Don't buy this plotter/DSC VHF on ebay - it's not legal in UK

Heckler

Visit site
Re: Don\'t buy this plotter/DSC VHF on ebay - it\'s not legal in UK

hee hee hee!!
man after my own heart! in fact i have always asked the question, why do we get bent out of shape over VAT invoices going back years, same thing applies, france, tatty bit of paper with dealers name on, VAT invoice, is monsuier douane going to get in touch with the C&E to see if it is a genuine invoice, I think not, anybody in business who deals with VAT especially going back to the late 80s with no computerised records knows that the chance of verifying an invoice is all but impossible.
Stu

stu

Bilgediver

Visit site

Does the chart plotter work? Does the radio work on ch16 and 67?, if so wot's the problem.

The americans use the vhf frequencies in a different way.
They use the frequencies 20 to 28 as simplex where we use them as duplex and this also applies to other channels. I Believe that as 67 is a chat channel the set defaults to 1 watt so not ideal in the uk...

Having said the above it is usual for most american sets to have a menu choice of US or INTERNATIONAL and so if this set can be switched to international you might not know the difference however it might not be CE approved ans also it might not be Ofcom aproved so don t tell us if you buy one and you might get a PM frpom Jon Brooks saying not to bother him if it goes wonky.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

A bonus of the US/International switch is that channel 0 is available on US. Using that enables earwigging on Coastguard/lifeboat/helicopter transmissions. Is that what makes it illegal?

pvb

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
A bonus of the US/International switch is that channel 0 is available on US. Using that enables earwigging on Coastguard/lifeboat/helicopter transmissions. Is that what makes it illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]No, because Channel 0 isn't in the US channel set!

pvb

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
The americans use the vhf frequencies in a different way.
They use the frequencies 20 to 28 as simplex where we use them as duplex and this also applies to other channels. I Believe that as 67 is a chat channel the set defaults to 1 watt so not ideal in the uk...

[/ QUOTE ]'Fraid not. The US channels 24 to 28 are duplex, just like the International channels. The CPV350 has full International, US and Canadian channels. When set to US channels, 67 is low-power. When set to International channels, 67 is normal power.

RestlessL

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
The CPV350 has full International, US and Canadian channels.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Ch37 is a UK channel, and not in the International set. It should be programmed into any UK sourced set, and is one of those channels which you won't miss until you need it.

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com

[ QUOTE ]
What law is it breaking if it's not legal in the UK?

at £99 who cares if it goes wrong....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but with 4 days to go to price could end up 3 or 4 time higher than the current bid of £99.
Most things tend to increase by leaps and bounds just before the finish.

Rabbie

Visit site

You tell 'em Stu! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif 'Hom dooly la' - can you translate into Scots please?

pvb

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
But Ch37 is a UK channel, and not in the International set. It should be programmed into any UK sourced set, and is one of those channels which you won't miss until you need it.

[/ QUOTE ]I think you mean channel 37A, sometimes called M1. Most marinas which used it also use channel 80. It's still used by some clubs for events.

RestlessL

Visit site

According to my Ofcom licence it is called channel M (157.850 MHz). This, and M2 (161.425 MHz) should be programmed into any UK sourced set. M usually shows up as 37 on most new radios, M2 could be anything (e.g P1).

It is mainly used by yacht clubs, but an increasing number of marinas seem to be taking it on as a simplex alternative to 80, which is duplex.

pvb

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
It is mainly used by yacht clubs, but an increasing number of marinas seem to be taking it on as a simplex alternative to 80, which is duplex.

[/ QUOTE ]I thought it was the other way around - that marinas which used to use 37A exclusively now usually use 80 as well, because European visitors don't have 37A on their VHF sets.

jh001ace

Visit site

If it gets someone on the water with a VHF and Plotter whats the problem? Perhaps you've bought a DSC vhf and Colour plotter for 5x this price and now have buyers remorse?

st599

Visit site

The lack of a CE mark breaks the licence conditions under the Wireless Telegraphy Act/RTTE Directive and is illegal to import for SALE in the UK.

So 2 laws broken.

However it'll still be safe as the US Underwriters lab (UL Sticker) are as strict as CE for RF/Safety performance

RestlessL

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was the other way around - that marinas which used to use 37A exclusively now usually use 80 as well, because European visitors don't have 37A on their VHF sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, M did originally stand for Marina, and has been largely superceeded by Ch80. However, picking Bembridge as an example from Reeds:

R/T Hbr staff Ch 80; Hbr Launch Ch M

Ch 80, being duplex, is impractical for the Hbr Launch.

MoodySabre

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

If it gets someone on the water with a VHF and Plotter whats the problem? Perhaps you've bought a DSC vhf and Colour plotter for 5x this price and now have buyers remorse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the case - I have neither a plotter nor a DSC VHF. That's why I was interested in this item and bothered to find out more about it. I thought I might be doing some other prospective buyers a favour by pointing out the true position. That doesn't deserve a harsh comment does it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have perhaps alerted some of you who will now bid - incitement to break the law - oh blimey /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pvb

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Oh dear, there's a lot of confusion here! There's no earthly reason why the harbour launch shouldn't have a handheld with channel 80 set up as the shore station - loads of marinas do this and issue handhelds to their staff.

Heckler

Visit site

Egypt, picking up the lingo, when someone was chuffed they would say something that sounded like that. have used it ever since when a verbal punch in the air is needed!
bloody right i'll tell it how it is, fed up with getting ripped off by greedy importers.
Stu

RestlessL

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Oh dear, there's a lot of confusion here! There's no earthly reason why the harbour launch shouldn't have a handheld with channel 80 set up as the shore station - loads of marinas do this and issue handhelds to their staff.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how does the shore station contact the launch ?

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk

Why thank you Stu and its BROOKS by the way not BROOKES

Vested interest? well yes as a RYA SRC instructor I feel it is important that YOU know what you can and can't do.
As the Dealer Sales Manager for Standard Horizon I also feel it is important that YOU know what you can and can't do.
Many other sales people are not so bothered I guess.

If you and other had paid attention to many of my posts over the last few years you will see that all I am trying to do is ensure YOU and others have the correct info and are not basing all your judgements on hear say and old wives/sailors tails.

The issue with the CPV-350 is not CE but type approval.
By law YOU do not have to have a VHF but if YOU do YOU must comply with the law.

Under EU law and the Wireless Telegraphy act all radio's that transmit MUST comply with the law.

The CPV-350 does not. It is approved for use on US vessel not on an EU

This law has not bearing on where the boat is but its flag of origin.
The only time this is an issue is with the lower DSC class of SC101 as used in the US, this can only be used on vessels that stay in US water once they leave they must fit a class D unit.

I think you implications of vested interest was and is un called for but hey its a free world you can have your views as may other, most of whom are very thankful for the correct advice.
Maybe you have a vested interest in making sure other get the wrong advice? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is your choice and that of others to tkae the advice or not I just think you should have the right advice.

If you do fit an illegal radio please do me the pleasure of letting me have your full name and address! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just so you know by fitting the CPV-350 or anything like it you break two parts of the law, first is having the unit available for use, the second would be using it.
Both carry a fine of up to £5000, possible confication of the radio and your vessel.
Possible 18 months inside.
If you challenge this the fine has no limit.

All the best.

PVB I wish it was as simple as that that we are in some price fixing, sadly not.

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk

Also I do not work for an agent, I work for Yaesu/Vertex Standard/Standard Horizon.
I report to head office in Japan.
So where ever you buy a Standard Horizon product has no beering on my advice.

Cheers