Drink drive limit on boats in uk

Bouba

Visit site
I was told that Cardiff Harbour Authority operate a no alcohol policy for boats operating in the Bay. But I have never heard of it being implemented. The CHA did successfully prosecute a speeding powerboat a while back, he got a hefty fine. Thinking about it I seem to recall a paralytic yacht skipper getting towed by a harbour boat back to his moorings. I think he was fined
How do you tell the difference between the normal erratic handling by yotties and a paralytic yottie 🤷‍♂️🤔🤔

Refueler

Visit site

Refueler

Visit site
It doesn't really matter what you think. In a court they'd reference the road law as something comparable as a measure of how much is considered too much. It's not applicable directly, but given the woolly wording they'd ask if you thought it reasonable that road drinking laws are suitable - you either say yes or you show that you think road laws are unreasonable, making yourself look unreasonable.
The woolly wording does mean that you're not likely to end up in court since it's there for times when things go wrong. If you crash your boat you may be breathalysed at which point your argument of "I could park my boat after three pints" is moot because you'd have had a crash.

I think anyone drinking that much underway is courting disaster, albeit usually one that only affects them. I don't think a beer on passage is unacceptable, but several beers is too much. I prefer none to one on passage as I don't like beer enough to drink in small quantities! At anchor I can't imagine being so drunk that I couldn't re-anchor in an emergency. It's not like a road where you have to stay in a small lane with traffic coming at you - there's an enormous amount of space in most anchorages and a dragging anchor would have an immediate sobering effect. Depends on the anchorage, of course. East Head with a strong spring tide in the dark with a full anchorage would be different, but then I'd park somewhere else anyway 😂

In UK ... before 0% Alcohol became drinkable ... I used to buy the crap that came in from France / Belgium ... Blonde Biere ... low alcohol and in small bottles / cans ... you could drink a whole case and still be compos menti !! I nicknamed it 'Helming Beer'. It was purely a beverage and not so many consumed.
Now with much better 0% alcohol beer - that is what I put on board as well as the Guinness and Lager ... the alcohol stuff reserved for when moored and all quiet.

Refueler

Visit site
But they probably prosecuted for dangerous navigation where alcohol was a factor. That's not the same as prosecuting for being drunk in charge of a boat where nothing happened at all. And I think that's why the law is the way it is, we do have the means to prosecute already and more law won't improve the situation.

That said, I can certainly see speeding fines becoming more common as councils and harbours seek more revenue.

Jet Skis ???

Had a number of incidents with them in Solent that could have resulted in serious consequences .... one in particular outside Cowes - guy with girl on back did a sweeping turn too close to us - hit side of our boat - big wash of water over while wife was handing mainsail - she just managed to cling to the boom as it swung ! He then proceeded to annoy other boats similarly on way to Southsea slipway ..
Myself and others called CG advising them - who then called Police who met the Jetski idiot ... full description of the Jetski was given to make sure right one nabbed.
No idea what result was - but I can imagine Police were not so polite given the events we and other boats described - even to us and others offering to to stand with prosecuting him.

Tranona

Visit site
I always thought there was a seven/seven rule. Over 7 meters in length or capable of 7 knots you can be breathalysed ????.
No. There is no such law that allows random breathalysing, nor any rule such as you describe. There are many examples in this thread of action being taken against people under other laws or byelaws where drink is a factor, but the 2003 Act that is the primary legislation referred to earlier has never been implemented. The difficulty of writing a set of workable rules such as the one you have heard of, that were enforceable is one of the reasons.

Tranona

Visit site
Jet Skis ???

Had a number of incidents with them in Solent that could have resulted in serious consequences .... one in particular outside Cowes - guy with girl on back did a sweeping turn too close to us - hit side of our boat - big wash of water over while wife was handing mainsail - she just managed to cling to the boom as it swung ! He then proceeded to annoy other boats similarly on way to Southsea slipway ..
Myself and others called CG advising them - who then called Police who met the Jetski idiot ... full description of the Jetski was given to make sure right one nabbed.
No idea what result was - but I can imagine Police were not so polite given the events we and other boats described - even to us and others offering to to stand with prosecuting him.
Situation is much better now - at least in Poole where there are designated jetski areas and good policing by the Harbour Commissioners who have their own jetskis!

Refueler

Visit site
Situation is much better now - at least in Poole where there are designated jetski areas and good policing by the Harbour Commissioners who have their own jetskis!

Jetskis are fast becoming a problem on the river at rear of my house .... there is a speed limit of 8kts / minimal wake - due to many people in small boats fishing .. but the Jetski riders don't care ...
They only slow down when the River Patrol boat appears ...

I understand that the appeal of the Jetski is to go fast and have sweeping turns / hijinks etc. They are not exactly much fun pootling along. Riders don't like to be corralled into designated areas ..

Momac

Visit site
People in the UK have been done for drunk in charge of a motor vehicle even when found asleep in the back seat of a car, in the pub car park.

On the broads if you brought in tight drink driving rules it would kill the tourist industry, and many private motorboat owners be prosecuted.

There are no figures for the level of alcohol permitted on the broads, but you can be done under Byelaw 83
"A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel."

So many of us know three pints would likely put us over the car driving limit, but not make us incapable of controlling or mooring our motor boat.

The minimum age for being in charge of the helm on the broads ( motor or sail) is Age 8, how else do we teach the oppie sailors.
There are many juniors in our sailing club I'd trust more at the helm of a motor or sailing boat more than a summer sober tourist..

Of course, None of the above applies to commercial boats , that's a different set of regulations.
That's because the offence is drunk in charge and not drunk driving.
Drunk in charge of a moored boat would not work very well , I agree.

JayDomK

Visit site
It doesn't really matter what you think. In a court they'd reference the road law as something comparable as a measure of how much is considered too much. It's not applicable directly, but given the woolly wording they'd ask if you thought it reasonable that road drinking laws are suitable - you either say yes or you show that you think road laws are unreasonable, making yourself look unreasonable.
The woolly wording does mean that you're not likely to end up in court since it's there for times when things go wrong. If you crash your boat you may be breathalysed at which point your argument of "I could park my boat after three pints" is moot because you'd have had a crash.

I think anyone drinking that much underway is courting disaster, albeit usually one that only affects them. I don't think a beer on passage is unacceptable, but several beers is too much. I prefer none to one on passage as I don't like beer enough to drink in small quantities! At anchor I can't imagine being so drunk that I couldn't re-anchor in an emergency. It's not like a road where you have to stay in a small lane with traffic coming at you - there's an enormous amount of space in most anchorages and a dragging anchor would have an immediate sobering effect. Depends on the anchorage, of course. East Head with a strong spring tide in the dark with a full anchorage would be different, but then I'd park somewhere else anyway 😂
Quite often things only go wrong with drunk people. And the problem is, this isn't a game where you can boot up from a saved location. And it can also affect other people, their property, their boats. And if a drunk person wrecks someone's property, his drunkenness will be considered an aggravating factor.
I don't mind beer, but not while driving. Still, I prefer sobriety more.

DanTribe

Visit site
I was out in my son's rib on Brisbane River watching New Year fireworks. Police on PWCs were very busy breathalising the hundreds of anchored boats. I understand that losing your boat licence also can affect your driving licence.