being a little facetious. To get back to the thread I imagine a good tool that is compact like a Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife, some decent fishing gear would be good if you got into a spot of bother at sea. You would really want the ultimate grab bag if things went mammaries up. I'd have a decent knife-multi tool, a torch, some fishing gear and a way of harvesting rainwater. You could do alright with that for a while.

Neil

Visit site
I don't want to get into any sort of slanging match, but of all the sailers I'm familiar with, sleeping bags are the norm. I sympathise with your tragic loss, but that was was not revealed until I questioned the validity of your statement. I still cannot not see how being in a sleeping bag could influence egress from a sinking/burning boat, and in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, will continue to use a sleeping bag. Should you wish to advise the forum to the contrary, I will be an avid listener. After all, you could have adequately illustrated your point without any reference to your loss.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear that, and offer my condolences. I still find it hard to believe that sleeping bags had anything to do with it.

Thanks. These things happen. To the best of my knowledge, no sleeping bags were involved, though in one case advanced pancreatic cancer probably played its part.

"Anecdote??" "Carry weight?" "Have to?" "Blankets"?

What is wrong with your comprehension? Have you not understood that it matters nothing to me what you think of the situation I have touched on. Nothing. Get used to it.

You weighed in here to give some worrying advice about something which many of us use regularly. Our reaction seems to matter very much to you, judging by the effort you are expending in saying that it doesn't, so if the risk is as great as you claim then I would have expected you to want to be taken seriously, and you'll only do that by giving some credible evidence.

Otherwise I'm afraid it's just an interesting story.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Thanks. These things happen. To the best of my knowledge, no sleeping bags were involved, though in one case advanced pancreatic cancer probably played its part.

You weighed in here to give some worrying advice about something which many of us use regularly. Our reaction seems to matter very much to you, judging by the effort you are expending in saying that it doesn't, so if the risk is as great as you claim then I would have expected you to want to be taken seriously, and you'll only do that by giving some credible evidence.

Otherwise I'm afraid it's just an interesting story.

+1

There are plenty of sleeping bags about with 'burst' zips that will open with a solid tug if one wished to be paranoid about such things. My risk assessment would be that the likelihood of a serious accident is heightened far more by sleep derivation to the crew than a zipped up sleeping bag. People have been using such items since at least the 1940s (my father's era) and I'd surmise long before and I can't say I've heard any reliable reports of anyone being lost at sea because of one.

Edited to add: I still have the sleeping bag my Uncle used in the 1968 OSTAR in my loft - now there was a proper sailor.

FistralG

Visit site
I bet Pete never expected an argument over sleeping bags to develop when he started this thread.

Personally I've not yet found one big enough to be comfortable.

I prefer a double duvet wrapped round me if its cold enough to require bedding.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I bet Pete never expected an argument over sleeping bags to develop when he started this thread.

Personally I've not yet found one big enough to be comfortable.

My specification was (a) rectangular and (b) soft covering, inside and out. To my slight surprise, Tesco Value ones (£10.74!) met the spec fine and mine has survived five seasons in good nick. Reasonably warm and I have half a dozen fleece blankets from IKEA in case of cold.

ronsurf

Visit site
I remember reading the story of a guy who was killed by a bear in the middle of the night because he didn't get out of his sleeping bag quick enough (or his tent, in fact).

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I remember reading the story of a guy who was killed by a bear in the middle of the night because he didn't get out of his sleeping bag quick enough (or his tent, in fact).

How much faster would he have had to get out of his sleeping bag to be absolutely certain of not being killed?

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
I got my sleeping bag for my 18th birthday 32 years ago. It's a 4 season mountain climbing, bivuacing sort of thing, with no zip, just a cord to draw the hood in round your face. You wriggle into it and pull the string and there you are as snug as the giant larva you look like; untill you need to get out of it again. It worked well for mid-winter camping in Glen Coe but a bit too warm for most other times and places. It's still in good condition and it sometimes comes with me on other peoples' boats, but it's getting a bit too small for my middle-age spread now. A new one is called for! A sheet and a fleecy blanket might do the job for most of the sailing I do.

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
Anyway, my winter sailing bag contains:

Sailing shoes
Sailing wellies
Change of clothes including thermal longs & midlayer
Oilies - salopettes and jacket
Wooly hat
Another wooly hat
Self inflating life-jacket and clippy-on strap
Sailing knife
Diving knife
2 pairs of dinghy gloves
Water bottle from my bike

Birdseye

Visit site
handheld gps and batteries, epirb, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap towel and bog paper ( cant abide being dirty), quick dry washable grundies and socks, sunblock, sunglasses, spare hat ( am bald), ships biscuits ( in out case fruit laden rock cakes), multitool, 2m of electrical wire, emergency fan belt, couple of choccy blocks, handful small nuts bolts screws, placcy bags, all the usual oilies , boots etc.

D

Deleted member 36384

Portable meteor impact cage in case I can't get out of my sleeping bag to reach the liferaft, 10p for the telephone in case I have to dial my Mum, clean underwear for the ambulance, all packed in reverse order into my grab bag; Teddy in case it all gets too much.

Wansworth

Visit site
The whole idea of actually going anywhere is way too stressful.Firmly tied to the pontoon ensures that whatever you have forgotten can be easily bought from the nearby shops.