Do you like your boat?

RupertW

Visit site
After nearly 14 years the answers is still no. Not remotely compared to the previous 3 boats I’ve owned. But I love the time spent on board and the way the boat copes with bad weather and just plods on with little fuss upwind or down.

The Q

Visit site
I designed her and built her, 27-23 years ago, yes I like her but...
There is always room for improvement, this winter she's getting a new design of rudder head, and changes to the tabernacle.

samfieldhouse

Visit site
I think all boats are a compromise; but I am very content with the compromises in the design of mine. She meets my needs perfectly and yes, I LOVE her.

Poignard

Visit site
She still scares me but a little less than she did.
The only time mine makes me nervous is if I have to manouver astern in a marina.

This despite the fact that in 27 years I have only once damaged another boat, and that was by scraping a little bit of paint off her wooden topsides. I was mortified, and immediately offered to pay for the repair, but her gentlemanly owner assured me I shouldn't worry myself about it, and only reluctantly accepted the bottle of very good scotch whisky I insisted on giving him.

johnalison

Visit site
I’m very fond of my boat which I have had since it was new in 2000. At 34’ it is large enough to be comfortable without being a handful. It has very few vices on the water and its compromise of steadiness and speed up and downwind suits what we have done, which was mainly offshore sailing in the Channel and Baltic. There was a short time when we thought of upgrading to a second-hand 39, and although this would have been nice I think I would have had to trade down or stop sailing earlier.

Alan S

Visit site
I’m very fond of my boat which I have had since it was new in 2000. At 34’ it is large enough to be comfortable without being a handful. It has very few vices on the water and its compromise of steadiness and speed up and downwind suits what we have done, which was mainly offshore sailing in the Channel and Baltic. There was a short time when we thought of upgrading to a second-hand 39, and although this would have been nice I think I would have had to trade down or stop sailing earlier.
She.

PhillM

Visit site
I did love my old wooden boat Paean, but that was partially because I spent years (and fortunes) restoring her and partly because she was a present from my late wife. The bond was too stong and eventually I needed to let her go, otherwise I would be stuck in the past forever. So I downsized from 24 foot to 20.

I do love that now I've spent what was needed to refit Swift, she will give me many years of cheap and enjoyable service. When I start to think of retirement, I will happily trade her in for a bigger boat. But for now, shes about right for me.