Does it make any difference.....

Noddy

Visit site
What do you mean "Only in the mind" ?

Its all in the mind!

What dear mogy may be looking for is the concept of "existential angst." This is the realisation that you are ultimately alone in the world; there is no God but total freedom (hence the hippy movement).

The problem is that there is no guidance either. Thus extended solitude and physical isolation reinforces this idea of abandonment and leads to anxiety underpinned by the realisation of our personal mortality and the pointlessness of it all.

Was that what you were after??

CPD

Visit site
"existentail angst" is nowhere near as good as Sikaflex, especially 291.

If you mean safety, then there are arguments both ways. The closer you are to shore the closer you are to help. However the closer you are to shore then the more there is to hit - ships and even the shore itself. Certainly in heavy weather I would rather be well offshore - its one less thing to think about.

If you mean the "mind" stuff, then I will leave that to Noddy (Paul) but I do know that some people find it difficult the first time to leave sight of land, however once it has gone it could be 50 or even 500 miles away. Very few times did the thought that I was very far from land cause any anxiety, and the times it did, were the times that you gave yourself a jolly good talking to and just got on with it.

helixkimara

Visit site
FREEDOM
YES
Freedom, adventure, exploration, walkabout, peace, fear, anger, achievement, wonder, being with your own god, nature tranquil and violent, survival and loads more.
Yes

Wansworth

Visit site
I have not been sailing for a while but in my youth spent a summer cruising the south coast in a Macwester kelpi.I just recall being in the middle of Lyme Bay on a dark night and being quite happy,looking back I must have been foolhardy or had "existentiial angst" !!! I was just pondering as I was planning a small voyage and it occued to me that I seem to be concerned more about saftey than I used to be!!

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that the same thing? "Only" and "All" being one and the same?

[/ QUOTE ]Ouch!

Thats going to keep me awake for a few nights. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Noddy

Visit site
Yes but every thought is a concept!

In fact, as we've never met, you are just a concept!

Which means........ there is only me! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Beer is good! I like Beer! Happy Happy Happy!

Noddy

Visit site
But what is norma....? No don't go there.

Are you implying that there might be an active fungal component to the fine timber I am currently butchering into a rubbing strake? Or perhaps a really pungent batch of stickyflex?

Who cares if I REALLY REALLY enjoy woodwork?....... I can give it up........ Any time I want to.........I've just got a bit of a cold at the moment - thats all......everything is fine....... I'm going to lie down for a bit...