Electric winch conversion DIY

14K478

Visit site
I use a Winchrite for the main halyard. Could use it for sheet winches but have never done so.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
Thanks for the info looks like a very good vender.

Would you please give us some info on the model of motor together with the power rating and speed.

Th gearbox looks like a motor mounted worm drive again couldyou indicate the model and the reduction ratio.

Suppliers close to me could also have a similar model of motor or gearbox from a local supplier
to save shipping
I don’t know the models of motor and gearbox.
It is a 24V 600W 1400RPM motor coupled to 1:26 gearbox. This should give 50RPM and 55Nm torque. You can use other combinations, with 3000RPM ( most common) motor.Remembet , you have to have a clutch mechanism for manual operation of the winch.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
"t is a 24V 600W 1400RPM motor coupled to 1:26 gearbox. This should give 50RPM and 55Nm torque. You can use other combinations, with 3000RPM ( most common) motor.Remember , you have to have a clutch mechanism for manual operation of the winch."

Thanks for the info I will investigate similar motor and gearboxes in the new year.

As far as a disconnect clutch design forme would be quite easy as I have been an mechanical engineer designer for many a year

I can also fabricate and have limited machine tools in my home workshop that that doesn't scare me at all

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
"t is a 24V 600W 1400RPM motor coupled to 1:26 gearbox. This should give 50RPM and 55Nm torque. You can use other combinations, with 3000RPM ( most common) motor.Remember , you have to have a clutch mechanism for manual operation of the winch."

Thanks for the info I will investigate similar motor and gearboxes in the new year.

As far as a disconnect clutch design forme would be quite easy as I have been an mechanical engineer designer for many a year
I can also fabricate and have limited machine tools in my home workshop that that doesn't scare me at Al
Great
I used a Mönninghoff tyoe 546 electro magnetic clutch.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I have an Erbauer battery drill with a max output of 120nm, it cost about £120 plus an adapter to fit the winch drive at about £30. The drill comes with a fairly long extension handle which makes holding it in place when winching easier. With the reversing button, you can use a both high and low ratios for the winch.
I looked at the Winchrite but this solution is less than half the cost of even the cheapest secondhand one I could find when I bought the drill.
It’s used primarily for hauling the main, although I can foresee it being used for the genoa sheets as time progress… Both the Admiral and I have found that it’s a simple cost effective solution. Battery life is good: it lasts about 5 or 6daysbefore needing a charge.
Link to the drill is here Erbauer ECDT18-Li-2 18V 2 x 5.0Ah Li-Ion EXT Brushless Cordless Combi Drill - Screwfix

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
Interesting

Would a simple dog clutch that would disconnect the motor/Gearbox drive when/if a manual winch handle is inserted into the winch handle drive square socket
It is possible, but involves lot of engineering. You have to drill a hole in the winch main shaft for a rod, and the winch has to have space under it to accommodate the coupling mechanism. I considered this option but deemed it too complicated. Both configurations have advantages. The disadvantage of a below deck electro clutch is the cost and the fact , the winch handle will turn if left in the winch and activated.

ean_p

Visit site
It is possible, but involves lot of engineering. You have to drill a hole in the winch main shaft for a rod, and the winch has to have space under it to accommodate the coupling mechanism. I considered this option but deemed it too complicated. Both configurations have advantages. The disadvantage of a below deck electro clutch is the cost and the fact , the winch handle will turn if left in the winch and activated.

Some very nice selection of equipment K. How in use do you plan to engage / disengage the clutch or is it permanently engaged with a set torque slip built in? If the latter then what level of torque please?

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
Some very nice selection of equipment K. How in use do you plan to engage / disengage the clutch or is it permanently engaged with a set torque slip built in? If the latter then what level of torque please?
The electro magnetic clutch is connected paralell to the motor. It will engage when the motor is energized, and disengage when not.

Kiskagyuri

Visit site
The electro magnetic clutch is connected paralell to the motor. It will engage when the motor is energized, and disengage when not.
The max working torque of the clutch is 50Nm and it will ratchet at aprox 100Nm. It is a tooth clitch, not friction.
This is factory set and can not be changed.

photon

Visit site
I was afflicted with serious and fortunately temporary inflammatory arthritis which seriously diminished my winching power.

On our Bavaria 44 I kitted us out with a cordless Makita 36V angle-drive drill ( DDA 460ZK) and a winch adaptor bit. This would power a normal weight human up the mast, surprised many in our boatyard when we ran this trick, and served to reef, hoist and trim a fully battened mainsail and genoa.

The only downside was the stress-failure of the winch adaptor bit which was described by a metallurgist friend as the " perfect example of the wrong material for the job".

The winch adaptor has now been fitted to a 1/4" drive socket and the whole works with ease and controllable speed in both directions of rotation. I would recommend if you want power and ease of use..

As I have now much improved health I would be happy to sell this if anyone is interested. I feel this is a more simple and cost effective solution to winch driving than endless retro-fitting of power winches.

Attachments

• DDA460ZK_5__12133.jpg
    DDA460ZK_5__12133.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 13