Duty on red diesel for liveaboards

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Anyone know if the pending abolition of the low duty payable on red diesel for pleasure craft is also going to apply to liveaboards? That will seriously impact on my heating costs!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

rickp

Visit site
I do not believe it affects the price of heating oil (and possibly fuel used for electricity generation) - but there are some issues if we do lose the derogation. Firstly - you'll need separate tanks for your propulsion fuel and heating fuel. Secondly, it may be harder to get heating fuel if the marinas and boatyards move to only sell whatver is needed for propulsion.

These problems form part of the case made by the Government for extending the derogation.

Rick

charles_reed

Visit site
Of course

the UK is/was unique in, in the EU, allowing leisure boaters to purchase commercial diesel.

Actually, last time I checked, you could get red diesel in Belgium and green (trust the Irish) in the Republic of Ireland, both duty-free.

Diesel engine run reasonably, if a little dry, on 23degree kerosene, which is even cheaper than red diesel.

I am, of course, not suggesting you defraud HMG.

It was a Labour Cabinet Minister who announced that, in her opinion "It was the duty of the citizen to avoid taxes, if possible".
Because they'll only waste it.

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Re: Of course

But on a liveaboard on the non-tidal Thames, propulsion is an essential requirement - if only to visit the pump out or take on more diesel for their heating systems. Many liveaboards only ever leave their moorings for that purpose.

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Thanks for the input Rick, apologies for not acknowledging your post earlier - time constraints. Very valid point re availability should red diesel be outlawed. I'm thinking it may be possible to link up my two diesel tanks separately - one for engines (significantly reducing range of course) and one for heating. Should be possible to swap them back for extended cruising if need be. Wotcherfink?

rickp

Visit site
No worries - didn't mean to start the flame fest that occured /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif My comment about multiple posts was just meant to guide - and not be the forum police, honest...

If you have two tanks, then I think you could do something as you suggest. The problem will be availability and convincing someone that you're not filling your propulsion tank with red. Hopefully your supplier will leave that up to you and not act as an unofficial HMRC inspector! This was why the Government included it in their request to renew the extension - because no derogation leads to such a mess for liveaboards /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It sounds like you should get your letter off to your MEP sharpish - as you have some very valid concerns...

Rick

Cliveshep

Visit site
Charles Reed -

"I am, of course, not suggesting you defraud HMG."

Why not?

Boating is/was our last great freedom, away from over-taxed life in the car (and everywhere else for that matter).

Can you see lock-keepers acting as diesel dippers? Doesn't Brown already steal/waste enough of our income? S*d 'em!

How about getting central heating tank, get it filled at home @ 35.1p/litre, take a few 5galls down every time you go afloat/potter aboard. It's an old tradition with the British salts, started off with tea, tobacco and brandy kegs so the history books tell us.

Nowadays of course we all go off to France or Belgium but observe the same principles.

Does heating oil damage engines? Any one know the answer to that one?

So far as I am aware, there is no proposed legislation to enforce the use of marina supplied diesel for boats, at present, if it burns ok in your engine you can use red diesel bought anywhere as it is duty paid anyway - any thoughts/correc tions? Will it be illegal to use heating oil?