Doogee rugged tablets?

PaulGS

Visit site
Thanks. Ordered one. Looks ideal for cockpit usage.
It'll likely be good. But for anyone else coming to this thread I reckon it'd be better to buy (what I believe is) the same basic model (T20S) and save £75, a portion of which could then be spent on a case.

dgadee

Visit site
It'll likely be good. But for anyone else coming to this thread I reckon it'd be better to buy (what I believe is) the same basic model (T20S) and save £75, a portion of which could then be spent on a case.
That's the same approach I used with the Lenovo tablets. Cheap and put them in a waterproof case (if needed). That may still be the best option, but I thought I would give the "rugged" type a go.

Refueler

Visit site

Go to Banggood and save a shit load of money and get better spec ...

All this 'rugged' ... 'waterproof ' ... etc at end of day is IMHO bull****

I have excellent tablets that cost far less .. still performing .....

Think of it like the smart phone you have in your pocket .... is that 'rugged .. waterproof; etc ???

dgadee

Visit site

Think of it like the smart phone you have in your pocket .... is that 'rugged .. waterproof; etc ???

The rugged bit - I am hoping = is so that you don't have to be so careful with the tablet. It is a bit of a nuisance trying to ensure that it doesn't slide off the seats ...

fredrussell

Visit site
Don’t know about rugged, but I’d guess nearly all smart phones these days are waterproof. That is to say, Apple haven’t made a non-waterproof phone for years, and all the phone manufacturers are in stiff competition with each other.

Knig

Visit site
I had a Doogee S60 lite rugged phone which spent 30 minutes in the harbour (about 2 mtrs) and came out all working OK. It spent a hard life being dropped and banged about on a farm but lasted 4/5 yrs before I changed it for a Doogee S97 pro just to get the thermal camera (which also works very well)

Refueler

Visit site
Don’t know about rugged, but I’d guess nearly all smart phones these days are waterproof. That is to say, Apple haven’t made a non-waterproof phone for years, and all the phone manufacturers are in stiff competition with each other.

I have new Samsung A34 and I can say without reservation - it is NOT waterproof ... it fell out of pocket few weeks ago and was in wet grass for an hour or so till I found it ...
Normally if I waylay phone - I call it with another ... that A34 was dead as a dodo ... took all day to dry it out and get working again.

The S8 before it - worst phone I have ever had - was same.

But my BB Z30 refuses to die !!

Aeolus

Visit site

My Ulefone phone is definitely rugged and is sold as such. It's been thrown across the room, dropped in shallow water and is definitely tougher than, for example, the various non-rugged phones that my grandchildren have that are forever suffering broken screens and water damage/destruction.

This thread prompted me to check and happily they now also sell rugged tablets which I shall probably buy when the time comes to replace the rugged Samsung Tab Active that I use for navigation, mounted in the cockpit.

fredrussell

Visit site
I have new Samsung A34 and I can say without reservation - it is NOT waterproof ...
From the web:

“The Samsung A34 has an IP rating of IP67. This means that it is dustproof and can withstand immersion in water up to a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes”

I’d return your phone if I were you!

Refueler

Visit site
From the web:

“The Samsung A34 has an IP rating of IP67. This means that it is dustproof and can withstand immersion in water up to a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes”

I’d return your phone if I were you!

The problem with it and other phones I know similarly affected - its the charging / usb port .. it has no closure.

I'm not only person I know to have had similar experience with the A34 ...

Its crazy - I have LED light rings for my dogs - two are black and cannot be seen at night - the rings are USB charged ... and have little rubber tabs to close the usb port. Its a small item that would cure the phones problem ... and when you think the rings only cost 10 euro each - unlike the phones crazy price !!

pandos

Visit site
My Ulefone phone is definitely rugged and is sold as such. It's been thrown across the room, dropped in shallow water and is definitely tougher than, for example, the various non-rugged phones that my grandchildren have that are forever suffering broken screens and water damage/destruction.

This thread prompted me to check and happily they now also sell rugged tablets which I shall probably buy when the time comes to replace the rugged Samsung Tab Active that I use for navigation, mounted in the cockpit.
I also have an Ullefone which has a mega battery and is waterproof, As I have dropped it onto rough concrete face down and stood on it on more than one occasion I reckon it is as tough as the makers claim.

My kids 27 & 29, have the latest apple yokes and think my brick is too big too heavy too slow...not enough things in the camera....I consider these all to be endorsements...

dgadee

Visit site
R10 tablet arrived. Heavier than the Lenovo but I suppose that's to be expected with the rugged attribute. There is a white pen thingy in the box of which I have no idea the purpose. There is also a strap but I can't see how to fit it (if I wanted to). It has reasonable sound but not hifi (not much bass). Image is sharp.

VMH charts put on with Marine Navigator. About £24 all in. Works well with a good clear screen. Haven't had it out in the sun yet. No sun till today and I was at the club moorings.