Droning it

gaylord694

Visit site
I was just wondering what all the owners preferences were towards the make of drones they were using as I'm going be spending a lot of time in the Tamar and Dartmouth area and would really like to be able get some quality aerial footage of the area and it's boats etc

Refueler

Visit site
Take note that there are strict rules about overflying people / animals / buildings etc.

The reputable brands ? Basically DJI leads the field ... but not cheap.

Forget about those cheap 'drones' and by cheap I am talking about 300 quid and lower !! not just the 50 quid ones.

As example DJI has fully gimballed stabilised camera ... full GPS based Return to Home ... stable hover ... follow me ...

I use an older Phantom 3 Pro ... which has range of over 2km ... can be programmed to fly autonomously or my commands.

But I have to have Operators Licence as its over 250gr etc. etc.

mickywillis

Visit site
I've got the DJI Mini 4 Pro. Great bit of kit, but a grands worth, easily destroyed if it falls in the drink. Bought as a Christmas present, I'm slowly getting more confident in use. As its less than 250gms, you need Flyer ID and and Operator ID, easily obtained (online training) and pay for the Operator ID, which needs to be marked on the drone. As Refueler says, be careful where you fly (DJI restricts you if in a no fly zone, by very clever software) Limits on height and only visual sight distance, but still gives good shots and dramatic video footage.

lustyd

Visit site
I use an older Phantom 3 Pro ... which has range of over 2km ... can be programmed to fly autonomously or my commands
The range is almost irrelevant since it has to be line of sight from operator in the UK and pretty sure you have to be in control unless you have a commercial licence (as opposed to the operators licence most of us have).
Also check where you can fly, from our trip we found almost nowhere we could actually fly legally/easily due to Navy/MOD/airstrips etc. near all the anchorages. I seem to recall Plymouth was a no, although you can request permission and Dartmouth had restrictions too.

wonkywinch

Visit site
DJI restricts you if in a no fly zone, by very clever software) Limits on height and only visual sight distance, but still gives good shots and dramatic video footage.
DJI removed most of it's UK restricted zones in January. More onus now on the operator.

Some HM, eg Hamble, impose restrictions on flying.

https://www.heliguy.com/blogs/posts/dji-removes-majority-of-its-drone-geofencing-restrictions

My first DJI crashed into one of Agatha Christie's trees overlooking the Dart at Dittisham as I flew it a tad too low trying to get a shot of our boat moored there.

Binnacle

Visit site

gaylord694

Visit site
I've invested in a high end CCTV long range recording system on top of the mast so I can get lots of footage recorded from that so I might leave the drone until I've looked into all the possibilities

Binnacle

Visit site
I don't wish to rain on your parade, but the use of CCTV systems has a whole slew of rules as well.

Guidance on the use of domestic CCTV

It's entirely reasonable that people using boats for recreational purposes, or enjoying shoreside homes can expect that their activities are not recorded by a high-end long-range CCTV system. There's a significant difference between a hand held smartphone or camera, and the intrusive deployment of a masthead CCTV as you have described your intended use.

Refueler

Visit site
The range is almost irrelevant since it has to be line of sight from operator in the UK and pretty sure you have to be in control unless you have a commercial licence (as opposed to the operators licence most of us have).
Also check where you can fly, from our trip we found almost nowhere we could actually fly legally/easily due to Navy/MOD/airstrips etc. near all the anchorages. I seem to recall Plymouth was a no, although you can request permission and Dartmouth had restrictions too.

My post was not giving the legal limits ... I'm a member of the Advisory body to Latvian CAA .... so well aware of the LoS / 400ft etc etc.

Range actually is not irrelevant ... in use - the short range WiFi / BT / IR toys can become uncontrollable very close to operator ...

The DJI as I have - designed with long range - give security of control because of that.

I cannot fly at home anymore - the local airport (hardly ever used) puts my house and river within the RED zone radius ...... if I try to fly my DJI - the warning comes up on screen.

lustyd

Visit site
My post was not giving the legal limits
Was mostly replying for the benefit of the OP who probably didn't know. If they thought range would be an advantage they may go off and buy based on specs and end up with something a bit unnecessary. Agree with others the mini is probably the best bet.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Another owner of a DJI Mini 4 pro ... fantastic little drone, but any of the minis will do.

Go sub 250g if you can as flying drones really pi$$es some people off, and as it currently stands anything above 250g will be required to broadcast it's position and the position of the operator once the final implementation dates for Remote ID are announced. This may change to include 250g drones but currently it looks like they will be exempt from Remote ID requirements.

Anyone with the Drone Scanner app on their phone can display the drone and drone pilot location in the app if the drone is subject to the RID requirements.

Light reading for the U.K. can be found here

Drones | Civil Aviation Authority (already linked above too)

... mentions everything from pilot registration, insurance, and all the rules to be able to fly legally in the U.K.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
any of the minis will do
Any of the smaller DJIs I'd say, I have the original Air and it's fantastic and most of the additional features in newer ones unnecessary.

If buying under 250g I'd still recommend getting the tickets even though they are optional. If anything every happens it's easier to defend yourself by showing you've done the training and registered the drone fully. While transmission of position might be optional, would you like to explain why you chose not to do so? Appearing responsible gets you quite far in some arenas and flying is one of them (as is boating!).

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Any of the smaller DJIs I'd say, I have the original Air and it's fantastic and most of the additional features in newer ones unnecessary.

If buying under 250g I'd still recommend getting the tickets even though they are optional. If anything every happens it's easier to defend yourself by showing you've done the training and registered the drone fully. While transmission of position might be optional, would you like to explain why you chose not to do so? Appearing responsible gets you quite far in some arenas and flying is one of them (as is boating!).
I agree completely, my preference for sub 250g is purely that they are less restricted in where they can fly, and they escape the proposed RID laws at the moment.

ash2020

Visit site
In a built up area like Dartmouth there wouldn't be many places you could fly with a Mavic, Air or any drone over 250 grams takeoff weight. Imagine a 100 metre cylinder around any people, boats, buildings etc. from the ground up to the legal height limit, which is 400 feet. You cannot fly in that cylinder. So that limits you to a Mini 2, 3 or 4 if you're thinking dji. You can still get a Mini 2 or 3 for reasonable money and they really are good.
This explains the rules. https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

steveeasy

Visit site
Crikey. I’ll not be going nr Dartmouth this summer then. Do all boat owners have to film themselves while pottering around Dartmouth. How amusing.
Steveeasy

lustyd

Visit site
In a built up area like Dartmouth there wouldn't be many places you could fly with a Mavic, Air or any drone over 250 grams takeoff weight. Imagine a 100 metre cylinder around any people, boats, buildings etc. from the ground up to the legal height limit, which is 400 feet. You cannot fly in that cylinder. So that limits you to a Mini 2, 3 or 4 if you're thinking dji. You can still get a Mini 2 or 3 for reasonable money and they really are good.
This explains the rules. https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly
When we were there there were plenty of places like that. Even at anchor other boats were mostly 50m away (I use RADAR to measure while anchoring). The river is actually very quiet up around the corner. What you do need to remember is that sub 250g you don't become exempt, it's just less strict. If you injure someone or their property you'd still face the consequences and the rules are written to reflect that.
The funny thing is that before these rules were drafted, NATS and friends did some testing and at the time the lighter drones were found to cause more damage to aircraft due to the use of titanium which would do quite a bit of damage to the engine and fuselage. The heavier plastic stuff would just get torn to pieces.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Crikey. I’ll not be going nr Dartmouth this summer then. Do all boat owners have to film themselves while pottering around Dartmouth. How amusing.
Steveeasy
Depends on the drone owner, I tend to take stills and panoramas as I have always had a thing for stills photography, and the perspective from a drone is something you simply can't get without using a light aircraft, helicopter, or hot air baloon ...

This is my home town taken with my old DJI Mini 2 ...

1709546004204.png