electric windlass

Alexis

Visit site
Hello there,

I have finally decided to go for a vertical electric windlass, with capstan. I'm looking at the 1000 to 1500W range (12V). Has anyone had good(bad experience with certain makes/models ? The boat is beeing fitting out for blue water cruising, hence the importance of the piece of kit.

Cheers.
Alexis

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I've got a Maxwell vertical chain + gypsy. It's never gone wrong, never failed to break the anchor out, and is quiet. Worldwise support is good - I emailed them in NZ, and two days later a servixe kit arrived from their UK agent (who I couldnt track down) - and there was no charge.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have purchased a Maxwell in the past two weeks. It looks to be a well engineered piece of kit and I am hopeful that it will be excellent for my boat.

I bought it from West Marine, ordered Monday arrived in Holland Friday. No VAT paid. Be careful with the gypsy size. The metric version does not seem to be offered in USA, unless I missed it.

Can you advise the contact details for the UK agent? Would be useful to know for future reference.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I'll see if I can find paperwork next time I'm on the boat (hopefully I filed in the maintenance paperwork). From memory they were in or around the Poole / Bournemouth area.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Also Maxwell vertical chain and windlass - no problems and would choose same again myself on that basis.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Gypsy size

Good point - I bought a new Lofrans recently for 10 mm chain. however my chain is 45 mm link lenght and the gypsy requires 50mm. According to E C Smith - there is no other 10mm gipsy available. - is this a ploy to make you buy there chain????? Luckily I had kept the gypsy from my old Lofrans - so fitted that.

So watch out.......

<hr width=100% size=1>

Shanty

Visit site
UK agents for Maxwell are:

Marine Components International Ltd.
21 Ventura Place
Upton Industrial Estate
Upton
Poole
Dorset
BH16 5SW

phone: 01202 624244

fax: 01202 624255

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Maxwell VWC 1200, handles 75 m 10 mm chain, 30 kg anchor and 12 tonne (full tanks, cruising trim) sailboat, 6 years old. Around here we mostly anchor in 20 - 25m water so gets a workout.

I am sure other quality makes are as good - the Maxwell is just what I have had long term experience with.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

SydneyTim

Visit site
I've got a winch from Australian yacht winches who also distribute in the UK. Very impressed with it and it's built like the proverbial brick ****house.

I put it up against Maxwell and the rest and it was just better value over here. As I understand it they are quite a bit cheaper than the competition in the UK despite the fact that in Oz the price difference is marginal. Apparently the winch companies can make super profits in the northern hemisphere as everyone is conditioned to big numbers.

I bought the vertical 1200 watt model and paid about A$2200 which is about 850 quid, for the winch the circuit breaker the foot switch and everything except the cables. Don't know how this compares but may be worth a look.

I have no affiliation to them other than that the boat I bought has six of their 10 year old sheet winches on board and they are all in perfect working order and good for another 20 years, so I thought I'd have a look at their anchor windlasses as well.

Have a look at http://www.arco-winches.com/british.html

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
Many thanks John,

From what I gather, you seem to think it's a trustworthy piece of kit, and have/will rely on it even in adverse conditions.

Chers,
Alexis

<hr width=100% size=1>