Electric winch conversion DIY

pandos

Visit site
I have a fair indication that I am going to have major surgery soon. This will interfere with sailing. An electric winch might be a good thing.

But the prices of what are fairly basic devices seem extortionate.

Obviosly there is the option of using a drill or impact driver or long winch handle or rachet handle.

I wonder has anyone managed to do a DIY electric a winch. (Not using a conversion kit)

Even with getting some bespoke bits made and finding a motor and gearbox it could not cost the kind of money being sought for off the shelf versions...or could it...

Any ideas/pointers

William_H

Visit site
I understand your dilemma. I would not however recommend the hand held winch aids is you still have to hold it to take torque reaction. Likew ise unless you can mount any electric drive to the deck you will end up holding it so taking forces.
The under deck drives seem to be the answer but as you say horrendously expensive. Perhaps you should simply try harder to get a crew. Or be satisfied with motoring.
ol'will

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I upgraded a winch from manual to electric using the lewmar inversion. Access to fit the motor in the cockpit locker was almost impossible. Running 75mm2 cables was also fun.
What size boat do you have? I need the e-winch for hoisting 60m2 main singlehanded on my 14m boat. Other than this, I don't use the e-winch.
Maybe look at reducing friction by swapping polyester sheets and halyards for thinner dyneema, adding quality batten cars on the main, and switching to a smaller headsail (preferably self tacking) to reduce the effort?

Stemar

Visit site
Would switching your rode to smaller, if higher grade, chain and rope simplify life? 10-20m of chain and all the rope you need would hold you as well as all heavy chain in most situations, and would be a lot cheaper than a conversion.

If you do go the conversion route, a battery close to the windlass would simplify the cabling, as the long wires would only need to carry charging current.

Bobc

Visit site
I've just had to replace 2 winches, and the additional cost of electric over manual with the Lewmar EVO winches made it a no-brainer. Significantly cheaper than other manufacrturers.

pandos

Visit site
There is a difference between holding something to enable torque to be applied and actually generating that torque continuously whilst bringing in a sail or hauling one up the mast. Anyone who ever used a torque gun to take off a wheel nut can attest to this. ( But of course another loose heavy tool in a cockpit is to be welcomed)

I am referring to a sheet winch, if I was talking about the anchor rode I would have said windlass, indeed its the relative cheapness of vertical windlasses that really demonstrates the rip off nature of the conversion kits.

Reducing friction will not be sufficient, and in any case there is very little friction in my current set up.

There is ample access for fitting a motor and for running cables, one winch position is only a few feet from my batteries.

A self tacking jib may be the solution and a rechrgeble torque gun (which I have) for raising the main.

But I'd really like to hear of someone who attempted to motorise a winch.

Rappey

Visit site
The adapter plate to fit an electric motor replaces part of the winch internals and gives a drive shaft for the motor /gearbox to connect to.
If you remove the adapter plate the winch will not work manually.
I can't see how any other electric motor could be fitted without the proper parts as it needs to be the right power/gearing or it may be underpowered ,too slow or too powerful and will break internals ?
A £1200 adapter plate can often be found on ebay for £450 and another £600 for motor/gearbox.
I bought an ex demo 46 with adapter plate already fitted , hence discovered I can't remove it for manual only and concluded I would have to go down the genuine parts only route if I were to motorised it
I certainly would not fancy using a cordless drill trying to turn the handle end of the winch as it has a much smaller motor and would probably not last long.

Neeves

Visit site
The other side of the coin.

We have Harken winches one of which is electric, for the fully battened 45m^2 main halyard - but we use it for other applications when the mood suits us - sheets, furling headsail (also 45m^2). If necessary we cross winch, so that we can use the electric. It was installed from new and the cat is now over 20 years old. It was really installed for my wife as only wimps use electric winches :) - but I soon succumbed. The electric motor has been faultless (the winch the same).

I don't recall how much extra it cost for the electric version of the winch - but over 20 years the cost must be peanuts.

I've never compared the specs of our windlass motor and the winch motor - but the winch motor is tiny and fits neatly and unobtrusively in a little box under the deck, below the winch. The windlass motor is much, much larger.

The electric winch motor has led a protected life, its actually located under the headlining in our aft cabin. The windlass motor was retired when we upgraded to smaller chain and bought a new windlass - but the windlass was very tired and motor exceptionally rusty (the cost of a new gypsy for an old motor made keeping the old windlass a no brainer - the new windlass is so much quicker)

We would not be without either, electric winch, nor windlass.

Jonathan

Lightwave395

Visit site
I bought a winchrite cordless electric winch handle, comparitively cheap compared to an electric winch. It works great at hauling up sails and occassionally anchors, which is really all I need it for currently, it works a treat and is cheap if you buy it off ebay as did I - £400 and virtually unused, they come up from time to time, last one sold a few weeks ago for £375.

Bobc

Visit site
I bought a winchrite cordless electric winch handle, comparitively cheap compared to an electric winch. It works great at hauling up sails and occassionally anchors, which is really all I need it for currently, it works a treat and is cheap if you buy it off ebay as did I - £400 and virtually unused, they come up from time to time, last one sold a few weeks ago for £375.
I found the Winchrite ok for furling the genoa and pulling the mainsheet in, but not man enough to raise the main or sheet the genoa in. But then it is a big barge of a boat. If the OP has anything sub-40ft, it would be the best solution.

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
I have a fair indication that I am going to have major surgery soon. This will interfere with sailing. An electric winch might be a good thing.

Obviosly there is the option of using a drill or impact driver or long winch handle or rachet handle.

I wonder has anyone managed to do a DIY electric a winch. (Not using a conversion kit)

Even with getting some bespoke bits made and finding a motor and gearbox it could not cost the kind of money being sought for off the shelf versions...or could it...

Any ideas/pointers

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have 2 electric sheet winches on a boat I an fitting out.

4 things come to mind

1) The motor size / specification needed to power the winch
2) The gearbox abs the connections between motor and gearbox
3) Connection between the gearbox and the connection to the winch with the ability to disconnect the power drive when winch handle drive id required
4) The way the winch motor power is controlled relays / contactor with reversing capability and overload. variable speed of motor is als a consideration in the setup.

On my current boat I have andersen winch and I have an andersen under winch motor and gearbox. this is a complicated setup with pancake motor and epicyclic gearbox with variable speed.

I don't have the andersen variable speed control so have not fitted it yet

I have been looking an a DIY way to motorise my andersen winches and sourcing the motor and gearbox drive but not too for due to other priorities

Whaup367

Visit site
Agree, potentially transformative.
Agree.... my boat came with them but the price of the things is astonishing.

I don't think an impact driver is a good idea... I understand they are likely to damage your winches. You need to be able to exert sustained pull, not just apply pulses of it.

Any ideas/pointers
In your shoes I think I'd experiment with the Winchrite or Ewincher first... it's an order-of-magnitude cheaper and use would inform any later decision. Sunk cost shouldn't be too bad.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of changing the boat to one with electric winches already installed. Sounds extreme but might be a viable solution, depending on your situation!

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
I am in the process of converting Lewmar Wavegrip 55 winches to electric. DIY , own design.

I am in the process of converting Lewmar Wavegrip 55 winches to electric. DIY , own design.
Would you please post details for info and comment. Want to post pics of the project but .

I don't think an impact driver is a good idea... I understand they are likely to damage your winches. You need to be able to exert sustained pull, not just apply pulses of it.

In your shoes I think I'd experiment with the Winchrite or Ewincher first... it's an order-of-magnitude cheaper and use would inform any later decision. Sunk cost shouldn't be too bad.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of changing the boat to one with electric winches already installed. Sounds extreme but might be a viable solution, depending on your situation!
Want to post pics but can’t.

pandos

Visit site

I got over the surgery quickly enough and was sailing solo by July. Just using sensible techniques and ordinary winches handles and loads of silicone on everything that could lead to friction.

Would still like to see a diy design for conversion.

Kiskagyuri

Visit site

Any ideas/pointers