Entirely green, landlocked, idiot; thinking of doing yachtmaster zero to hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Not my experience, even though I was on the old form of contract that you are probably thinking of I still had courses scheduled in my last few years during what had once been my free sailing time. More recent contracts were even more restrictive. I also read that pension terms are being eroded and that a new permanent full time contract is a rarity.
Agree, I was on the NATFHE contract, TUPEd in from NHS. Over 20od years I became increasingly aware of the reduction of freedom inherent in new contracts, plus the cultural sense of increasing control by management.

Reactions: srm

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Many of us started at zero, and have got to Yacht-master (Offshore) but it is not easy, it took me about 3 years of evening classes to get the shore-based theory and around 5 years on the water to accumulate the required mileage, the exam itself was very extensive, with the examiner suddenly asking a question when he thought I was looking a bit too relaxed.
That was 40 years ago, but I’m still proud of my YM certificate of competence and would recommend to all those that sail to at least do part of the RYA syllabus.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I remember the fear and dread of taking rule of the road tests in the RN. 70% would have been failure in fact I dont ever recall anyone getting that low.
I often ask YM candidates what the passmark is for a bridge officer in the RN in their monthly written exam on IRPCS. (it’s 100%,)

My hope is they realise that a good knowledge of IRPCS is just a bit important.

srm

Visit site
I often ask YM candidates what the passmark is for a bridge officer in the RN in their monthly written exam on IRPCS. (it’s 100%,)
Likewise for all MN, Fishing, and Boatmaster oral exams. Monthly checks would undoubtedly improve watchkeeping though.

We had a case in Orkney, quite a few years ago, when a local interisland ferry tried to force a right of way with a cruise liner in a narrow channel between islands. The skipper's reasoning was "I'm always here at this time of the afternoon". No collision but a complaint to Coastguard and MCA by the cruise company.

The ferry skipper kept his licence but the MCA insisted that he was taken off the route and sent to Orkney College's Maritime Studies Dept until we were happy that he understood the Col Regs.

dunedin

Visit site

My hope is they realise that a good knowledge of IRPCS is just a bit important.
But they are full time paid professionals, not part timers.
And not stopped some rather embarrassing RN c..k ups.

srm

Visit site
But they are full time paid professionals, not part timers.
Even so, part timers are playing in the same environment and subject to the same rules and regs, as the professionals. The IRPCS have been drafted to try and increase the safety of all vessels.

Rule 1 a0
"These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels."

Or are you suggesting that there should be some sort of concession for the part timers so that they can mess about without regard for other vessels? In which case you are no doubt happy to be a "WAFI".

I remember looking down from a survey vessel that was clearly showing the correct shapes to indicate that it was restricted in its ability to maneuver. Bobbing close along side in our wind shadow (we were only doing 5 knots) was a smallish sailing boat. The two characters in the cockpit were making obscene gestures and holding on to beer cans.

capnsensible

Visit site
Are you colour blind? This is probably the most common reason for someone young and fit not to get a full ENG1, and you won't get work as a yacht skipper with a restricted medical.

Otherwise go for it, I'm sure you'll learn in 3 months what it took me years to get as a holiday sailor...
Your license will be endorsed for daylight hours only. I know a couple of people who did this having their ENG1 at the end of a fast track course rather than the beginning.....

dunedin

Visit site
Even so, part timers are playing in the same environment and subject to the same rules and regs, as the professionals. The IRPCS have been drafted to try and increase the safety of all vessels.

Rule 1 a0
"These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels."

Or are you suggesting that there should be some sort of concession for the part timers so that they can mess about without regard for other vessels? In which case you are no doubt happy to be a "WAFI".

I remember looking down from a survey vessel that was clearly showing the correct shapes to indicate that it was restricted in its ability to maneuver. Bobbing close along side in our wind shadow (we were only doing 5 knots) was a smallish sailing boat. The two characters in the cockpit were making obscene gestures and holding on to beer cans.
A large battleship or nuclear submarine crashing into things can do a lot more damage than a typical 40 foot yacht. (And if you don’t believe in that, then presumably you can’t approve of any singlehanded sailors, who can’t possibly keep watch to the same standards as expected from an RN warship).
But there isn’t much evidence that amateur yacht navigators and skippers are a big issue in practice.

PhillM

Visit site
Not my experience, even though I was on the old form of contract that you are probably thinking of I still had courses scheduled in my last few years during what had once been my free sailing time. More recent contracts were even more restrictive. I also read that pension terms are being eroded and that a new permanent full time contract is a rarity.
I manage resourcing for a school in a post 92 institution. Even on the new contract there is plenty of freedom outside the 2 x 12 week teaching semesters. Pensions are generous (perhaps not as gold plated as in the past) but waaaay better than almost anything you could get in industry.

Your license will be endorsed for daylight hours only. I know a couple of people who did this having their ENG1 at the end of a fast track course rather than the beginning.....
The chap I knew was endorsed "no solo watchkeeping", and so that was his plan of becoming a sail training skipper up the swanny...

ylop

Visit site
Ignoring the pros/cons of zero to hero courses, how do you know this is what you really want to do ? It’s quite a cost and time commitment to get half way through and think - nah this is cold, wet, miserable, sea sick inducing nonsense. Even if you discover that you really enjoy sailing, lots of people suddenly find themselves in life situations (a new relationship, perhaps kids, elderly relatives, medical conditions etc) where they have much less flexibility to do the type of work that new YM might attract.

srm

Visit site
To continue the point made by @ylop, working in yachting seems like a dream job, but the reality can be very different. I found as a charter skipper/RYA sailing school trying to run a sailing vessel to a timetable could be demanding. Things like having to get the boat to pick up a new crew having just dropped off a particularly trying group 60 miles up the coast with a low pressure system coming through. Deliveries can be challenging, if an old boat is it actually safe and capable for the passage, or a new boat must be in showroom condition when you hand it over. In either case the owner may not be willing to pay for a full set of ocean safety gear as it will only be used for day sailing at the destination.

Sailing to your own timetable and sailing to someone else's are very different experiences. It's not all bad though; I had a lot of good times.

srm

Visit site
A large battleship or nuclear submarine crashing into things can do a lot more damage than a typical 40 foot yacht.
Obviously.

However the 40 ft yacht can put a larger vessel in a situation where it takes avoiding action, and may as a consequence cause damage or be damaged. Just one example where a part timer could cause serious problems for larger vessels:
"shall not impede the safe passage of . . . ."

I have heard the argument made that it is less costly to run down a yacht and pay compensation than risk putting a tanker aground and have a major pollution incident and salvage coats.

A thorough understanding and consistent application of the IRPCS is in everyone's interest, whatever vessel they may be on. For the part timer being able to recognise the other vessel's situation can help with self preservation. Personally, I try not to hinder anyone who is at sea for work.

WannabePirate

Visit site
Hi all! So I went on the course, passed through it all quite well, top in most things.

Had a nice examiner, a well experienced salty boy that was on the first whitbread round the world race. Been examining for about 50 years…maybe someone here had him too!

Since then, I had 5 days off…then I’ve jumped on a 38foot, 100 year old gaff rigged cutter. Joined in Gosport as crew and we’re currently down in Vigo. Now I’m first mate though!

Having a whale of a time, but hoping for no time with whales in the next few legs to the canaries.

jlavery

Visit site
Hi all! So I went on the course, passed through it all quite well, top in most things.

Had a nice examiner, a well experienced salty boy that was on the first whitbread round the world race. Been examining for about 50 years…maybe someone here had him too!

Since then, I had 5 days off…then I’ve jumped on a 38foot, 100 year old gaff rigged cutter. Joined in Gosport as crew and we’re currently down in Vigo. Now I’m first mate though!

Having a whale of a time, but hoping for no time with whales in the next few legs to the canaries.
Fantastic, well done. Now time to hopefully enjoy getting lots of miles and experience

Which it sounds like you're doing!

jlavery

Visit site

Hopefully this is a paid position?

Status
Not open for further replies.