East IOW Anchorage for Vomiting Crew

frlrubett

Visit site
This saturday I am looking for an anchorage to shelter the SW. I have a crew member on board who has never been sick but is always nervous about it. I have only anchored at Bembridge before and do not remember any rolling and slept through the night (gin).

I draw 1.5m, confident in that wind to come close to shore. Everyone says the anchorages are rolly on the East side but how bad does the swell wrap around ?

Any recomendations?

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
Why specifically Bembridge? Why not Priory Bay?

We have anchored there countless times both as a lunch stop and overnight.

Given suitable conditions, the worst aggravation (if we discount jet skis et al) is the seemingly endless procession of tankers, container ships, ferries, warships plus the pilot boats who throw up enough wash to clink our wine bottles together.

Thats annoying 😳😊

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Priory Bay can be very rolly and sickness inducing, other times it can be a pussycat.
I keep intending to try Whitecliff Bay but have never got round to it.
As per Fairweather Dave plus Osborne Bay which doesn't seem to get very rolly.

frlrubett

Visit site
Why specifically Bembridge? Why not Priory Bay?

We have anchored there countless times both as a lunch stop and overnight.

Given suitable conditions, the worst aggravation (if we discount jet skis et al) is the seemingly endless procession of tankers, container ships, ferries, warships plus the pilot boats who throw up enough wash to clink our wine bottles together.

Thats annoying 😳😊

I have only been to the Isle of white once, so only anchored there once. Will look at priory.

ashtead

Visit site
If you venture across the Solent to Chi harbour east head isn’t that far which might be more sheltered. You could of course just go to Bembridge marina or wotton creek

ashtead

Visit site
The berths at Folly great for a shallow draft- I first sailed a centaur from there-I don’t know how good the food is at the Folly nowadays but there was once a water taxi down to east cowes where the lifeboat inn is fine if busy at times. In days of yore Alan was the harbourmaster who was quite a character but great help for Folly bertholders.

Elessar

Visit site
This saturday I am looking for an anchorage to shelter the SW. I have a crew member on board who has never been sick but is always nervous about it. I have only anchored at Bembridge before and do not remember any rolling and slept through the night (gin).

I draw 1.5m, confident in that wind to come close to shore. Everyone says the anchorages are rolly on the East side but how bad does the swell wrap around ?

Any recomendations?
Osbourne get ship wash. All other bays mentioned can be rolly at times. Sometimes for seemingly no reason. Other times fine.
To guarantee flat then east head or elsewhere in chi harbour, Newtown creek, the bottom of beauliau river or key haven. I have anchored in the medina but touched bottom you need to be careful.