Drink drive limit on boats in uk

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Its a situation that was solved many years ago - but the wannabees always want something specific to their cause. If they got their way and specific Boating / Drink laws were enacted - they'd probably then want to classify the boats for limits !!

For many years you could be prosecuted for drunk in charge of Horse / Bicycle / Boat / Lawn Mower in fact literally anything - if it was shown that you were a hazard or caused / cause for concern.
When I was very young (back in about 1960) we sailed on the River Humber. There was a story doing the rounds that the master of a tug boat in Hull docks got very drunk, got on board and started a joy ride in the tug. It ended with him ramming the dock gates and doing significant damage. The punch-line was that he was prosecuted for being Drunk in Charge of a Tug Boat. I have no idea whether it actually happened - it was an old story in 1960ish - but the existence of the story backs up @Refueler's recollection of "Drunk in charge" being used more widely than it is now.

Refueler

Visit site
When I was very young (back in about 1960) we sailed on the River Humber. There was a story doing the rounds that the master of a tug boat in Hull docks got very drunk, got on board and started a joy ride in the tug. It ended with him ramming the dock gates and doing significant damage. The punch-line was that he was prosecuted for being Drunk in Charge of a Tug Boat. I have no idea whether it actually happened - it was an old story in 1960ish - but the existence of the story backs up @Refueler's recollection of "Drunk in charge" being used more widely than it is now.

A certain famous Pier ... comes to mind as well ...

Refueler

Visit site
Here in West Oz there are definite moves towards drink driving on water. https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/drugsandalcohol.asp
This after several deaths from obvious dangerous driving of small mobo with alcohol a factor. (Collisions) I don't know how they will determine who is in charge. Obvious for a small mobo (person at the wheel) but the requirement for a Recreational Skipper's Ticket means only those with RST can be in charge. (if not the owner)
In reality it would be hard to say if owner is on board, he is not in charge. ol'will

Here in Latvia - they are tough on it ... we've had Politicians joyriding boats arrested !

My situation above was while my boat was UK Registered - so my Nephew was not obliged to have Lat licence .. and CEVNI was a new thing for them - so very few knew about that.

shanemax

Visit site
I always thought there was a seven/seven rule. Over 7 meters in length or capable of 7 knots you can be breathalysed ????.

scozzy

Visit site
few finer things in life surely than on the hook/mooring having your feet up and a beer in the cockpit of your boat with friends watching the sunset.Few scarier thoughts than a sudden wind change and trying to stick in a reef with a panicked half pissed crew if you've joined in!! my boat always has refreshments available don't get me wrong but its beyond me why anyone wants to take on the big blue boozing

JayDomK

Visit site
I think I saw the argument here of, "What if, you've had a hard days sailing, and you tie-up on a pontoon/anchor, and you crack open a few grogs to unwind. The situation then changes for whatever reason, so that you feel that there's a situation which requires you moving your boat, or your anchor's dragging; but you've had a hard evening of relaxation.....?". Move and be prosecuted, or stay and drag into danger, requiring rescue yourself?
The main thing is that the situation is not provoked by grog and its excessive amount :) Maybe in a sober state you wouldn't see the danger?
Personally, I prefer sobriety.

Bouba

Visit site
There is enough confusion when it comes to motor homes....for example (last I looked it up) can you have open bottles of alcohol in your RV ?...when parked up for the night can you drink ?....you cannot do these things in a car...and there is no exemption for a motor home....it is up to the individual police officer to make up the law when they see fit or the fancy takes them. If a no drink and drive law is enforced on boats then the same problem occurs...when does it stop being a mode of transport and become your residence

Momac

Visit site
Other than maybe a beer or a glass of wine with a meal its best to leave the drinking unto after the boat is safely moored up for the night.

Its not about whether you have had a drink or not but its about what you do when you have had a drink.
I believe there have been cases where accidents have occurred and caused damage , injury , call out of emergency services and even death. In these cases alcohol has been involved resulting in poor judgement and inappropriate actions.
It has been the inappropriate behaviour / lack of judgement that has been the subject of prosecutions.
Quite rightly It hasn't gone well for skipper of the boat in those cases.

The Q

Visit site
People in the UK have been done for drunk in charge of a motor vehicle even when found asleep in the back seat of a car, in the pub car park.

On the broads if you brought in tight drink driving rules it would kill the tourist industry, and many private motorboat owners be prosecuted.

There are no figures for the level of alcohol permitted on the broads, but you can be done under Byelaw 83
"A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel."

So many of us know three pints would likely put us over the car driving limit, but not make us incapable of controlling or mooring our motor boat.

The minimum age for being in charge of the helm on the broads ( motor or sail) is Age 8, how else do we teach the oppie sailors.
There are many juniors in our sailing club I'd trust more at the helm of a motor or sailing boat more than a summer sober tourist..

Of course, None of the above applies to commercial boats , that's a different set of regulations.

Helidan

Visit site
I believe Milford Haven Port Authority has successfully prosecuted where excessive alcohol consumption has resulted in dangerous navigation.

lustyd

Visit site
So many of us know three pints would likely put us over the car driving limit, but not make us incapable of controlling or mooring our motor boat.
It doesn't really matter what you think. In a court they'd reference the road law as something comparable as a measure of how much is considered too much. It's not applicable directly, but given the woolly wording they'd ask if you thought it reasonable that road drinking laws are suitable - you either say yes or you show that you think road laws are unreasonable, making yourself look unreasonable.
The woolly wording does mean that you're not likely to end up in court since it's there for times when things go wrong. If you crash your boat you may be breathalysed at which point your argument of "I could park my boat after three pints" is moot because you'd have had a crash.
Few scarier thoughts than a sudden wind change and trying to stick in a reef with a panicked half pissed crew
I think anyone drinking that much underway is courting disaster, albeit usually one that only affects them. I don't think a beer on passage is unacceptable, but several beers is too much. I prefer none to one on passage as I don't like beer enough to drink in small quantities! At anchor I can't imagine being so drunk that I couldn't re-anchor in an emergency. It's not like a road where you have to stay in a small lane with traffic coming at you - there's an enormous amount of space in most anchorages and a dragging anchor would have an immediate sobering effect. Depends on the anchorage, of course. East Head with a strong spring tide in the dark with a full anchorage would be different, but then I'd park somewhere else anyway 😂

lustyd

Visit site
I believe Milford Haven Port Authority has successfully prosecuted where excessive alcohol consumption has resulted in dangerous navigation.
But they probably prosecuted for dangerous navigation where alcohol was a factor. That's not the same as prosecuting for being drunk in charge of a boat where nothing happened at all. And I think that's why the law is the way it is, we do have the means to prosecute already and more law won't improve the situation.

That said, I can certainly see speeding fines becoming more common as councils and harbours seek more revenue.

ylop

Visit site
But they probably prosecuted for dangerous navigation where alcohol was a factor. That's not the same as prosecuting for being drunk in charge of a boat where nothing happened at all. And I think that's why the law is the way it is, we do have the means to prosecute already and more law won't improve the situation.
100%
That said, I can certainly see speeding fines becoming more common as councils and harbours seek more revenue.
Fines will go to the treasury not the harbour/council.

fisherman

Visit site
With cars, drunk in charge is different from driving while drunk. One of my crew was asleep drunk in a layby, arrested. Duty solicitor told him say nothing. Twelve points, no loss of licence.

38mess

Visit site
I was told that Cardiff Harbour Authority operate a no alcohol policy for boats operating in the Bay. But I have never heard of it being implemented. The CHA did successfully prosecute a speeding powerboat a while back, he got a hefty fine. Thinking about it I seem to recall a paralytic yacht skipper getting towed by a harbour boat back to his moorings. I think he was fined

lustyd

Visit site
The harbour authority probably do but "boats operating" almost certainly means commercial. Your examples are also of occasions where people were prosecuted and also had been drinking rather than prosecuted for drinking.