Engine hours

cdogg

Visit site
When buying a used yacht what would normally be considered low/normal engine hours on a privately owned 4/5 year old 35' cruising yacht. Day/weekend/2 week summer holiday type of use only, no racing or long distance cruising.

The engine looks and runs really well and has a history of main dealer servicing. The engine hour meter doesn't work. I know it is a bit like how long is a piece of string, but just opinions would do.
Thanks

snowleopard

Visit site
I have 1700 hours after 10 years but that does include long stints like across Biscay, Falmouth to Fort William, Chichester to Inverness and most of the way from Bermuda to the Azores. These days we seem to clock up around 50 hours a year.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
When buying a used yacht what would normally be considered low/normal engine hours on a privately owned 4/5 year old 35' cruising yacht. Day/weekend/2 week summer holiday type of use only, no racing or long distance cruising.

The engine looks and runs really well and has a history of main dealer servicing. The engine hour meter doesn't work. I know it is a bit like how long is a piece of string, but just opinions would do.
Thanks

Mine has done just under 1000 hours in 25 years, as far as I know. That seems plausible for a titchy (1GM10) auxiliary. I'd expect a more grunty engine, the sort which might be used regularly to avoid beating to windward, to have done a fair bit more.

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
I think the servicing is the main point, if it has been well serviced, starts well, runs well then you must be in with a good chance no matter what. I would have thought there was more chance of something going wrong with an engine (and gearbox) that had little running over an extended period

snowleopard

Visit site
I'd expect a more grunty engine, the sort which might be used regularly to avoid beating to windward, to have done a fair bit more.

Yes, having more power does tempt you to use it more. For example a wind shift when 100 miles off the Azores left us dead downwind so rather than spend another day beating into it we just started up the engines and went for it.

Needed to get from the S coast to the Caley canal but it was flat calm so on with the donks and tied up 51 hours later.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I did 2,500 in 6 years but that was 15,000 miles and half the length of America twice in the ICW and one run down the French Canals :)

100hrs a year is average but it can vary wildly.

Servicing is the key. Regular filter changes, oil and coolant changes and when the time comes cam belts and injectors.

Used properly and looked after properly they can go on and on.

cliff

Visit site
I would guess 50~100 average per year - Mine is a lot less :p In and out of the marina is about it then up with the rags, donk off and relax.

Tranona

Visit site
I would guess 50~100 average per year - Mine is a lot less :p In and out of the marina is about it then up with the rags, donk off and relax.

That is the way to ruin an engine! It is not the overall hours that is relevant it is the time run each time it is used. My Volvo 1030 has done over 3000 hours in 10 years. As a charter boat in the rather windless Med it would run 3 or 4 hours a day 7 days a week, typically at 2400 revs. Old and filter changed every 100 hours.

fmoran

Visit site
About 100 hours a year is ok, but as many have said it's all to do with the service the engine has got. Good service and 200+ would be no problem at all for a Yanmar 54HP.

johnalison

Visit site
I would reckon about 100hrs is about as much as a holiday and weekend sailor will do. I go away for 3 months and am on the move about every other day and usually do 200-250, but that includes a longish North Sea crossing and invariably motoring the length of Holland and the Kiel Canal. Just getting to Kiel can use up 40 hours.

jimi

Visit site
I would say the hours is almost irrelevant. What is relevant is the amount of oil changes and the occasional running (under load) at almost full throttle for a long period. I change oil every 6 months and ensure I have a good blast occasionally.

eagleswing

Visit site
more engine issues..

yanmar usa states they have seen a diesel with 10,000 hours going strong. what ruins the engine is running it at low rpms 1000-1500 and not running it at wide open throttle 2400-2800 rpms for an hour once a month to blow out all of the combustion products. an additional age-related factor is that fuel tanks can collect a lot of tar and sediment on the bottom which will stir up in high seas and clog the fuel filter. the clogged fuel filter results in bad or no running of the engine and can lead one to unfairly blame the engine, when in fact the engine is trying to run on contaminated fuel.

i'd pay for --or do --- an inspection of the fuel tank. dip a long clean stick into it and if there is junk at the bottom of the tank , get a professional tank clean.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I know a Yanmar 4JH4E in a SO 40 here that is 12 years old now, has a bit over 6,000 hours on the clock, has never needed anything more than routine maintenance in its lifetime, starts easily every time and runs like a dream (touch wood!).
And for it's first 9 years of service (clocking up approx 5,000 hrs) this SO 40 was in the charter trade in the BVIs, where charterers are not generally renowned for being kind to the engines.
Hopefully it will have another few thousand hours of life before it needs a major overhaul.