Dyneema Scissors

ip485

Visit site
No connection but I have one or two from here;

Blenheim Forge

Beautiful knives, the special editions usually sell out in 10 minutes or less.

Stainless clad are great for the boat.

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Last edited:

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Since this thread has very usefully drifted from dyneema scissors I shall not apologise for enquiring as to whether you can recommend a decent cordless stick mixer? If not, I shall be having to use my cordless drill with the base of a mains mixer.

I bought a non-cordless Cuisinart 46201 and use it off the inverter.
It is a 300w model. I was looking for anything on special with a bit of grunt rather than focussing on the attachments. It gets a fair workout and has been going strong for about 4 years now.

SWL

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site

Bad news. Amazon just emailed me to say that my order is cancelled, that they will refund me when they get round to it, and I am welcome to buy the same thing elsewhere on their website.

No explanation offered.

So I searched and the very same thing was still for sale by the same people. So I ordered it again...

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Bad news. Amazon just emailed me to say that my order is cancelled, that they will refund me when they get round to it, and I am welcome to buy the same thing elsewhere on their website.

No explanation offered.

So I searched and the very same thing was still for sale by the same people. So I ordered it again...

The Amazon supplier you posted a link to is the same one I used without any issues.
Shortly after my order arrived though, the scissors were listed as “Unavailable” for some time.

SWL

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Thanks. Fingers crossed but - just in case - what would be your second recommendation?

Curiosity drove me to buy 5 pairs when I was “researching” last year.

I guessed (wrongly) that anything labelled for optic fibre use (kevlar sheathed) or spectra line for fishing would be suitable for cutting dyneema. This was not the case. All pairs with a low HRC could at a pinch be used (sometimes a few cutting motions were needed under tension), but it was dramatically different using the ones from Nusharp with blades with an HRC of 60-62. Maybe the size of the microserrations made a difference as well.

So if not buying the overpriced D-Splicer scissors, I would personally not stray from one of the Nusharp models with the higher Rockwell hardness. I have no experience with others, so can’t comment. Nusharp also make some near identical looking ones with lower hardness blades, so don’t be mislead by appearance. There are also inferior copies of the Nusharp on offer.

RS Pro scissors are definitely made by Nusharp (confirmed by email) so that would be a safe choice. The models are:
RS PRO 159 mm Kevlar Scissors (RS 835-2719)
RS PRO 203 mm Kevlar Scissors (RS 835-2700)
RS PRO 5.5 Scissors (RS 487-135)

The latter are the Nusharp 956 model, which is the same as the 956 520, but with a different plastic used in the handle.
At around £20 I think they are reasonable value for an excellent product.

Otherwise I would email Nusharp and ask for other suppliers in the UK or EU. They impressively responded to my emails within a couple of hours.

By the way, none of my “trial pairs” went to waste, as my husband gladly pinched a couple for the workshop. One pair has also been extremely useful in the galley. The fishing ones were returned as they were very flimsy (the weight was not as advertised) and useless.

SWL

Last edited:

Kukri

Visit site

I guessed (wrongly) that anything labelled for optic fibre use (kevlar sheathed) or spectra line for fishing would be suitable for cutting dyneema. This was not the case. All pairs with a low HRC could at a pinch be used (sometimes a few cutting motions were needed under tension), but it was dramatically different using the ones from Nusharp with blades with an HRC of 60-62. Maybe the size of the microserrations made a difference as well.

So if not buying the overpriced D-Splicer scissors, I would personally not stray from one of the Nusharp models with the higher Rockwell hardness. They also make some near identical looking ones with lower hardness blades, so don’t be mislead by appearance.

RS Pro scissors are definitely made by Nusharp (confirmed by email) so that would be a safe choice. The models are:

The latter are the Nusharp 956 model, which is the same as the 956 520, but with a different plastic used in the handle.

Otherwise I would email Nusharp and ask for other suppliers in the UK or EU. They impressively responded to my emails within a couple of hours.

By the way, none of my “trial pairs” went to waste, as my husband gladly pinched a couple for the workshop. One pair has also been extremely useful in the galley. The fishing ones were returned as they were very flimsy (the weight was not as advertised) and useless.

SWL

Thank you very much!

sarabande

Visit site

No explanation offered.

Amazon clearly has you down as being aged Under 18.....

Zing

Visit site

So if not buying the overpriced D-Splicer scissors, I would personally not stray from one of the Nusharp models with the higher Rockwell hardness. I have no experience with others, so can’t comment. Nusharp also make some near identical looking ones with lower hardness blades, so don’t be mislead by appearance. There are also inferior copies of the Nusharp on offer.

SWL
I ordered the RS Pro 5.5. On back order until Mar 24. No rush for me in lockdown though.

There are so many ’Chinese’. Copies on Amazon and FleaBay that I think it is worth paying a little extra from RS to be sure you get a pucker, non counterfeit product and thanks to SWL‘s research we know it’s not a knock-off.

Kukri

Visit site
I re-ordered and Amazon tell me that it “has been shipped” and will arrive on the 15th of March.

Meanwhile, my gorgeous Zwilling & Henckels Chinese chef’s knife has arrived. Philip Pullman would recognise a subtle knife, I think. It probably cuts Dyneema, but I’m not going to find out, as it was accompanied by instructions not to use it on meat - as if anyone would! That’s what the cleaver, on the left, is for!

80A427A1-1942-4474-ACF2-6BA0A7B88C6F.jpeg

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
I re-ordered and Amazon tell me that it “has been shipped” and will arrive on the 15th of March.

Meanwhile, my gorgeous Zwilling & Henckels Chinese chef’s knife has arrived. Philip Pullman would recognise a subtle knife, I think. It probably cuts Dyneema, but I’m not going to find out, as it was accompanied by instructions not to use it on meat - as if anyone would! That’s what the cleaver, on the left, is for!

View attachment 110407

You’ll need to reinforce your benchtop now :).

SWL

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

You loved the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ? Now at your nearest cinema "The Zwilling Cleaver Massacre", featuring M.Kukri adventures with his new knife :D

Andy61

Visit site
Getting back to scissors, Screwfix have some excellent electricians scissors for £14.99 code 96347 brand CK. They are 140mm long. I would post a photo but they are all too large - meaning file size and I can't get round that. Andy

KompetentKrew

Visit site

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site

These appear to be one of the Nusharp copies.

There are lots of giveaways if you look closely. For example:
- The centre bolt is not the same.
- The moulding on the handles is slightly different (there are two indented sections and the black does not extend as close to the blades)

The notch is also not the same as any of the Nusharp models with high carbon blades.

They are simply listed as “stainless steel”, not high carbon. They may look similar, but I doubt they would cut dyneema cleanly with ease.

SWL

The CK Electrician’s scissors and the Nusharp 956 520 models side by side:

Attachments

• D2BF4B91-9DC3-4576-8640-0F52C4937A5D.jpeg
    D2BF4B91-9DC3-4576-8640-0F52C4937A5D.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1BF0FE27-F13A-4040-909D-B3C96D5DF0A3.jpeg
    1BF0FE27-F13A-4040-909D-B3C96D5DF0A3.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Kukri

Visit site
These appear to be one of the Nusharp copies.

There are lots of giveaways if you look closely. For example:
- The centre bolt is not the same.
- The moulding on the handles is slightly different (there are two indented sections and the black does not extend as close to the blades)

The notch is also not the same as any of the Nusharp models with high carbon blades.

They are simply listed as “stainless steel”, not high carbon. They may look similar, but I douby they would cut dyneema cleanly with ease.

SWL

The CK Electrician’s scissors and the Nusharp 956 520 models side by side:

What we are seeing here is the very common practice, in Chinese manufacturing, of copying a design using cheaper materials and methods. In this case, as in many others, a Taiwanese or Japanese manufacturer is seen as “fair game”, and we are very lucky that @Seaworthy Lass has taken the time and trouble to do the research properly.